Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 1:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Inruns Thread of Stuff (updated June 6) TRIBALS!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:49 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Possibly the worst photos ever. They were done on my moms digital camera (which hates me). So... yeah

Greyhound for a friend, second version.

First version (the one he chose. The jerk)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ahoteinrun/tribalbisonheaddown.jpg

The ginormous (13 x 8 inch) bison. Love it though.

I'm terribly sorry that my photos suck. But Lucy finally died. Bloody scanner. I'll need to buy a new one. All of these have now found new homes for moneys :)

Rooster
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ahoteinrun/rooster.jpg
Dave
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ahoteinrun/Dave.jpg
Brahma Bull Tribal
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ahoteinrun/brahmabulltribal.jpg
Indian Doe Tribal
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ahoteinrun/indiandoetribal.jpg

Evisceration is a sign of respect.

Last edited by ahoteinrun on Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:24 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:11 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

I really like your designs! It's great to see some more traditional inking ability, very nice sharp lines and contrast.

I love how the bull has mass to his stomach by the swirls of the design, he looks hefty and stocky like a bull should.

the muzzle on the second one is awesome too. I love how you kept it all black. Nice pose and design. I really wish I could either see these in person or at a higher res. There is so much detail.

Do you add color to these when they are finished at all? They are stong in black and white too.

Excellent work. Can't wait to see more!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:21 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

marymouse wrote:

Do you add color to these when they are finished at all? They are stong in black and white too.

Excellent work. Can't wait to see more!

Thankyou. There is more, I should link them I suppose... mmm. Maybe i'll get on that after my next session of studying. I've never dabbled with color... i'm now planning a large elephant... and i'd like to see if I could add color to that.

I just can't figure out how i'd add color to them. If you've any ideas, let me know, it's something i'd like to try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:52 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

I hope you don't mind, I did a very fast sample of what I had in mind with color. If you want me to take it down, I totally understand and won't be mad. I'm not stealing your art, it's just easier for me to explain visually. :)

Putting the lighten layer over the solid black in photoshop colours the lines themselves. You could keep it just as a few, like I did really fast here, or even get really detailed with your high-res scan and put a whole rainbow in! I put in a bit of texture to keep it looking tribal and traditional. Obviously, this would look a LOT nicer done at a higher resolution.

I think this approach would be more effective then actually adding colours over the black inks themselves. You could even try inking the original linework with colored ink... Do you use pens? I ink with Microns, they make a lot of colours. If you use a brush ever, there are also a ton of colored inks availible.

The only other thing I could think of for color would be light watercolour washes. I'd do this in addition to inks as well.

I really think the designs are gorgeous. I think they would look awesome on fabric. :)

Oh! Yes, even inking the drawings on paper that is already toned gives you the option of making some of the linework white. You could get some sweet lighting effects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:04 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Oh for the love of pete... that looks awesome.

Weird. I never thought that it'd... actually look good with color. But I dunno. Somehow you made it look good. You can't see it now, but i'm sitting here with a cookie hanging out of my mouth going "now how can I do that..."

Micron makes a lot of colors?! Since when?! Yes thats what I use to ink. But really the only colors i've seen them make are black/red/blue/green/sepia. I have quite a few brush inks/calligraphic inks but I havn't pulled those out in awhile (no time! no time!). Hmm. I wonder if I could get away with doing this with Prismacolor felts... they've got fine tips... Or I could do a lot of masking... oh dear, new technique idea. Agh!

Wow! Color! I don't play with color enough. Which is sad, because I secretly love it. I think i'm going to try this now... as in now. Excellent. Thankyou! My idea was more based on large blocks of color, almost... pop art like... lots of color... but i'm glad you did this (I never would've had the guts too).
Awesome.
Very very awesome. (but now I want you to color the rest of it, cause it's just so awesome...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:26 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

:o

I'm glad you decided to put up a thread of your art because its just so insanely gorgeous! I still dont know how you do that, somehow incorporate all the anatomy (like in that extremely detailed bison) and still have elaborate design running along its biceps, or on around the spine, and what's even more insane is how it all flows together! It makes me dizzy just looking at it (and knowing that this level of organisation is possible in a living person XD; ) Your artwork also makes me ashamed of my animal anatomy :P

Black and white gives your tribal animals a very nice tattoo-like style. I also do enjoy the colour Marymouse put in it, it's a bit more modern, a mix of your traditional and more digital artwork.

I look forward to seeing more pieces updated *-*

And yes, I have a couple of micron pens, I never knew they come in colour o_O. I also have copic markers - they're GREAT for colouring anything in (though just a tad pricey).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:17 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Maybe I exaggerated on the *tons* of colors thing... mostly I was thinking the sepia. I know they usually show up in the scrapbook section of the craft stores. I don't have a proper art store in my neighborhood, but I'd be willing to bet that they exist.... I shall do some research.

Yes, it does look like only a few colours... http://www.gellyroll.com/products/pens/pigmamicron/pigmamicron.html

It's kind of annoying that only the 05 pens come in the wide range of colors. I don't think I could ink with that size myself. I go between a 01 and a graphic 1.

Heh, well I am glad it inspired you a bit. I am glad that it was okay for me to start it... maybe I'll fool around with it some more over the weekend. It's something different then what I usually do.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:34 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Chibi : Heh. I don't know how to explain better how I do the tribals. I just... worked on it... for awhile... really the ones I did in high school look like tripe. I didn't look at other tribal art to get the design system down, I just started thickening lines up in my other art and it evolved into tribal stuff. Weirdness.

Mweep. Heh. *blush* it's not that great. I just study animals... a lot. Horses... a lot really. I'll maintain that if you can draw a horse you can draw any four legged critter. They're the basis for anything, and you can morph them to your ways with tweaks here and there. I like the black and white to, but I want to see if I can branch this out and morph it into something else, i've had a few ideas mulling around in my head for awhile now... but I dunno if they'll work out. We'll see. It just involves going big, and that could be difficult.

I've never seen a copic marker sold where I live in Canada. Only prismacolors and tria, Prismas I can get on sale for 2.50 each, and Tria... well those are more like 7 each, so I havn't bought those yet.

marymouse - I think i'll have to invest in something to mix inks in... that isn't glasses (my room mates would kill me), so that I could use my calligraphic points. It's been awhile since i've done it, but I wasn't so bad at doing that sort of art awhile ago. I think i'll need to work on this tonight... it'll drive me nuts if I don't.
Silly microns and thier lack of colors. *glowers* I like having archival quality ink to work with!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:03 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Location: Los Osos, CA, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
Myself as well as a fellow physicist think your art is really great. Keep up the great work. I love the following shapes becoming a whole form of an animal. Really beautiful in its simplicity, like a bubble chamber photo.

Set by Cukupan
Ohayo Nippon every Sunday at LW
I *heart* R
I'm on a boat like a boss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:26 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Location: It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.
I like how the line quality of the brahma bull is heavier and stronger and the deer is lighter and brighter. The first one reminds me of that northwestern kind of inuit (I think its inuit) tribal stuff. The deer looks more middle eastern to me, like a henna tattoo or something.

Anyway they're both quite good likeness of the animals, and very good design and pattern on top of it. Lovely work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:21 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Wow. That effect is incredible; I practically want to print that out on t-shirt paper so I can wear that, it's so awesome.

Too bad I don't have any t-shirt paper.

I need to do something, anything, that good with ink. I'm terrible with ink, nad this is... wow. I can't say how cool this is enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:18 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I'm trying to think, but I don't believe I've seen (m)any tribal works from anyone other than you before. It means it's always great for me to see some of your work. I feel like a baby taking its first steps into tribal artland when I see your pieces. It's a really good experience, might I add.

I do like the new style in the second picture. Now I'm wondering what a Chinese style one would be like. It reminded me of Chinese paper cutouts, the way the flora, fauna and borders are done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:38 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Location: Faster than a speeding IM! Stronger than an ox on steroids! Pinker than a bottle of Pepto-Bismol!
Ohh those are soo hawt! You guys are obviously very talented and ~:> approves. Much likey!

Hold onto your seats people... the SL is back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:23 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Aww... he's so cute. *sniffles* I just love my Dave. (yes, his name is Dave and no I will not change it to Tuareg the magnificent)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:00 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Location: It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.
Very nice, he's a cape horn bison? Or some kind of bison. I forget.
I like how he's heavier in his upper body, like bison tend to be. Cool.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next