Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: German Shepherd Tribal
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:31 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ahoteinrun/Tribalshep.jpg

I live! Sorta... I did two massive tribals at Christmas (one 16x 20 and another 24x32, dragon and a bear respectivly) and now I sorta hate them. They're so exhausting. But I was commissioned because I Was broke, and I wanted food... so I finally decided to start offering my work out for tattoo design. And this is my first. It may be subject to change due to the clients wants, but I tried. Who knows...

There will be more added to this thread tommorow when i'm done the sheltie tribal. Yay... commissions.
Commissions = food.
Food = happy.

Commissions = happy!

Evisceration is a sign of respect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:40 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I love your artwork <3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:47 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Hoo, impressed by your tribals, as always :) I love how it flows so nicely towards his back legs, they and his tail look so natural, in particular.

One small criticism, though? *ducks* His snout strikes me as slightly less german shepherdly as the rest of him. I'm not quite sure how, maybe I think it's a little less long/pointy than some I've seen? It's definitely very recognisable as a shepherd though, and very graceful/strong, at that.

Nyum nyum nyum...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:15 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Hey Maz,

with reguards to the shepherd nose thing, it regionally varies. Shepherds that actually come from Germany have a more blunted muzzle/different eye types then those from North America, so perhaps it's just another difference from those in Aus? Frankly i've never seen an Australian German shepherd! This was done with the reference photo's of the clients own dog.
And apparently the client finds it quite acceptable. So i'm a happy camper for the time being!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:22 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Oh, Inrun, that tribal is just breathtaking! Gosh, you are so talented.

Tested made this fabulous set for me!!! Isn't it great?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:31 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Awesome! That's really good, Inrun. As for selling them for tattoo designs, that's a great idea. People need to start getting cool tattoos: no more flaming dice. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:16 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Fiddelysquat wrote:
Awesome! That's really good, Inrun. As for selling them for tattoo designs, that's a great idea. People need to start getting cool tattoos: no more flaming dice. :P

Okay, my brother whom I occasionally love dearly (I joke I joke... I love him all the time), has a flaming skull on his left shoulder, a celtic cross on his right shoulder, a purpled flaming skull on his right forearm, and a big koi fish on his left arm, as well on the undersides of his arms he has written in purple flames the names of his two sons (one on one side, the other on the other side). On his leg he has "Gibson" up the calf muscle... and to cap it off?
He wants to get a big tattoo on his back which is a half angel, half demon and on the angels side he's going to write all the names of people he likes, and on the demons side (yup you guessed it, you smart cookie you!), he's going to get the names of everyone he's ever disliked.

My brother has no taste in tattoos. Well... the celtic cross isn't so bad, but he wants me to make a gargoyle for it since he didn't get it done at a very good place and it's faded quite badly. Yup.

And thankyou Rach, Morningstar and Fidds (and Maz, though i've already thanked you).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:18 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Sandra, have you ever thought about making your tribals into notecards (like a greeting card, only without writing inside)? For something like an animal organization or zoo. Because I could easily see something like this for sale by a humane society or wildlife organization. I don't know how involved a process that would take, but I do believe that people would buy notecards with your artwork on the front. And that would keep you in money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:10 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Location: Watching little birds fly kamikaze missions into the walls.
Morningstar wrote:
Sandra, have you ever thought about making your tribals into notecards (like a greeting card, only without writing inside)? For something like an animal organization or zoo. Because I could easily see something like this for sale by a humane society or wildlife organization. I don't know how involved a process that would take, but I do believe that people would buy notecards with your artwork on the front. And that would keep you in money.

Ooh, that's a fantastic idea Morningstar! I would definitely buy them!

Sandra, I've missed seeing your tribals. They're always so amazing to look at. This one is great and I can see it working as a tattoo quite nicely. Keep up the great work!

It was an honor serving you PPT. I will miss you.
Click here to join my new werewolf forum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:42 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Mmm... can't say i've thought about greeting cards. That seems like it may be a bit more work for some reason. But maybe i'm just super lazy. To be honest I sort of hate them still at the moment due to the Christmas tribals which were huge and which I finished both of on Christmas day (I did two in the period of 48 hours that were huge, I have a right to hate them). But they seem to be my biggest interesting thing, so I don't know. Drawings aren't normally thought of as a 'high art' form, thats more of a painting/sculpture/media thing now. Which is funny since so much of everything stems from drawing. I'm sure if I could figure out how to work these into paintings i'd be rolling in dough... but until that time i'll have to content myself to hating the process of drawing them.
It's just filling in all that black. I hate it. It's tedious, it takes forever. Blech. But maybe I can get my home zoo to support me. I wonder if they ever have art shows... *hrms*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:40 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

I was thinking along these lines. The person who would agree to make up the cards (or yourself, even) creates a stamp of the image--cut out by laser, at least I think that is how it is done. Then uses it to ink the image onto the cards. That way you don't have to fill in all of the black yourself--or else those cards would take FOREVER! Sandra, your work is really good. Really good. And the simple, gracefulness of your tribals would definitely appeal to people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:02 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Morningstar wrote:
I was thinking along these lines. The person who would agree to make up the cards (or yourself, even) creates a stamp of the image--cut out by laser, at least I think that is how it is done. Then uses it to ink the image onto the cards. That way you don't have to fill in all of the black yourself--or else those cards would take FOREVER! Sandra, your work is really good. Really good. And the simple, gracefulness of your tribals would definitely appeal to people.

Ahh you're talking about block printing? Or Linoleum cuts. Yeah I know how to do those. I actually enjoy doing those (and have done a large scale tribal one). It still took forever, but it was enjoyable enough. And in the eyes of the art world my work is only 'passable'. Heh. It's fun to be shunned by your peers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:37 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

ahoteinrun wrote:
Hey Maz,

with reguards to the shepherd nose thing, it regionally varies. Shepherds that actually come from Germany have a more blunted muzzle/different eye types then those from North America, so perhaps it's just another difference from those in Aus? Frankly i've never seen an Australian German shepherd! This was done with the reference photo's of the clients own dog.
And apparently the client finds it quite acceptable. So i'm a happy camper for the time being!

Ah! I did figure that you would have based it on a picture, if not quite a few :)

The ones here look like the traditional Inspector Rex, I guess - quite a definite bulkiness and then point to their noses.

ahoteinrun wrote:
It's just filling in all that black. I hate it. It's tedious, it takes forever. Blech.

:( I guess using Photoshop and the pen tool (that draws curves) would make it less credible to the art world? Poo. I suppose it is nicer to be able to hold a drawing and be able to frame it and know that you touched every pen or brushstroke - it's not quite the same looking at a printout and thinking "I tweaked each of those pixels!".

Your tribals do come out so wonderfully, inrun. Not just anyone could do 'em ;)

Nyum nyum nyum...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:51 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Yes, linoleum cuts. That's what I was thinking of. I am brain dead today. 5 days (or more??? I've stopped counting) of 5-10 below zero (fahrenheit) weather, with 30-40 below wind chill, tends to do that to a person. lol

ahoteinrun wrote:
And in the eyes of the art world my work is only 'passable'. Heh. It's fun to be shunned by your peers.

Oh, pooh, on them. In the eyes of your fans, you do awesome work. And the fans, not your fellow art colleagues, are the ones who will be paying you for your work. My sister in law was a graphic artist. I am sure her work was shunned by her peers as well. But she made a heap of money working for a big ad agency. Not the most noble thing for an artist to do, but it did put bread on the table.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:01 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Morningstar wrote:
Yes, linoleum cuts. That's what I was thinking of. I am brain dead today. 5 days (or more??? I've stopped counting) of 5-10 below zero (fahrenheit) weather, with 30-40 below wind chill, tends to do that to a person. lol

Umm... welcome to Canada? You Americans are sometimes so funny when you complain about the weather. But I suppose it's all what you're used to. Anything about 85 F and i'm roasted and toasted. 18-20 C is my favorite temp.

Morningstar wrote:

Oh, pooh, on them. In the eyes of your fans, you do awesome work. And the fans, not your fellow art colleagues, are the ones who will be paying you for your work. My sister in law was a graphic artist. I am sure her work was shunned by her peers as well. But she made a heap of money working for a big ad agency. Not the most noble thing for an artist to do, but it did put bread on the table.

Pooh on them? Heh. Thats art! You're thinking like an artist now! Oh wait... I get what you meant. I got so excited thinking about the problems I could cause... *sighs*.
I know. But it's hard when you'd like acceptance from your peers but you just can't get it because you're not conceptual enough. Oh well. I always planned on being a sell out artist, so I don't know what my problem is with doing that. *sighs* I'm just grumpy because I have to write 3 Precis and I really really hate them. (Greenburgian theory vs. Mary Kelly! Hiya! BEGIN Fight!)
*goes crazy*

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]