Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:10 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: "What's My Hometown?" GAME - ROUND 5 (ends Thu 2/5 12am NST)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:12 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

What's My Hometown? GAME
I thought it’d be fun for people to share a few facts about their “hometown” (however you define that) and have people guess the town. It’d be a neat way to learn about places around the world from a local’s perspective rather than the typical tourist traps.

The game will proceed as follows:
The number of players will be the number of rounds.

For each round, the asker will post 10 clues about things/events that can be found in their hometown. They should be able to be found by an internet search, although they don’t have to be easily found. Things that can be found near the hometown are okay, as long as they are identified as such. The ten clues should be sufficient to narrow the hometown to the correct town. The clues should also allow players to identify each thing/event in the town by its name (the thing to be identified should be underlined).

After the clues are posted, the other players will have 48 hours to try to solve all the clues and guess the hometown; their answers should be PM’ed to the asker. At the end of the round, the asker will post the correct answers (in spoiler tags with links to details) and a tally of everyone’s points for the round (10 points for the correct hometown, and 1 point for each clue answered correctly). The highest-scoring contestant for the round (who has not already asked) will be the next asker, until everyone has had a turn asking.

If anyone has any questions for the asker, they must be posted on-thread (in spoiler tags). The asker may choose to answer or not, also on-thread and in spoiler tags.

At the end of all rounds, the player(s) with the highest total win(s).

Here’s a sample clue:
1) This city’s park had to shut down its famous fountain during a recent drought, and sustained damage during a recent tornado.

If you put “park fountain tornado” into a google search (without the quotes), Centennial Olympic Park (located in Atlanta) is the fourth entry.

So in your PM to the asker, you’d put:
City: Atlanta, GA, USA
1) Centennial Olympic Park

The same clue could be used for clue 2 if it were written “2) This city’s park had to shut down its famous fountain during a recent drought, and sustained damage during a recent tornado” (then the answer would be “2) Fountain of Rings").

When the asker posts the answers, they would put

Rounds have started. New players are welcome to join at any time. Just post a message on-thread asking to be added to the player list, and PM your answers for the current round to the asker. All rounds will end at least 48 hours after they were started, at a time designated by the asker.

Players (Scores as of Round 2):
DM 0
Mongrel 38.5
Miyu 37.5
Pipsqueeek 20
Pixa 0
Siniri 19
StuMan 3

Blue graffitied on my signature... But it made me laugh, so it's all good!

Last edited by Siniri on Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:02 pm, edited 20 times in total.

Post subject: Re: "What's My Hometown?" GAME - SIGNUPS OPEN
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:32 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

if somebody actually does one for atlanta, i'd probably guess it. x)

sign me up. this sounds like fun. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:42 am 
PPT Warrior
PPT Warrior

Might be useful if you remove the info in your 'location' tabs in your profiles guys ;) :P

Want Neopets goodies for FREE????!!??!! Sure you do! Check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=38039 :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:24 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Maniac, I agree that you should try to remove hints to your hometown that are sprinkled around PPT (I did so before I even posted up this thread). But I used Atlanta as my example because it's not what I consider my hometown, even though it's where I live now.

DM, you could do Atlanta as your own hometown, but it'd be really easy for a lot of us. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:54 am 
PPT God
PPT God

This sounds fun. I couldn't really do it with my hometown, though, as it's only got about 1000 people in it... could I use my whole county/town where I go to school and surrounding area/something of that sort?

<3 Laq

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:02 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

pipsqueeek wrote:
This sounds fun. I couldn't really do it with my hometown, though, as it's only got about 1000 people in it... could I use my whole county/town where I go to school and surrounding area/something of that sort?

Sure. I figured that'd be a problem for some, which is why I said it could be however you define it. So the clues could be "this county" or "this region" (e.g., Low Country of Georgia, Outer Banks of NC, Sandhills of NC, the Triangle of NC) as long as it is findable by an internet search.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:32 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

:P I'd like to sign up, but I'm slightly apprehensive because I think it would be kinda easy to find where I live... I suppose it depends on who's playing. Hm. Sure. I'll sign up.

Click the wonderful signature. You know you want to.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:30 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Siniri wrote:
Maniac, I agree that you should try to remove hints to your hometown that are sprinkled around PPT (I did so before I even posted up this thread). But I used Atlanta as my example because it's not what I consider my hometown, even though it's where I live now.

DM, you could do Atlanta as your own hometown, but it'd be really easy for a lot of us. :)

Well, if we wanna get technical, Atlanta IS my hometown, but I currently live in Greenville, so...
I'd most likely end up doing the region since Greenville in itself kinda...doesn't have much. XD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:14 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

I'd like to get at least one more player, but we'll start Monday regardless, probably around 7pm NST (10pm EST). I can do the first round.

I decided to give points for each clue as well as the place because many of us have mentioned our hometowns on here before -- but still, DM, you didn't have to make it easy on us by announcing what you plan to do! ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:00 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

I would like to join.

Bring KISS to my Hometown

Last edited by Evil Stu Man on Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:59 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Siniri wrote:
but still, DM, you didn't have to make it easy on us by announcing what you plan to do! ;)

Who said I had announced what I planned to do? ;D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:58 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Round 1: Siniri
1. One of my favorite landmarks in this city is this statue that faces her twin in Scandinavia.
2. The first construction project under the U.S. Constitution was built in this city, and it is still standing today (although getting to the top can be a bit scary).
3. This city’s life-saving station was converted to a museum that includes a breeches buoy demonstration.
4. At this city’s aquarium (full name, please – I knew it before it was an aquarium), you can pet a horseshoe crab or get a tour of a salt marsh.
5. My dad and his coworkers placed (I think they won, but I was rather young) in this city’s annual festival’s sandsculpting competition (and my siblings and I spent the day ...lugging sand and water).
6. While tourists head to the waterfront, locals know to watch fireworks at a park that features a mountain made of trash bearing this city’s seal.
7. I placed 5th among girls ages 10-12 three weeks after my 10th birthday in my first road race, this city’s 11th annual Thanksgiving day race’s 1-mile fun run held at the ...answer to clue 6 (my dad placed 2nd among walkers for his age group, even though he’d run the whole thing!).
8. I stood up my first love at this world-famous(?) surf shop that bears the name of one of this city’s streets.
9. My brother-in-law spends months every year inspecting a nearly-marathon-length engineering wonder of the modern world that is partially located in this city.
10. Some of the earliest European settlers erected a landmark more than 400 years ago (though the original has since been replaced) that is still (controversially) featured on ...this city’s seal.

... so, what’s my hometown?

Just a hint -- some of these will be pretty tough to solve before you figure out the city, so you'll have to work back and forth. But they're definitely all findable on the web! Remember to PM me your answers before 7pm NST (10pm EST) Wed. 1/14. Post any questions in spoiler tags on-thread. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:16 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

What are the grey ellipses for?
And is everything within the city itself or just in the general area?

<3 Laq

Post subject: Re: "What's My Hometown?" GAME - ROUND 1 (ends 7pm NST Wed 1/14)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:35 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

The (nearly) invisible gray ellipses are simply to indent the lines to make it slightly prettier -- seriously, you weren't even supposed to notice them.

Everything is in the city itself, except for #9, which, as noted, is partially in the city.

Post subject: Re: "What's My Hometown?" GAME - ROUND 1 (ends 7pm NST Wed 1/14)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:45 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Ah, I see. My screen is smaller, I guess, 'cause they're randomly in the middle of lines for me :P
Wait, what's the point of putting the questions in spoiler tags?

<3 Laq

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next