Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 9:30 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: "What's My Hometown?" GAME - ROUND 1 (ends 7pm NST Wed 1/14)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:19 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

I can't really remember now what my logic was, but I think the reason for the questions in spoiler tags was so that others could choose not to look at them if they wanted to challenge themselves -- so really only questions that might give something away need to be. For example, someone might post a question such as
Is the twin for number 1 in XYZ place?
and others might not want that hint -- of course, I don't know how they would know that they don't want to look without looking. o_O

Maybe just put the part that's a potential spoiler in spoiler tags from now on? Oh, and if your question's too specific, my answer will probably be "I can't answer that" whether you're on the right track or not... And of course, if you're on the right track, you're only giving hints to your competitors.

Blue graffitied on my signature... But it made me laugh, so it's all good!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:24 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

I would like to join please. xD

Thank you. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:50 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Miyu wrote:
I would like to join please. xD
Sure thing. I've added you to the list.

EDIT: I haven't gotten any answers yet at all. I realize you still have two hours left, but I might extend the round if I don't get any by the deadline -- what's the fun if I don't get to see any wacky guesses? :P I hope I didn't make it too hard. Please try to get those answers in ASAP.

Here's a last-minute hint that may or may not help:
You might be able to figure out the state (or at least narrow it down substantially) based on the last clue... and that should help you get the city.

Last edited by Siniri on Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:57 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Location: I don't know, but there'd better be chocolate. [art by Fiddelysquat]
I'mma join! Totally didn't realize this existed before, and thought I'd splashed my hometown around everywhere, but it turns out I haven't!

"Oh, better far to live and die/Under the brave black flag I fly/Than play a sanctimonious part/With a pirate head and a pirate heart."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:00 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Mongrel wrote:
I'mma join! Totally didn't realize this existed before, and thought I'd splashed my hometown around everywhere, but it turns out I haven't!
You're in. I guess you're lucky I haven't gotten any answers yet...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:18 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

'tis definitely what you said. A bit hard until you figure out the city. xD
On some of the names, are they what the locals call them.. or just what they are 'officially' called?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:29 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Miyu wrote:
'tis definitely what you said. A bit hard until you figure out the city. xD
On some of the names, are they what the locals call them.. or just what they are 'officially' called?

I'll accept any name that satisfies the clue, as long as it's in the city. (By the way, you actually got all but two clues right -- and I think that one of those was a typo -- I'll accept corrections until the deadline.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:50 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Wow. It really is a lot easier once you've figured out the city. I'm still not sure how I managed that, though. Lots of lucky guesses, I suppose :P
How exact do the names have to be? If it's obvious that you were thinking of the right thing, but one of the words is a little off, does it count as right or wrong?

<3 Laq

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:15 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

As long as the name is recognizable as that place (or another place in the same city that fits the clue), then I'll accept it. And I'm open to "re-grades" -- if you can show me a link that uses the name you put down, I'll give you credit. I've received 4/6 responses, so I'm going to end the round on-time. I can tell you, it's a very close match!

Round 1 Answers: Siniri
The format is: Clue. Answer (search terms to find answer as first result – note that without the state/other terms, correct results were often still in the first page or two)

1. One of my favorite landmarks in this city is this statue that faces her twin in Scandinavia. the Norwegian Lady (statue faces Virginia)
2. The first construction project under the U.S. Constitution was built in this city, and it is still standing today (although getting to the top can be a bit scary). (Old) Cape Henry Lighthouse ("first construction project" Constitution Virginia)
3. This city’s life-saving station was converted to a museum that includes a breeches buoy demonstration. Old Coast Guard Station (Museum and Store) (life-saving station museum Virginia)
4. At this city’s aquarium (full name, please – I knew it before it was an aquarium), you can pet a horseshoe crab or get a tour of a salt marsh. Virginia Aquarium and Marine Science Center (Virginia aquarium)
5. My dad and his coworkers placed (I think they won, but I was rather young) in this city’s annual festival’s sandsculpting competition (and my siblings and I spent the day lugging sand and water). Neptune Festival (festival annual sandsculpting competition Virginia)
6. While tourists head to the waterfront, locals know to watch fireworks at a park that features a mountain made of trash bearing this city’s seal. Mount Trashmore (Virginia Beach parks trash)
7. I placed 5th among girls ages 10-12 three weeks after my 10th birthday in my first road race, this city’s 11th annual Thanksgiving day race’s 1-mile fun run held at the answer to clue 6 (my dad placed 2nd among walkers for his age group, even though he’d run the whole thing!). (Tidewater Striders) Turkey Trot ("Virginia Beach" Thanksgiving race Mount Trashmore)
8. I stood up my first love at this world-famous(?) surf shop that bears the name of one of this city’s streets. 17th Street Surf Shop (street surf shop Virginia)
9. My brother-in-law spends months every year inspecting a nearly-marathon-length engineering wonder of the modern world that is partially located in this city. Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel ("engineering wonder of the modern world" Virginia)
10. Some of the earliest European settlers erected a landmark more than 400 years ago (though the original has since been replaced) that is still (controversially) featured on this city’s seal. First Landing Cross or Cape Henry Cross (Virginia Beach settlers landmark seal)

... so, what’s my hometown? Virginia Beach (note this site has the answers to 5 of the 10 clues)

Round 1 Results: Siniri
Player Score (missed clues)
Pipsqueeek 20
Mongrel 19.5 (4)
Miyu 18.5 (8 and 10)
StuMan 2 (1-3, 5, 6, 8-10)
DM 0
Pixa 0
Siniri 0
Half points were for nearly-right answers that weren't quite right enough for full credit -- e.g., leaving off the second part of the name in clue 4, or leaving off part of the number in clue 8.

Can I just say I'm really glad I only have to write up and score one of these rounds?

With a perfect score of 20, Pipsqueeek gets to host the next round!

Last edited by Siniri on Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: "What's My Hometown?" GAME - ROUND 1 Complete!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:28 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Location: I don't know, but there'd better be chocolate. [art by Fiddelysquat]
I'll post my questions in the morning, assuming pip doesn't contest her answer.

"Oh, better far to live and die/Under the brave black flag I fly/Than play a sanctimonious part/With a pirate head and a pirate heart."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:23 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Congratulations!

I was stuck on Rehoboth Beach, Delaware for the longest time. Until I searched 'Delaware engineering wonder modern world' - and found the CBBT. xD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:57 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Ok that was very difficult. At least I got a couple right. I dunno why google came up with Statue of the little mermaid for me.

Bring KISS to my Hometown

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:08 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

I just googled Pipsqueeek's response of "Cape Henry Memorial" for number 4, and there's a wiki page that uses that term to describe the cross, so she gets full credit and a score of 20/20 -- and the privilege of starting the next round. Sorry, Mongrel (I was a stickler on the "Marine Science Center" part b/c that's all it was when I was a kid).

I realized that it'd be tough to narrow down the choices of cities (especially with so many life-saving stations-turned-museums), but I knew that Virginia Beach was the only one to satisfy all the clues, and that it showed up within the first two pages of a google search for most clues (trust me, I spent a long time googling words from my clues to see if you could get it, but not too easily). And the last clue indicated that it really had to be either in FL, NC, or VA.

The first clue was actually the hardest to word for me b/c that wiki article kept coming up as the first hit no matter how I worded it, and that would have made the whole thing too easy. I thought people might have considered going through the Scandinavian countries, and it pops up at the top once you put Norway in. Of course, since I knew what I was looking for, it was a lot easier for me. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:12 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

When I read the first clue I immediately thought of the little mermaid, and spent a while trying to get that to work. Which, obviously, it didn't. Then I tried googling the museum, as I thought that would be the easiest... heh. I finally got it after I realised that 400 years ago would have to be right at the beginning of colonisation, so probably virginia, and searched for landmarks there, which came up with the lighthouse, which fit a different clue :P. Yay for lucky hits?

So, um, thinking last night that I wouldn't be next, I haven't actually got my clues worked out yet. I'll go do that. Unless Mongrel's got hers ready and wants to go now.

<3 Laq

Post subject: Re: "What's My Hometown?" GAME - SIGNUPS OPEN
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:15 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Round 2: pipsqueeek
1- You can learn Japanese or Chinese at this college's famous summer program.
2- This year, as a senior, I get to have a solo number in the ice show that is a part of this larger event put on by the college.
3- On October 22, 2007, much of downtown(including the high school) was evacuated after this happened for fear of chemicals in the air.
4- This national historic site was vandalised last year mostly by students from my high school during a party over christmas vacation.
5- In the winter, you can go down Lang, Allen, or anything in between at this place where I work as an instructor.
6- About half an hour away is this lake that, while not a great lake, recieves goverment funds associated with the great lakes.
7- My dad is on the organising commitee for this annual event which features a week of free concerts.
8- This bridge appeared in the movie Me, Myself & Irene.
9- This covered bridge built in 1820 is still in use today.
10- A small park across from the library has a marker commemorating this man whose invention was important for agriculture in the Midwest.

So, what's my hometown?

As a note, it's not my actual hometown, as my actual hometown has nothing in it. It's the one right next to where I live, and where I go to school/do everything else. It's not quite as small, but I still had to get kind of creative to find 10 things that weren't obvious and didn't overlap too horribly(ie, I didn't want everything to be from the college, 'cause that'd make it easy). Also, 4,5, and 6(obviously) aren't actually in the town, but you should be able to find them in connection with it.

I'm not entirely sure when the answers have to be in by. I guess saturday at 7pm nst? But someone correct me if I'm wrong.

<3 Laq

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next