NeoDex
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Wordle
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:54 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Favorite Cheese: Mozzerella String Cheese
Another Threeday for me. My average is slowly creeping down with most days lately being 3. Still only 2 Twosdays for me so far out of 27 plays, and one failure.

Doing the math, it looks like I am at 3.54 in Wordle - for only the plays on my "usual" computer. Phone plays or other computers are not included. Mostly because that would be too much effort to compile :)

ETA: Number dropped. Today was a "4" day :(

ETA2: Number dropped even further. Today was my first "6" day. Far too many possibilities, even with the last 4 correct. :x

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:06 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Yeah, I got today's in five, but only because I blew guess 4 to eliminate 3 of the 4 remaining possible first letters. I saw a lot of people who struck out today after having the last four letters correct for most of their guesses. I don't think they were playing in "hard" mode, either, so I'm not sure why they didn't eliminate possibilities...

Blue graffitied on my signature... But it made me laugh, so it's all good!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:05 am 
Administrator
Administrator

That is what I needed to do today as well. I had the last 4 in the 3rd guess, but there were 5 or 6 possible words, so I "wasted" guess 4 using 3 of those letters and had to do the same on guess 5 which narrowed it down to the only remaining possible in guess 6. I reckon' I am happy with finishing in 6 instead of not getting it at all.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:33 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Couldn't resist trying it at midnight when I'm sleepy. I eliminated a lot of potential words by guess three, and then it took a while for me to find a fourth (correct) guess that used all the info I had. Neopets actually helped me because 99% of the time I've seen the correct word has been in Neopia.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:05 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Siniri wrote:
Couldn't resist trying it at midnight when I'm sleepy. I eliminated a lot of potential words by guess three, and then it took a while for me to find a fourth (correct) guess that used all the info I had. Neopets actually helped me because 99% of the time I've seen the correct word has been in Neopia.

Wordle or Jordle?

My 2nd ever "Two" day today. Got lucky with the first word with 2 correct +2 in wrong location. (Wordle 269 2/6)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:29 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

I've not tried Jordle again since the first day. The word was Smelt.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:06 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I also played Jordle only once... No clue what the word was.

Barely squeaked a "6" day today (Wordle 270 6/6), even though I knew 4 letters (wrong location) in my first guess. Far too many possibilities :(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:30 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

It's interesting that a lot of my friends struggled yesterday because of too many possibilities. I had narrowed it to two choices by guess three and got it on the fourth (of course, because I usually run through all the other possibilities before finding the correct one). I had eliminated a lot of the possibilities with the letters I guessed in my first and second words, so I was surprised when I saw several friends griping about their first fail, and I had to look back at my first couple of words to see all the possibilities.

Smelt was the Wordle word that I've heard mostly in Neopets (that smelting game, which I don't think is actually smelting...). The Jordle word was Meuka, I think... Which really deterred me from playing again, because I don't have the lore memorized.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:53 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Another 4 day for me. After 2nd guess, I was not so sure I would get it at all. After 3rd guess, it was then narrowed down to one or two possible. Guessed the most common and got it.

It is definitely not Smelting in that game. I must have played the same day as you because Meuka sounds very familiar... Maybe. But, I was also deterred from playing again. I will stick with words I might actually know.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:31 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Fun fact: you can play Wordle in a number of other languages. French:
My current skill level in French and Irish is intermediate-to-advanced learner. I was able to get the right last four letters on guess 3 in French, so I proceeded to use my next three guesses on the only 3 other words I knew that ended in those letters. It ended up not being one of those. Oops. That's my first (and only) failure in any Wordle game.

So far in English, I've not encountered plurals or verb conjugations. The French version rejected a verb conjugation as not a word. Since I can't find out the right solution for today via Google, I don't know whether it is a plural (or an interjection). Meh. I'll try again demain (or later today, since it doesn't reset at midnight my time).

Irish:
I got the Irish right in four guesses. Both the Irish and French took me only a little longer than the English puzzle usually does. (The Irish puzzle has not reset for me, but I can't remember if I did it before or after midnight my time.)

Spanish:
My Spanish is at a late beginner level, while my Japanese is still at an early beginner stage. For both of these languages, I had to brute-force the puzzles. I tried twice in Spanish and guessed both words after blundering my way into identifying four of the letters and then searching a dictionary/anagram finder to guess possible words for the final letter, getting the correct words by guesses 3 and 5.

Japanese
Japanese has some modifications because of its use of a syllabary instead of an alphabet: 12 guesses to identify a four-syllable word, with three extra types of hints. I was able to brute-force it using logic and the dictionary (that is helpfully linked), but it took me a much longer time than is reasonable to do every day.

I started a second puzzle, and after two guesses, I know that the first syllable has an "i" final vowel, the second has an "r" starting consonant, the third syllable ends in "o" or "u" (or is "n"), and the last syllable ends in "e" or "o," but I would still have to search the dictionary for too many possibilities to even come up with my next guess. (I did skim the app I use to learn words to check the lists of words for the easiest two Japanese language proficiency tests, but it isn't one of those words.)

Edit: While typing up this explanation, I thought of a common word ending that could fit the above ("mono," which means "thing") and realized I had a bit more info on what the second syllable could be. After a minute or two of testing possible words, I confirmed the second syllable, and on my fourth guess I got the right word. It means container, but written in kanji instead of the syllabary, I already could guess the meaning, so I already half-knew it! Yay! I think as I learn to optimize the info I have better, I'll be able to do the Japanese ones faster, though they'll still be for days when I have more free time.

First impressions on the puzzles' difficulties:
I'll probably try to do the French and Irish puzzles when I have a spare five minutes. If I have another five, I'll start the Spanish and Japanese, but give up instead of brute-forcing it if I clearly haven't learned the word yet. (Only 1 of the 3 Japanese words I learned doing the first puzzle would I ever realistically need to know. The two Spanish words might be useful if I were a victim of a crime, but it's doubtful I'd remember them by the time I find myself in a situation where I need to ask for help only in Spanish.)

tl;dr: Wordle can be a fun way to flex your brain in a language you're learning, but I recommend it for one you have a considerable vocabulary in (obviously).

https://blog.duolingo.com/wordle-in-other-languages/

Edit a couple of days later: I've actually figured out a system for guessing words I know in my various languages to narrow down to the right word even when I don't know it. I managed to get both the Irish and Japanese words in two guesses today!

Comparison between how results are displayed and how they help you learn the language:
Irish doesn't give you a histogram, but you can click to see the definition of the word (not sure if that's true if you miss because that hasn't happened yet). Japanese gives you yesterday's word if you didn't get it (with a link to its definition, along with the built-in dictionary search function). French shows today's answer on your histogram along with a dictionary link (but I didn't look on day one when I missed...). Spanish is similar to English.

I'm really liking this bit of language practice, and I'm getting faster, but I have to take a break between languages to adjust my brain to thinking in each language's patterns.

I won't care if I have to miss a day, but I can reasonably do all five language Wordles and Nerdle in less than fifteen minutes over the course of a day (though I usually only do 1 at a time when I need a quick mental break). I'll probably continue to do them in all the languages.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:49 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:18 pm
Interesting. I played the German version yesterday and managed to get it in 5. Not too bad, considering that I had expected to fail. Turned out to be exhausting because I am now too tired to play it today. LOL. Nah, I am tired for other reasons.

ETA:
Got it in 4 today. Was all excited when I had 4 correct letters in the right location on my first guess... Of course it took me 3 more tries to guess the correct 5th letter. *Sigh* This is typical of how my day has been going today.