Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 3:33 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Sea Kittens: PETA's attempt to make fish more adorable
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:32 am 

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=99249669

Quote:
"Sea kittens" is the new term being used by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, for the creatures they believe are in dire need of an image makeover: fish.

"PETA thought that by renaming fish sea kittens, compassionate people who would never dream of hurting a dog or a cat might extend that sympathy to fish, or sea kittens," PETA campaign coordinator Ashley Byrne says.

Byrne says that rebranding fish as sea kittens was obvious.

"Fish not only have the same ability to feel pain as a dog or a cat, but they also communicate with one another," she says. "They have complex social interactions; they form bonds; they express affection by gently rubbing against one another."

The PETA campaign boasts a colorful, interactive Web site aimed at children and their parents. It offers sea kitten bedtime stories and a design-your-own sea kitten in hopes it will build compassion in families.

"Most parents would never dream of spending a weekend torturing kittens for fun with their families, but hooking a sea kitten through the mouth and dragging her through the water is the same as hooking a kitten through the mouth and dragging her behind your car," Byrne says.

Alaskan Resistance

PETA has so far only promoted the campaign in North Carolina but plans to take it nationwide, even to Alaska — a state where fishing is both a source of recreation and many families' livelihoods.

In the small fishing town of Unalaska, population just under 4,000, some people see the campaign differently.

"I don't see fish as sea kittens; I see them as food," says 12-year-old Chastity Haskins.

Haskins is looking at the PETA site with her friend, Harmony Wayner, 11.

"It just doesn't look right," Harmony says. Harmony, the fourth generation of a commercial fishing family, looks at the cartoon fish and reads through the information on the site. "They say that they're intelligent, but they're not really," Harmony says. "They have tiny, tiny little brains. Very miniature."

The girls also take issue with the claims that sea kittens are unhealthy to eat.

"They only talk about farm fish — it's not wild Alaskan, which is very good for you," Harmony says.

Sea-Kitten-Friendly Environments

"I don't understand how it makes sense," says fisheries observer Mary Powers, who works on fishing boats to collect data on the catches. She thinks the campaign, which encourages people to petition the Fish and Wildlife Service to stop the hunting of sea kittens, is misguided. "It seems like it's discouraging Americans to buy our product, which I think is unpatriotic."

But Byrne says that even if people lose jobs in the fishing industry through the success of the campaign, they could find work in more sea-kitten-friendly environments.

"So as there is less of a demand for foods like fish, there is more of a demand for other foods, and jobs open up in those industries," Byrne says.

National Marine Fisheries Service management biologist Brian Dixon doesn't see the change coming anytime soon.

"Well, it may raise some money for PETA, but I don't think it'll change the way we manage the fisheries," Dixon says. "I think I may eat some sea kittens tonight."

The funniest part is that even the 11 year old kids can see through this idiocy.

IDB Rater, Pink Inker

Post subject: Re: Sea Kittens: PETA's attempt to make fish more adorable
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:35 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I think it's hillarious.
But I think it's also trying to make a very important point. The oceans are being seriously harvested and brutalized. The estimates on how long it will take the fisheries to collapse keep shortening. The amount of waste and destruction that is happening in the oceans right now is sickening.
Everyone thinks about whales and how nice they are. Who thinks about sharks? Or cod? Or other fish that aren't so pretty? At least PETA is trying.
It's more then I can say for a lot of other organizations.

Evisceration is a sign of respect.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:01 am 
Administrator
Administrator

theonlysaneone wrote:
Quote:
Haskins is looking at the PETA site with her friend, Harmony Wayner, 11.

"It just doesn't look right," Harmony says. Harmony, the fourth generation of a commercial fishing family, looks at the cartoon fish and reads through the information on the site. "They say that they're intelligent, but they're not really," Harmony says. "They have tiny, tiny little brains. Very miniature."

The girls also take issue with the claims that sea kittens are unhealthy to eat.

"They only talk about farm fish — it's not wild Alaskan, which is very good for you," Harmony says.

The funniest part is that even the 11 year old kids can see through this idiocy.

While neither the campaign nor PETA is particularly inspiring, the 11 year old kid in question isn't so much seeing through this idiocy as simply retorting with the local brand.

Will you stop with the honour stuff?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:26 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

I can just see it now at the Fish and Wildlife Service -- tens of thousands of letters asking to save the "sea kittens," and the people there just scratching their heads: "Sea kittens, sea kittens... Catfish eggs? Sea lion pups? Crazy quacks..."

Blue graffitied on my signature... But it made me laugh, so it's all good!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:03 am 
PPT God
PPT God

PETA ought to just give up already. They've already been exposed as hypocrites on the euthanasia issue, anyway.

"A lot of people run a race to see who is fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:10 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

I think that is quite hilarious.
I'm all for saving animals and such things.
But, this is too much.
A fish is a fish.
I don't see the need to try and mask them as something else, to get kids to like them.
Finding Nemo? I thought it was a quite popular movie, they didn't need to make him look like a kitten.

Though, I actually looked at the 'Make your own Sea Kitten'. Uhm. Since when have kittens had mustaches, unicorn horns, elephant ears.... o.O

Thank you. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:36 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Miyu wrote:
I think that is quite hilarious.
I'm all for saving animals and such things.
But, this is too much.
A fish is a fish.
I don't see the need to try and mask them as something else, to get kids to like them.
Finding Nemo? I thought it was a quite popular movie, they didn't need to make him look like a kitten.

Though, I actually looked at the 'Make your own Sea Kitten'. Uhm. Since when have kittens had mustaches, unicorn horns, elephant ears.... o.O

Right, because the loss of fish will have no effect on the rest of the world. If we over fish the fisheries it won't affect anything. Mass extinction clearly won't happen with the undisciplined harvest that currently happens in the oceans.

OF COURSE!

And PETA may have crappy tactics, but for the most part in my opinion (and no I do not support most of PETAs tactics or their hypocratic methods) at the very least they're trying to bring attention to issues that most people really do not have a clue about.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:44 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

ahoteinrun wrote:
I think it's hillarious.
But I think it's also trying to make a very important point. The oceans are being seriously harvested and brutalized. The estimates on how long it will take the fisheries to collapse keep shortening. The amount of waste and destruction that is happening in the oceans right now is sickening.
Everyone thinks about whales and how nice they are. Who thinks about sharks? Or cod? Or other fish that aren't so pretty? At least PETA is trying.
It's more then I can say for a lot of other organizations.

your my best freind! i mean fishing is fine and all but the oceans are like a big toilt. i like that they want too make the "little kids" like it more.

Thank you Byakuya San for the set!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:44 am 

It's true most people aren't paying attention to overfishing (and the results it can have, see also: Pacific wild salmon), but honestly? This is just dumb.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:16 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

shapu wrote:
It's true most people aren't paying attention to overfishing (and the results it can have, see also: Pacific wild salmon), but honestly? This is just dumb.

I can't disagree that it is anything but dumb. But perhaps this will at least get attention.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:08 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Location: New Zealand Weapon: HaaH Sword Species: Human Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
If you ever end up being invited to a PETA strategy session, I would recommend glueing your palm to your face so to save valuable energy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:12 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Christopher wrote:
If you ever end up being invited to a PETA strategy session, I would recommend glueing your palm to your face so to save valuable energy.

I'd be more liable to glue... well no I can't say it but it's mentioned a lot on Two and a Half Men (if you watch the show).

Stupid PETA and their idiocy. I have no defense for so much of what they do but the fisheries collapse is a serious worry for me for whatever the reason.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:01 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Christopher wrote:

Oh dear, that is funny. xD

I'm all for bringing awareness to the problems at hand, and the potential problems.
I just don't think calling fish sea-kittens is the proper solution.

Thank you. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:16 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Ski wrote:
PETA ought to just give up already. They've already been exposed as hypocrites on the euthanasia issue, anyway.

And terrorists.
(for a different reason, mind.)

You know, I've decided.
For every animal a PETA member doesn't eat, I'm going to eat three.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:31 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Favorite Cheese: Mozzerella String Cheese
IHMO - Best quote from the article:
Quote:
“I don't see fish as sea kittens; I see them as food.”
Chastity Haskins, 12

Hmmm.. I think I'll have the fillet of sea kitten today.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next