Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Nintendo Wii
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:42 pm 

Have you bought the Nintendo wii console?
Whats the console and the games like have you experienced any problems?
Is it living up to all the hype and worth the wait?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:59 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Location: Outside on your boulevarde scaring small children. Um... or in Illinois.
I've played but one game for it (Excite Truck). From what I've played, and seen others play, I wouldn't even consider getting one for a few months (after they release some better games). Most of the games out for it now use the controller in a gimmicky way, ways that would be more fit on the controller and are just stuck on the "wii-mote" just because they can. Maybe it's just to show what it's capable of. I wouldn't make a decision on that game alone, though, because it's gotten pretty rotten scores. But to br truthful, there's nothing good out for it yet (unless you like Zelda). Speaking of Zelda...

...there's Twilight Princess for the Wii as well, but many are saying the GC version is better because the Wii controller doesn't really add that much, albeit the bow and arrow and uses like that are pretty cool.

Verdict? Never buy a console in the first couple of months it comes out. It's just silly because there are never any good games for them (well, N64 was an exception).

If you're planning on getting it a couple of months or later into 2007, I'd definitely say go for it. I haven't heard of any problems outside of the controller bands snapping, but since that's being fixed, I don't think it should be a problem. (I wouldn't say it's lived up to it's hype, but it's worth the wait.)

I'm just waiting for Super Smash Brothers Brawl to come out so I have at least one game to play on it. :\ I'm sure at about that time there will probably be a flood of new games coming in, hopefully.

CLICK IT!
Thanks to Laq. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:03 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

A: They're sold out here.
B: I'm not a gamer.
C: I don't have the cash or the patience to get it.

So the answer would be no.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:32 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

DM u suck..

I'm in the same boat though, I'd like one, but they cost soooo much.. :O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:36 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

got one, love it, conidering changing net to wireless just cuz of it.

I need a new sig. >_>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:39 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Kitten Medli wrote:
DM u suck..

I thought you loved me! *emo*

I think they're selling the two pieces at Wal-Mart for like $90 together. I don't remember. XP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:08 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

DM was on fire! wrote:
Kitten Medli wrote:
DM u suck..

I thought you loved me! *emo*

I think they're selling the two pieces at Wal-Mart for like $90 together. I don't remember. XP

Oh noes! Chatspeak by Medli, Emo-ness by DM!

Mocking people's typing is soooo much fun. :P

Unfortunately, since people never give me cash for Christmas, I'm pretty much locked in to buying a Wii at Best Buy. Gamestop probably has 10... but noooo, I have Best Buy gift cards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:26 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Went halves in one for Christmas, and love it :)

Yes, consoles are more expensive when they first come out. But that's always the case, and the Wii is a lot cheaper than it's current competitors (Xbox, PS3).

Kugestu: I'm not sure that Excite Truck would be a particularly good example of a Wii game. I haven't played it (so I have no idea), but I don't think that a racing/driving game would show off the Wiimote at is best.

Wii Sports is fantastic fun, especially for playing with your friends. I can see why the Wiimote could be seen as gimmicky, but it really is very fun and easy to use, and pretty innovative too (I heard that Sony is going to follow suit - they've patented a version of it). My bf and I even managed to get our parents to have a go, and that's no easy task! I think the Wii really shines when it comes to multiplayer party games. The new Rayman game looks really good for this (which is also out now).

For single-player games, Zelda seems pretty good so far. I think the Wiimote adds an extra interesting dimension. I'm also looking forward to trying Trauma Center, which I heard should also be pretty good.

So yeah, thumbs up from me.

Nyum nyum nyum...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:27 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Roxas_X wrote:

Got one, love it (as does my entire family) and am loving our wireless net.

But really, we have WiiSports, WiiPlay, Zelda (which took me a week and a half to finish) and just got Super Monkey Ball Blitz. And its really the funnest thing ever. Sooo worth it! And now I just can't wait for more games even more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:32 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

ria wrote:
Roxas_X wrote:

Got one, love it (as does my entire family) and am loving our wireless net.

But really, we have WiiSports, WiiPlay, Zelda (which took me a week and a half to finish) and just got Super Monkey Ball Blitz. And its really the funnest thing ever. Sooo worth it! And now I just can't wait for more games even more.

we only have Wiisports and Tony Hawkss Downhill Jam, and no wireless net, and i STILL love it.

I need a new sig. >_>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:45 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Location: Outside on your boulevarde scaring small children. Um... or in Illinois.
Quote:
Kugestu: I'm not sure that Excite Truck would be a particularly good example of a Wii game. I haven't played it (so I have no idea), but I don't think that a racing/driving game would show off the Wiimote at is best.

That's the problem, all the games out right now (save Zelda and possibly Wii Sports, which actually looks fun) are just gimmicks that could easily be done on a normal controller. Excite Truck was the best example for this (I've seen people play plenty of other games, but the only one I've played myself so far is that game) All they did was add the Wiimote Compatibility to make it look like something new when it really isn't (Trauma Center, Rayman, and Excite Truck ) The point is there ARE no games (Save Zelda) out now that show the Wii at it's best. Red Steel was a pretty good example of how the Wii controller should be used, but I haven't heard many good things about the game, unfortunately (and I was looking forward to that one).

I think this is just a first round of games to get people to realize how the the Wiimote is going to work, and aren't necessarily designed to be masterpieces (aside from Zelda, of course). It's the same thing that's done on every console, only every once in a while the lineup will have a masterpiece in it.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that the Wii is the best current gen console out there right now, and definitely has the most going for it at this point in time (360 doesn't have the fanbase, and PS3 is too freaking expensive), but it hasn't escaped it's past just yet, and definitely has flaws with it's lineup (this generation of gaming consoles aren't so... interesting).

CLICK IT!
Thanks to Laq. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:42 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

(I see another topic on the Wii already, but I figure that one's more about the launch, so I'll leave this one unlocked.)

Well, the Wii has certainly been creating a lot of buzz. Even my dad and sister seem to take a bit of interest in it. Nintendo set up four demo booths in a local mall, and I hear they're doing it elsewhere too- and this tactic seems to be working. I've even seen a 50 year old Chinese man playing tennis against a mid-30s huge black guy. (Not trying to be racist here, but you get my point.)

I tried out bowling and found it surprisingly compelling. After all, a videogame that gives me the same bad score as a bowling game in real life must be pretty accurate. I'm wondering how the console will fare in the long run, but nonetheless I'll probably be getting one once they start going in stock. WarioWare and SSB:B look very good so far.

Kugetsu, I'm wondering what you mean about Rayman being gimmicky? As far as I know, all the minigames were built around the motion function. If anything, Zelda would be the "gimmicky" one based on your standard- the functions were tacked onto the GC game. Anyway, the "gimmick" isn't really a bad thing- take a look at reviews for Madden 07, for example. It's your average videogame, with movements instead of buttons, but it's getting a lot better reviews cause it's a lot more engaging. And I think that's the point of the console- move away from the mindless button mashing and let people get sucked in in a more realistic way. It's just a question of how it's pulled off that makes it a smash or a dud.

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:34 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Bingooo. As a proud Wii owner myself... (with the arsenal of 4 additional games: Rayman, Super Swing Golf, Trauma Center, and of course Zelda) you can hardly call the use of the Wiimote being gimmicky...

Rayman is impressively fun to play with a group of friends. If not on the Wii, it would be just a lame hashing of random minigames. But... the fact that we've got a new dimention of play dealing with the Wii-motes capabilities... it just makes it oh so much more fun. [And as a result... cant wait for the next Mario Party!]

And specifically towards Trauma Center. It is probably THE game that shows off the wiimote powers. Forceps actually make you use a "pinching" motion using the top/bottom buttons... defibs make you use the paddles... push 'em forward... Not to mention the intensity of the game itself... (You literally get that *sigh of relief* after successfully finishing one of them grueling operations. Hoo boy.

And with Wario Ware coming in a few weeks... followed by Wii Play... then the marquee game titles in the very near future... It's a wonder how I'm going to get anything done next semester... *pets the Wii*

(I could go on more and about Zelda too! But... words are cheap. As said throughout its life... Playing is Believing. And I'm too tired.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:43 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

I thought about buying one but went the 360 instead. The thought of flicking my wrist around doesn't really appeal to me and other than Zelda there aren't any games that really interest me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:39 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Kugetsu wrote:
That's the problem, all the games out right now (save Zelda and possibly Wii Sports, which actually looks fun) are just gimmicks that could easily be done on a normal controller.

Yeah, I agree that Excite Truck seems pretty gimmicky, along with some of the other releases (Happy Feet? I haven't heard much about it).

I also heard someone describe Wii Sports as a "proof of concept" thing, and I think that was a pretty good description. So yeah, in that respect, it's probably not quite as good to get a Wii now as it might be in a few months... when I imagine some more "fully fledged" games might be out (a proper golf game, a proper tennis game, etc).

Then again, the Wii Sports are quite attractive because they are mini games. I wouldn't go out and buy a full tennis or golf game, but enjoy them a lot as mini games.

Nyum nyum nyum...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next