Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Fable 2
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:56 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I was checking Kotaku, and I saw that the developers at Lionhead have been doing some mini doco's on making the game, heres the 4th one (they aren't connected or anything, just on different aspects of the game)

http://www.kotaku.com.au/games/2008/01/ ... ble-2.html

Anyway, i've been pumped about this before i was born. Seriously, I went back in time and made my fetus excited about it. Thats how cool its gunna be. Anyone else as pumped about it as me?

Do you miss Bill? I miss Bill. Go to this thread to petition Bill Back!

Post subject: Re: Fable 2
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:52 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Definately. Fable was the 2nd game i played on my 360, borrowed off a mate to see what all the hype was about xP Wish they would release some more stuff about it, but guessing they're trying to avoid over hyping the way they did with Fable.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:49 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Given Lionhead studios other "Awesome games" (That being, Fable 1 -overhyped, Black And white - Overhyped, pretty pants, Black And White 2 - Take a guess.) I'm pretty much anticipating the game to be utter Jank.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:43 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I desperately dissagree with you. Fable was overhyped sure, but that doesn't detract from it being a brilliant game. Black and White 2, I really enjoyed aswell, and as far as I know, that wasn't overhyped at all. It was just the right amount of hype. What didn't you like about it? The graphics were supreme, the storyline was the good lionhead story with all the stupidly funny bits aswell.

Anyway, i'm just going to go around planting oak trees. Thats all i'm going to be doing. Nevermind the storyline and killing monsters. Oak trees. everywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:28 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

My Problem with Fable was that the balance was... Atrocious.
I mean seriously bad, I don't think I was ever bested in a fight once I worked out how to time rolls, and the few enemies you fight were such a tactic is pointless are so late in the game that you are atrociously over-powered and pretty much just get up and whack them upside the face again.

As for B&W 2, pretty much the same issue, I remember beating the last two or three levels by building once of the Epic power buildings, (I'm kinda channelling D&D here, so the only thing I can think of calling them are epic ritual spells.) chucking my villagers up and them tearing the map apart a city at a time.
I play all sorts of RTS', I'm used to stupidly overpowered abilities, but those things were the equivalent of the Core Defender in C&C2 (If you don't know it, you fight it as kind of a "Final boss" - it takes direct hits from the Ion Cannon, Cluster missiles, and entire legions of tanks to take the thing down, all the time it annihilates everything you have on the map)

The balance of B&W2 aside, it also lacked... a purpose.
Yeah, you could build a mahusive city and be the evillest monster this side of tartarus, but why bother?
Your monster gets a bit emaciated and you get some torture spike thing that doesn't really hold any purpose.
Games like this (Absolute power over a civilisation) hold a great place in my heart, but it could never hold me as much as the simple elegance of Civilisation 2.

Inspite that, I do hope for the best for Fable 2, I'll probably buy it to be honest, and I do admittedly still go back to Fable 1 every few months (I like wiping out towns. No real reason, just because) but I am... afraid I'll be disappointed by it.
If Spore fails me too, I'll not be happy.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:55 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Asthaloth wrote:
My Problem with Fable was that the balance was... Atrocious.
I mean seriously bad, I don't think I was ever bested in a fight once I worked out how to time rolls, and the few enemies you fight were such a tactic is pointless are so late in the game that you are atrociously over-powered and pretty much just get up and whack them upside the face again.

'time roll' ... is that ability to slow down time? I used to use that, then assasins rush (so i'd jump behind them) and deal out a few combos. Was never really tricky to kill people, i'll give you that. But,not being a person who does online guides for games, the game had alot more for me. My favourite was the evil door (getting someone to follow you, then killing them infront of it... hehehehe. I found out later it was easier with chicks, but meh). And the combat multiplyer was a challenge. After I played the game through the first time, (took about 8 solid hours and I loved it). The game is just visually different from other games and it was a difference I preferred. But the second time, doing everything slowly and finding all the little side quests and doors and learning how to steal properly... I didn't feel cheated by the fact that the individual opponents were easy because the game had so much more to offer. Not really having been enveloped in any overhyping or having any thoughts on what the game would be like before playing it I really enjoyed it. Plus... heroes should be able to open a can of whoop smurf on bandits, its only natural.

I have a huge dislike for grinding in games, i'll do it sure, but with a sour taste :P Fable I never felt like i was grinding, even if the enemies were easy, because I could kill each person differently and with different spells. But thats just me, and I respect them as reasons for you not liking it. :)

Asthaloth wrote:
As for B&W 2, pretty much the same issue, I remember beating the last two or three levels by building once of the Epic power buildings, (I'm kinda channelling D&D here, so the only thing I can think of calling them are epic ritual spells.) chucking my villagers up and them tearing the map apart a city at a time.
I play all sorts of RTS', I'm used to stupidly overpowered abilities, but those things were the equivalent of the Core Defender in C&C2 (If you don't know it, you fight it as kind of a "Final boss" - it takes direct hits from the Ion Cannon, Cluster missiles, and entire legions of tanks to take the thing down, all the time it annihilates everything you have on the map)

The balance of B&W2 aside, it also lacked... a purpose.
Yeah, you could build a mahusive city and be the evillest monster this side of tartarus, but why bother?
Your monster gets a bit emaciated and you get some torture spike thing that doesn't really hold any purpose.
Games like this (Absolute power over a civilisation) hold a great place in my heart, but it could never hold me as much as the simple elegance of Civilisation 2.

I suppose thats true, and your reasoning actually made me like the game a little less... and I think the only way you were meant to beat the last level was with wonders. Plus, the AI was a little crappy (sure let me take cities one by one rather than send out your massively superior army to decimate my blooming civilization. And yeah okay cool be agressive, thats fun, but when you're repeatedly sending single squads of 20 men at my tethered warmachine, thats a little sillly dont you think?)

Multiplayer would've been nice. But i still think its a good game :P

Asthaloth wrote:
If Spore fails me too, I'll not be happy.
[/quote]

Ditto.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:55 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

zorg wrote:
'time roll' ... is that ability to slow down time? I used to use that, then assasins rush (so i'd jump behind them) and deal out a few combos. Was never really tricky to kill people, i'll give you that. But,not being a person who does online guides for games, the game had alot more for me. My favourite was the evil door (getting someone to follow you, then killing them infront of it... hehehehe. I found out later it was easier with chicks, but meh). And the combat multiplyer was a challenge. After I played the game through the first time, (took about 8 solid hours and I loved it). The game is just visually different from other games and it was a difference I preferred. But the second time, doing everything slowly and finding all the little side quests and doors and learning how to steal properly... I didn't feel cheated by the fact that the individual opponents were easy because the game had so much more to offer. Not really having been enveloped in any overhyping or having any thoughts on what the game would be like before playing it I really enjoyed it. Plus... heroes should be able to open a can of whoop smurf on bandits, its only natural.

Oh, no, I had forgotten the incredibly broken Time slow spell (More like time Stop once you've maxed it) Nah, I meant that the larger opponents (Trolls, Balverines, Etcetera) you can completely avoid any of their attacks by timing a roll properly, making them stupidly easy to beat.
Although I shall grant you that the side quests and whatnot were quite fun.
Except that mission quest where you sneak into the bandit camp, that bothered me something awful - Sneaking was not something I like to do. Blowing stuff up was more me. (Circle of evil or whatever it's called. AWESOME)

zorg wrote:
I have a huge dislike for grinding in games, i'll do it sure, but with a sour taste :P Fable I never felt like i was grinding, even if the enemies were easy, because I could kill each person differently and with different spells. But thats just me, and I respect them as reasons for you not liking it. :)

Ohh, I hate grinding too, unless there is some real purpose to it, or i have spangly spells.
Neverwinter nights has a fair bit of grinding, but Call lightning or fireball or whatever makes it all better. Destruction loving thickie at times.

zorg wrote:
I suppose thats true, and your reasoning actually made me like the game a little less... and I think the only way you were meant to beat the last level was with wonders. Plus, the AI was a little crappy (sure let me take cities one by one rather than send out your massively superior army to decimate my blooming civilization. And yeah okay cool be agressive, thats fun, but when you're repeatedly sending single squads of 20 men at my tethered warmachine, thats a little sillly dont you think?)

Multiplayer would've been nice. But i still think its a good game :P

I've heard its possible to do the last level with a legion of armies, but to be honest I was so bored out of my mind by that point that I just chucked a tornado at everything to cross it off my list (I refuse to not finish a game that is playable.

Still, saying that Fable is a fun game to play when the most testing moment of a game is whether to kill Thunder or let him suffer as I kill his sister, take his true love and humiliate him infront of the world.
I really did hate Thunder.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:33 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Fable 2 seems like it will have somewhat more realistic skills though. I'm sure there will still be magic, etc., but to a more realistic and fair degree. I highly doubt that you'll be able to conquer and entire city so easily any more. Money seems like it will be more balanced also, where you earn it from quests and can buy your own shops. Anyway it looks amazing to me.

A great game that requires more strategy than grinding, except for 20 quick levels, is guild wars. It's an addictive MMORPG that has an unbelievable storyline. And the PVP is amazing. Overall it's a better version of every grinding game there ever was.

And Spore will be awesome. AWESOME. I hope.

Thanks DM!
By the way, I'm from iDB.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:59 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

My hopes for Fable 2 have increased -they really do seem to have learned from their mistakes.

Spore however, is shipping with the spangly new version of SecuRom, so it can go jump off a bridge.
Which saddens me.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]