Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 10:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: The state of videogaming.
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 10:18 pm 
PPT Baby
PPT Baby

Videogaming. The second I say that, different people think different things.

Sadly, most people think of geeks with too much time on their hands, playing videogames in a dark room with no outside contact. Brain rotting.

However, these days videogames are no longer as simple as pong and pac man. Today we have games such as GG:XX, SSBM, VF4 and MvC2.

The above are all examples of fighting games. These games are often looked very deeply into, and these days more and more tournaments are springing up around the world.

I personally have taken part in the SSBM tournament scene, and feel that there's so much here that is ignored in videogaming, so let me cut to the point:

Videogames require as much skill, talent, and ability as any sport and those who are skilled at videogames should be rewarded for their talents.

Ok, now that nobodies taking me seriously anymore, I'll jusitify this view.

People, such as myself, have invested 1000's of hours into bringing their game to tournament level: Do not think I'm saying 'Lets pay kids for playing a game for fun lololol!1!'

Not just anybody can do what I have done, and I'm still at a relatively low level caompared to the best players in American and even Europe, but considering the amount of time that must be invested, videogames requires as much commitment to be GREAT at as any sport with training etc.

Next point that everyones gonna jump on: Get a life.

But the thing is playing videogames is extremely social. In the time I have joined the tournament scene, I have met and became friends with people in America, the netherlands and other people as close to home as edinburgh! (I'm scottish)

With all the new friends I have made, surely videogames is more than just a run away? At these tournaments, you can really feel a social bond between everyone and meeting people through videogames is as healthy as meeting people through a passion for basketball.

'It'll never happen'

Oh, but it's already starting. For a long time now tournaments have been held all over the world in fighting games. In america there is a V-games tournament for SSBM, a tournament in every state (I believe) and all teh victors playing off. The grand prize is astonishing. 10,000 dollars.

You can imagine the kind of skill that must be involved, if as much as 10K can be put on the line: No random can win this.

MLG: Major League Gaming is also aiming to establish tournament scenes for the respected fighting games. Perhaps this move by larger companies over random members of the community holding tournaments is truely showing something:

Videogames is extremely under estimated in society, and as worthwhile as any sport. Sports can be played casually, but you won't get any money for it. The same applies to videogames.

So yeah, t3h Fergus has said it: What do you all think about videogames at this kind of level?

I know I'd be better posting this in a forum entirely dedicated but A) I like this place and I'm bored
B) Hey, I've been wanting to type this all for a while.
C) May as well make the first post of this section of the forum good, eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 10:56 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Very nice :)

I have a few things to add, I agree with you though

The major leauge Counter Strike tournaments have prizes of over $100,000, and accomodate and fly in the best players from around the world to meet eachother. Klans who have known eachtoehr for years finally meet

Anyway, its a nice way to make freinds :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 11:33 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Ragnarok Online is having a daily random giveaway (5/24-6/16) for tickets to go to the AnimeExpo in Anaheim California. There will be a Tournament this year where the best guilds will battle each other. First prize will be $3k and free subscription for 6 months. Second prize will be $2k and free subscription for 3 months. Third prize is free subscription for 1 month. Then the top two guilds of that tourny get to go to Seoul, Korea for the World Championship to compete against other guilds from around the world for a change to win $10k. Also, all winners get free airfare are hotel stays.

I'm not in a guild right now because I enjoy playing solo, but I'm really hoping we can win the free tickets to watch the tournament. That'd be excellent. :)

Image Image
<3 Divas rock! Click to join. <3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:34 am 
PPT Baby
PPT Baby

I don't know. You're mostly relating to fighting/action games, but RPG's are possibly even better, in the sense that they add challenging puzzles. I, myself, enjoyed SSBM a lot, though, before I sold my Gamecube in the hope of getting a PS2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:30 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Kairi wrote:
I don't know. You're mostly relating to fighting/action games, but RPG's are possibly even better, in the sense that they add challenging puzzles. I, myself, enjoyed SSBM a lot, though, before I sold my Gamecube in the hope of getting a PS2.

You can buy mine for... $500! C'mon, you know you wanna buy!

$10,000? Wow. And tell me, where might I go about signing up for such a contest of skill as this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:36 am 

I wish they had RPG contests. I react very well to situations, but not quickly, one reason why I tend to get my butt handed to me on a silver platter every time I play Counterstrike and other real-time games. On the other hand, I could wipe the floor with anybody in a strategy game, RPG, or generally everything. Anyone know of any free online RPGs/strategy games?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:41 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Runescape ( http://www.runescape.com ) is a free online rpg. There are quite a few people here at PPT that play it as well (at least in the old forums).

Dragon Court ( http://wild.ffiends.com/DCourt/Game.stm ) is a free online RPG as well. I used to play it all the time, but I had forgotten about it until I saw your post. :)

Image Image
<3 Divas rock! Click to join. <3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:58 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Korean TV stations air Starcraft: Brood War matches.

I play Final Fantasy XI, and I must say that is one extremely fun MMORPG.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:29 pm 
PPT Baby
PPT Baby

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh video games they are the best :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

thank you Koku

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:52 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

They have Madden (that football game) tournaments where the grand prize is $50,000. I heard about it on G4. ^_^

I'm not THAT good at video games, though. I usually get about three Game Overs trying to beat Sigma in Megaman X. I've had Sonic Adventure 2 Battle for over 2 years and I'm only at about 110 emblems (there's 180). In Phantasy Star Online, I got all my rares from my friend (except for a Diska of Liberator, but who uses a Diska?). I've had Animal Crossing longer than SA2b (I think) and I just got my upstairs a few weeks ago. And I can barely beat a level 9 Jigglypuff on SSBM. Which is kind of sad. And... you get the point.

It would be cool to win 10k from Chao Races, though. My Chao all pwn. XP

Zero set 13 of 26

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]