Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 11:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Portfolio Making
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:05 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

I'm trying to put together a portfolio to apply for an art college with. Any tips or suggestions?
Some specific questions: Is it better to use originals or prints? What's the best way to show off digital art? Are there any major advantages/disadvantages to web-based portfolios? Any recommendable books/sites about the subject?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:27 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Oooh... Um... I bet Ahoteinrun can help you with this. I know that she's an art major somewhere, so I'm sure that she knows a lot about putting a portfolio together. :)

Good luck applying!

I'm finally back for the summer, although hopefully I'll spend a little more time away from this screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:52 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Quote:
Is it better to use originals or prints?

Originals whenever possible. Prints are generally frowned upon, I suggest that if you don't have the original, you track it down and take a slide of it, and send in the slides. The place you are applying to should have portfolio guidelines which should tell you about what exactly they want, but my knowledge of things is that if you can't get the original, send a slide.

Quote:
What's the best way to show off digital art?

This ones, actually quite tough. I'd say ask the institution/s that you're applying to about it, just end an email, or phone to see if someone can tell you. Since i've never applied with digital art (since it's not one of my chosen mediums), I can't answer it. However, just pondering about it, I would say that printing off a GOOD, high quality copy of it, and then attatching a link would be a good start. But I could be wrong.

Quote:
Are there any major advantages/disadvantages to web-based portfolios?

I've never heard of anyone applying with a web based portfolio for an art school. I am unsure of the procedure you would have to go through, to send one in because it is simply so different from what would be considered a 'normal' portfolio.

Quote:
Any recommendable books/sites about the subject?

Unfortunately not that I know of.

However. I can give you a few tips.
Drawing from life is something... that is very important to see for many colleges. Technicaly drawings from life. So things like setting up stupid little still lifes of fruit, to forcing one of your friends or parents to sit so you can draw them is something a lot of people look for in good portfolios. It shows that you can properly render and create images. Although drawing from your mind and using your imagination is always a good thing, it's not often the best to apply with images like that. I was taught that the majority of the art that you use in a portfolio should be still life or real life drawings. Throwing in a few of your own, to show off your imagination is totally acceptable, that can often help you get in (because it shows you've got more then just technical know how, it shows you've got brains), but using too much of it, can play down your chances of acceptance.

However. Take what i've said with a grain of salt, I applied to go into Fine Arts, and you did not mention really what type of program you want to apply into. Fine arts is one thing, theres also illustration, design, animation... etc. *shrugs*

Was it you who said you wanted to go to Emily Carr? *tilts head* I can't remember exactly now. Meh. Anyways... hope this helps some. I'll see if I can ask Andrew (my friend), about the web portfolios for you. He'd probably have a better idea then me. (he's in Design at the U of A... so he does a lot of work on the computer)

Evisceration is a sign of respect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:13 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

ahoteinrun wrote:
Quote:
Is it better to use originals or prints?

Originals whenever possible. Prints are generally frowned upon, I suggest that if you don't have the original, you track it down and take a slide of it, and send in the slides. The place you are applying to should have portfolio guidelines which should tell you about what exactly they want, but my knowledge of things is that if you can't get the original, send a slide.

Quote:
What's the best way to show off digital art?

This ones, actually quite tough. I'd say ask the institution/s that you're applying to about it, just end an email, or phone to see if someone can tell you. Since i've never applied with digital art (since it's not one of my chosen mediums), I can't answer it. However, just pondering about it, I would say that printing off a GOOD, high quality copy of it, and then attatching a link would be a good start. But I could be wrong.

Quote:
Are there any major advantages/disadvantages to web-based portfolios?

I've never heard of anyone applying with a web based portfolio for an art school. I am unsure of the procedure you would have to go through, to send one in because it is simply so different from what would be considered a 'normal' portfolio.

I graduated with a BFA in photography and graphic design so I can give a few pointers. Originals are definately better than prints. Digital images are best done as high quality prints. All your work should be mounted on boards, photography on white (window mounted preferred) digital and graphic work on black. Paintings can be as is, drawings are recommended to be mounted. Web work generally should be sent on a CD just in case your site on the internet acts up and doesnt work right. All this makes it more professional and makes a better impression.

Check with the school you are applying with. Usually when a portfolio is required, you only provide the originals if you are having an in person meeting. If you have to mail a portfolio you send slides. If you haven't done slides before, I would recommend finding someone that has shot slides before to help. They can be difficult to do first time around if you don't know how to set up lighting and such. If slides are what you have to do, 3D work should be shot from several angles. You also should do slides of your digital prints as well as everything else. The problem with sending digital images on CD is compatablity problems, such as Windows to MAC or wrong version of needed programs, etc. As far as a web based portfolio that would be something to check with the school. Again you run into problems if your website decides not to work or something.

Hope this helps. Feel free to as any more questions if something isn't covered. Good luck with your portfolio and application to whichever school you choose.

Image ImageImage
Set me. Proud owner of a very hyper Australian Shepherd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:02 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Quote:
I graduated with a BFA in photography and graphic design so I can give a few pointers. Originals are definately better than prints. Digital images are best done as high quality prints. All your work should be mounted on boards, photography on white (window mounted preferred) digital and graphic work on black. Paintings can be as is, drawings are recommended to be mounted. Web work generally should be sent on a CD just in case your site on the internet acts up and doesnt work right. All this makes it more professional and makes a better impression.

I've never been told to mount my drawings, not once. *shrugs*
It's a space concern more then anything. Especially with entry level portfolios. By board however, i'm assuming you mean something like illustration board.

If I was still at school (which i'm not), I could have scanned information about how to properly take slide shots, set up... and things like that. But I don't have my notes on it, or the diagrams (oo... diagrams). Flatwork isn't has hard to photograph as sculpture though.

Evisceration is a sign of respect.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]