Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 12:59 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:42 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I saw this tutorial a rather long time ago, but it looks like it'll get the job done.
IrfanView
IrfanView Transparency Tutorial

Atjj wrote:
Ok this I get but the problem i'm having is those little jaggies that show up. It looks horrible! Any suggestions?
That's an inherent problem with transparency, there's nothing that can be done about it in *.gif format. *.png format can support partial transparency and it usually looks pretty nice, but *.png transparency doesn't display in Internet Explorer, also, the file sizes are HUGE.

kanashimi wrote:
..Does anyone know how to make transparency with Flash?
Flash isn't meant for making static graphics, I wouldn't be suprised if there wasn't a way of setting transparency.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:07 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Marissa wrote:
I saw this tutorial a rather long time ago, but it looks like it'll get the job done.
IrfanView
IrfanView Transparency Tutorial

Atjj wrote:
Ok this I get but the problem i'm having is those little jaggies that show up. It looks horrible! Any suggestions?
That's an inherent problem with transparency, there's nothing that can be done about it in *.gif format. *.png format can support partial transparency and it usually looks pretty nice, but *.png transparency doesn't display in Internet Explorer, also, the file sizes are HUGE.

Thanks Marissa! I'm glad it's not just me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:16 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Marissa wrote:
Atjj wrote:
That's an inherent problem with transparency, there's nothing that can be done about it in *.gif format.

You can minimise the jagged effects by selecting a "matte" colour. When you save a GIF with a matte colour, the program "fills in" the jagged pixels with this colour, making the lines look smoother... but it means that you can only use your transparent image on a single background colour only.

For example, if you chose a light gray colour as a matte - as many people do on these forums - then it will look great on light gray backgrounds, but will have a light gray "jagged halo" effect on any other background colour and look pretty awful (especially on a dark colour). I usually do it anyway though... I don't use subBlack, so I don't have to see it ;) :evil:

Anyway, I'm not sure exactly how you do this in PSP, but in Photoshop you can select a matte colour in the "Save As..." dialog (when saving as a GIF). I imagine it would be pretty similar in PSP :)

Edit: Actually, I just realised that I used a matte colour for my current avatar. Copy and paste it my av into a graphics program of your choice, and "Fill" in the background with a dark colour to see the jagged halo-ing.

Nyum nyum nyum...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:41 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

I used to use paint for transparency. But yes, it does discolour. I used to know someone who did cutouts in Paint, but I think she used another program. Wish I could get in contact with her.

Marissa wrote:
but *.png transparency doesn't display in Internet Explorer, also, the file sizes are HUGE.

And from my personal experiences, .pngs appear washed out on my monitors if I save in PSP, I haven't tried it in PS yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:27 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I believe the Macromedia suites have an option to export images as *.gif instead of saving them as *.png. I know this works in Fireworks, but perhaps you can go look for it in Flash.

Image Image

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2