Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: 3d castle building
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:50 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

This is going to be very hard but the idea came to me last night when I was thinking of how cool secret passages are. I'm going to make a castle, out of card, six floors made individually. Secret passages, rooms, most probably stairs.

One of the harder things is that the only materials I am using to make it is card and sell-o-tape.

Another hard thing is that I'm going to make the floors rearrangeable. Instead of making a set 1st,2nd,3rd.... I'm going to make it so you can change it from that to 2nd,5th,3rd.... except 6th which is the roof and will always be on top.

Are there any tips on which to make this easier, I'm also thinking of painting after I'm done which will be harder than from the start but I'm awkward like that.

If you want more details or want to be on a mailing list for pictures (yeah right) post here or PM me, otherwise post for tips or how crazy I am and how much time it'll take.

set by whhattisthiss. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:30 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

My friend is taking architecture classes and she does stuff like this quite often. Rather than cardstock and tape, I'd recommend you use foamcore or illustration board and glue, it's more expensive and time consuming, but the results are MUCH more professional looking. Another plus about illustration board especially is that it's very heavy and paints well.
As for assembly, it's a rather difficult thing to explain. My best explanation would be to have columns in set areas (since every floor will be interchangeable, this shouldn't be a problem) and build the separate areas around the columns, sort of like a Jenga tower. If you can wait for several days, she's taking photos of her latest such project for her portfolio and I can try to get you copies of the pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:47 am 
PPT God
PPT God

You can take an old phone book or any old newspaper and a blender (preferably and old one too because paper is going to mess it up and when it dries it is very hard to wash off). You blend the paper into pulp. If you want to try blending some very fine and some kind of chunkier. I think it helps to blend a little glue into the mix as well.

Then you take a pair of panty hose and stretch them around frame made of wire, like maybe a clothes hanger. Just make like a wire rectange and stretch the hose around it. You can pour some pulp onto this and make one square of paper. It looks really cool no matter what you do. When it dries it looks kind of like stone. You can make some squares of this and let them dry part of the way. But you can still work with them if they are kind of wet. You can make a wire frame and put this on it. I like blending more than paper mache strips because even if you paint the strips you can still kind of see it is made of strips of paper. But if you use some mash or some wet sheet-like peices then it will look better I think.

You could try making some recyle paper sheets like this and depending on what you use you can get different colors and thicknesses. If you cut out a lot of different sizes and colors you could sort of cut them into little rectanges like stone and when you finish your castle you can glue the paper on at the end for stonework.

I think it would be fun to make a castle with secret passages and all that. You can design it. It might be fun if you had the sims to design it on there and then try to build it. Or just draw what you want to make first.

If I were making a castle myself, I'd make it out of food. Then I could eat it when I get done. Like a giant gingerbread house. But that would get expensive. But it would be fun and yummy too.

If you want to try working with plaster, that can be fun to. And when you get done making something with paster you can put polyeuithane on it and it will dry really hard and shiny on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:55 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Aiggh...I'd be terrible at trying to help with this, but I'd love to see pictures/get updates as it comes along! ^^

Mas mothaionn tu fein mar rud eigin caite ar an dtra...
Lig dom goideail an croi duit...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]