Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:44 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:23 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

mazil wrote:
Ugh, it's all so incredibly pricey, isn't it? :(

From the list of features on that website, it sounds like Elements would be fine :) The only thing I'm a little bit worried about is the lack of the pen tool. I guess people would probably call it an advanced tool, and not critical... but depending on your drawing style (or aspired drawing style), it can be a really really useful tool.

Have you done much vector drawing before? (or heard of it?) It basically lets you draw nice smooth curved lines, like in Neopets images, or in many cartoons (eg. this lovely background, or this cartoon figure both seem to be vector-drawn). So if you're wanting to draw in a cartoon-style, it might be something to consider. It's hard to create lines that perfect without a pen tool, though it's certainly possible - it just takes a bit more effort. Then again, it takes a bit of effort to learn how to use the tool itself, too.

But... I'm not sure if that one tool is worth the extra money. And if you're into creating more natural-looking art, it probably wouldn't be too much of a concern anyway! ;)

I love vector art! But the pen tool comes in very handy even if you dont do vector.

And unless you've bought it already, I suggest Paint Shop Pro. Just because it bundles vector and most Photoshop's effects anyways. Photoshop may have more filters but Paint Shop Pro has Displacement Map. Kick me in the nuts and call me crazy but I think Paint Shop Pro is better for photo editing. >_>

Plus Paint Shop Pro is cheaper than Photoshop Elements. (On amazon.com anyways). If you're gonna buy something, go for Paint Shop Pro X.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:16 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

WIS wrote:
mazil wrote:
Ugh, it's all so incredibly pricey, isn't it? :(

From the list of features on that website, it sounds like Elements would be fine :) The only thing I'm a little bit worried about is the lack of the pen tool. I guess people would probably call it an advanced tool, and not critical... but depending on your drawing style (or aspired drawing style), it can be a really really useful tool.

Have you done much vector drawing before? (or heard of it?) It basically lets you draw nice smooth curved lines, like in Neopets images, or in many cartoons (eg. this lovely background, or this cartoon figure both seem to be vector-drawn). So if you're wanting to draw in a cartoon-style, it might be something to consider. It's hard to create lines that perfect without a pen tool, though it's certainly possible - it just takes a bit more effort. Then again, it takes a bit of effort to learn how to use the tool itself, too.

But... I'm not sure if that one tool is worth the extra money. And if you're into creating more natural-looking art, it probably wouldn't be too much of a concern anyway! ;)

I love vector art! But the pen tool comes in very handy even if you dont do vector.

And unless you've bought it already, I suggest Paint Shop Pro. Just because it bundles vector and most Photoshop's effects anyways. Photoshop may have more filters but Paint Shop Pro has Displacement Map. Kick me in the nuts and call me crazy but I think Paint Shop Pro is better for photo editing. >_>

Plus Paint Shop Pro is cheaper than Photoshop Elements. (On amazon.com anyways). If you're gonna buy something, go for Paint Shop Pro X.

Well, one of the reasons I want to buy a better art program is to do smooth lines. I draw in cartoon style and with paint it's impossible to do smooth lines, so that tool might be very handy for me.

Maybe I should buy photoshop elements AND psp X. PSP has the vector tool, right? Then I would also have vector. Both programs toghether will cost me 100 euro, still alot cheaper that the full version of photoshop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:56 pm 
PPT Baby
PPT Baby

You can do nice smooth lines with PSP. Just look at the pic I made, using only PSP8: Click here

I still say that PSPX is a perfectly wonderful program and that I doubt you would be disappointed in it if you got it.

Neopets: _leraje_

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:16 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Leraje wrote:
You can do nice smooth lines with PSP. Just look at the pic I made, using only PSP8: Click here

I still say that PSPX is a perfectly wonderful program and that I doubt you would be disappointed in it if you got it.

Wow, that's a really nice drawing! I love the line art! :)

Ok, so now I know that I'm going to buy them both, does anyone know any good photoshop elements and PSP X tutorials? I'm especially looking for tutorials on how to do smooth (non-pixely) lines and colouring turorials. Thanks for all the help! :hug:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:27 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Leraje wrote:
Just look at the pic I made, using only PSP8: Click here

Hehe, when I was thinking of vector drawings I could link to as examples, I actually thought of that picture of yours first! I saw it a day or two ago and went "ooooooohhhhhh smooooooth :D".

Fructy - I was trying to find a tutorial yesterday for you, but didn't have much luck! Here's one that shows the basics of using the Pen Tool, though: http://www.sketchpad.net/drawing9.htm It takes a bit of practice, but the results make it worth the effort :) That one's actually a tutorial for Photoshop (edit: Oh, actually, it's for Illustrator :oops:), but I think the Pen Tool tends to work the same in different programs (from what I've seen). Basic tutorials for vector drawing in Illustrator and Flash will probably translate pretty well too.

Hmm, PSP does sound like a good option! If you're thinking of getting both, maybe you might as well get just PSP to start off with and see how that goes :)

Nyum nyum nyum...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:53 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Thanks mazil :)

Is flash an art program too? I can download Macromedia Studio 8 UK for 15 euro, it contains flash too and has some other programs in it:
- Macromedia Dreamweaver 8
- Macromedia Flash Professional 8
- Macromedia Fireworks 8
- Macromedia Contribute 3
- Macromedia Flash Paper 2

Not sure if I want to buy these too. I don't want an art program overload. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:59 am 
PPT Baby
PPT Baby

Aaww, thank you guys! :hug:

Unfortunately, I don't know of any good independent tutorials for PSP, but it is supposed to have two hours of video tutorials included in the package. I learned how to use the program the hard way--trial and error. It took me a long time to discover the pen tool that I used to make that picture.

Flash is an art program. In fact, it's what TNT uses to make all of their art for Neo. As for whether or not you should buy it, I have no idea. I don't have any experience with it.

Neopets: _leraje_

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:46 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Leraje wrote:
Aaww, thank you guys! :hug:

Unfortunately, I don't know of any good independent tutorials for PSP, but it is supposed to have two hours of video tutorials included in the package. I learned how to use the program the hard way--trial and error. It took me a long time to discover the pen tool that I used to make that picture.

Flash is an art program. In fact, it's what TNT uses to make all of their art for Neo. As for whether or not you should buy it, I have no idea. I don't have any experience with it.

There aren't a lot of Paint Shop Pro tutorials, but the pen tool is pretty simular to Photoshop's. Still very confusing though, but once you get the hang of it it's alright. :)

I agree, you should try to get Paint Shop Pro X and see from there. From what I can see, it's very simular to Photoshop and has most of photoshop's functions, perhaps you wont even need Photoshop Elements. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:48 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Leraje wrote:

I've used it a tiny bit... and the vector drawing seems pretty good. There are a couple of extra ways to draw shapes, and options for stroke (the line thickness, colour, etc). I tend to feel a bit more comfortable in Photoshop though, because you have the range of other drawing tools to play with... whereas Flash pretty much only has vector tools (and animation, of course!).

Out of the others, Macromedia Dreamweaver would be useful if you're interested in making websites. It's a very good program! I don't know much about the others though :) (I think Fireworks is something to do animation as well)

Nyum nyum nyum...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:53 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

mazil wrote:
Leraje wrote:

I've used it a tiny bit... and the vector drawing seems pretty good. There are a couple of extra ways to draw shapes, and options for stroke (the line thickness, colour, etc). I tend to feel a bit more comfortable in Photoshop though, because you have the range of other drawing tools to play with... whereas Flash pretty much only has vector tools (and animation, of course!).

Out of the others, Macromedia Dreamweaver would be useful if you're interested in making websites. It's a very good program! I don't know much about the others though :) (I think Fireworks is something to do animation as well)

Fireworks is a graphic program... albet a bad one. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:42 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Quote:

Well, for 15 euro I can always try it out :) Maybe I'll buy a Photoshop for dummies book, there are tons of tutorial books you can buy on the internet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:31 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Photoshop is great if you know how to use it. I have Photoshop and I dont ever use it cause its so confusing.

And I want PSP but my dad wont let me buy it: :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:41 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Location: THE HEART OF DARKNESS. *ominous drums* Haha, just kidding, I'm stalking you. :D
PSP, as far as I know, doesn't run on Macs. Thus, I use Photoshop, and love it. :)

can't find the sig from this set, so instead, you get a <3 .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:39 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Xela of Xandra wrote:
PSP, as far as I know, doesn't run on Macs. Thus, I use Photoshop, and love it. :)

I have a friend who's running PSP on a mac...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:06 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

I downloaded a trial version of Photoshop and I'm a bit confuzzled. I have absolutely no idea how it works with layers etc.

This is my first attempt to draw something in Photoshop:

Lol, I still have alot to learn ^_^

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2