Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:24 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Photoshop or paint shop pro?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:56 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

I like to draw on my computer, but I only have paint. I want to buy a better art program, but I'm pondering whether I should go for photoshop elements or paint shop X.

I would like to know the opinions about these programs from my fellow artists :) Wich one do you think is better for drawing and why?

Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:03 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Photoshop is the superior program, I think. Paint Shop Pro is easier to use, though, from my own experience.

the greatest love story never told.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:18 pm 
PPT Baby
PPT Baby

Photoshop is much more expensive as well. I have had PSP for years, starting with PSP7 and it's worked quite well for me. It's easy to use and can do pretty much the same thing that photoshop can. Granted, I don't really have experience with photoshop and I'm still an amateur when it comes to computer graphics, but I'm very satisfied with paint shop pro. I currently use PSP8, but I just got PSPX for my birthday and I'm really excited about trying it out :D

Neopets: _leraje_

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:44 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Thank you both. So it's 1 - 1 at the moment.

Price isn't an issue, because I can buy them with a huge discount via my university. I do more drawing then photo/graphic editing, so that's the most important for me. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:26 pm 
PPT Baby
PPT Baby

fructy wrote:
I do more drawing then photo/graphic editing, so that's the most important for me. :)

Same here. I don't edit as much as create. If you think it would help, there is a free trial of Paint Shop Pro X right here. You need to create an account first, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:42 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

I was lucky enough to get the latest copies of both in a garage sale xD They were both $15, it was an amazing deal, I even asked the guy and he was like, 'Eh, go ahead. I don't even need 'em'. I got those two and Macromedia fireworks and flash I think. So I say go for Photoshop.

President of the Sugarinii/Tasha fan club.
Sugarinii's soulmate... since 1991!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:49 pm 

most DEFINITELY go for photoshop. It's not called the best graphic and photoediting program on the market for nothing.

If you want to see things that I've done in photoshop(drawings and otherwise) you can:

a. look at the thread i posted on ye old gallery
b. go to http://www.hentai-mushu.deviantart.com/, which has a lot of photoshopped things on it.

Post subject: Re: Photoshop or paint shop pro?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:20 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

fructy wrote:
...I'm pondering whether I should go for photoshop elements or paint shop X.

Does anyone here use Photoshop Elements? I'd definitely recommend Photoshop over PSP (though I don't know much about their respective prices), but I haven't tried Photoshop Elements before.

This review seems to indicate that it is a cut down version of Photoshop... and most of the features listed that aren't available in Elements aren't critical. I'd be sad to lose these from Photoshop though:

* Layer Masks, Layer Comps, and Quick Mask mode - no layer masks?! These are almost essential for more advanced layer effects.. though you can use the lasso tool of course.
* Pen tool and paths palette - no vector drawing, which is something that is wonderful to play with
* Text on a path, advanced text formatting
* Advanced Layer Style manipulation - I dunno what this entails, but layer styles are very useful for cool effects

I imagine that "just" getting Elements would be more expensive than PSP, though... so the full version of Photoshop would be another step up.

Another option is that you could buy an old version of Photoshop (say, Photoshop 5 or 7 - they seem the most popular) from Ebay. They're both pretty good versions. Some people buy these old versions, and then buy a upgrade pack to upgrade to CS - apparently it's cheaper.

Finally, The Gimp might be worth a shot. I've heard it's pretty good, and it's certainly an upgrade from Paint (it has layers, for one thing). And it's freeee! :)

Nyum nyum nyum...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:23 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Quote:
Same here. I don't edit as much as create. If you think it would help, there is a free trial of Paint Shop Pro X right here. You need to create an account first, though.

That's a good idea. I might try that! :)

Quote:
I was lucky enough to get the latest copies of both in a garage sale xD They were both $15

That's a great buy! Photoshop elements will cost me about 70 euro and PSP 30 euro. I can get Macromedia studio (with Flash, fireworks and some other things) for 15 euro via my university.

Quote:
look at the thread i posted on ye old gallery

I took a look. I love your art, it's very good!

Quote:
I imagine that "just" getting Elements would be more expensive than PSP, though... so the full version of Photoshop would be another step up.

Yes, elements is a cut down version. (also ALOT less expensive) I'm really a novice when it comes to making graphics on my computer so I don't think I'll need all the fancy extra's yet. When I become more advanced I can always buy the 'full' version. Besides, anything is better then paint :D

Most people seem to favour photoshop :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:54 pm 
PPT Baby
PPT Baby

If I had the money I'd probably favor photoshop too >_>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:57 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Quote:
If I had the money I'd probably favor photoshop too

I just checked to see what Adobe Photoshop CS2 UK (the latest version, I think) costs. It costs 809 euro! :o

I could buy a new computer for that sort of money!

Quess I'll stick with the cut down version if I buy it! :)

edit: If I buy it via uni it costs 288,75 euro. Still alot of money though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:41 am 

PS is much better for photo editing and stuff. But PSP is easier to use, and it's a lot cheaper. As for drawing, I think they're pretty much at the same level, but if you want to do more than that, I'd recommend Photoshop.
But then again, I've never tried Elements, so I don't really know how much different it is than CS2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:05 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Ok, I think I'm going to go for photoshop. It seems that most people think it's a better program.

Now another question. Should I buy Elements or the full version? Does a novice like me need all the extra's that the full version has? Does CS2 have any options that can't be missed if you want to use it for drawing? I can always buy the full version later if I need it.

Even with the discount it's still pricy at 288 euro. And I would hate to spend 200 extra for options that I won't use anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:23 am 
PPT God
PPT God

I'd so go for the basic version for starters. When you get to a level at which you're comfterable with it then you could buy the full version.

President of the Sugarinii/Tasha fan club.
Sugarinii's soulmate... since 1991!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:48 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Ugh, it's all so incredibly pricey, isn't it? :(

From the list of features on that website, it sounds like Elements would be fine :) The only thing I'm a little bit worried about is the lack of the pen tool. I guess people would probably call it an advanced tool, and not critical... but depending on your drawing style (or aspired drawing style), it can be a really really useful tool.

Have you done much vector drawing before? (or heard of it?) It basically lets you draw nice smooth curved lines, like in Neopets images, or in many cartoons (eg. this lovely background, or this cartoon figure both seem to be vector-drawn). So if you're wanting to draw in a cartoon-style, it might be something to consider. It's hard to create lines that perfect without a pen tool, though it's certainly possible - it just takes a bit more effort. Then again, it takes a bit of effort to learn how to use the tool itself, too.

But... I'm not sure if that one tool is worth the extra money. And if you're into creating more natural-looking art, it probably wouldn't be too much of a concern anyway! ;)

Nyum nyum nyum...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next