An artistic oracle. Meet fellow creators and swap advice. Every skill you can imagine is on show.
Topic locked

Help with 2 questions

Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:30 pm

I have 2 questions, unrelated to eachother except for the fact that both questions use Adobe Photoshop 7.

1. When I create a new canvas to work with, I get a "01" in the upper left corner along with a tiny little graphic, and I can't for the life of me remember how to get rid of it. It's difficult to place text when that is in the way. Here's a screenie of what I'm talking about:

2. What is the best way to cut out images? If I have the image below, and I just want Brian (the dog), how would you cut him out of the image?

Image example:

Thanks for any and all help!

Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:47 pm

If I had to cut out brian, i'd probably lasoo around him and then erase the edges of the image down to make it a clean cut. But since i'm not a photoshop god like some people here, there might be an easier way.

Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:24 pm

To get rid of the H1, hold Control and press H :)

Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:55 am

1. Hehe, I've had problems with this one too. "01" is a slice number. To get rid of it quickly you can press Ctrl+H. But that will just hide it temporarily, so a better way is to go to "View" > "Show" and then unselect "Slices" (I think).

2. I tend to use "layer masks" to get rid of image backgrounds. It's a bit complicated to understand at first, but once you do, it is the easiest way! It means you can "paint" out the bits of the image that you don't want using almost whatever tool you want (brush, lasso + brush, pen tool, etc), and can let you do all kinds of spiffy effects.

Um, after doing a quick google search for "photoshop layer mask tutorial", this one seems pretty good: http://www.lunacore.com/photoshop/tutorials/tut003.htm

You can probably skip to the second half if you want, that really shows masks in action, which is the best way of explaining them :)

Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:57 am

i agree with masking - although i use psp. you can always change your mind if you're masking, you dont have to worry about deleting part of the image you want to keep by accident.
Topic locked