Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 6:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Half Photoshop, half techy
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:38 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Hey everyone, I've got a tech question that can maybe/probably be solved in photoshop. I'm trying to optimize this website I'm creating, and one of the images I have is significantly larger than the other ones, like, the exact same size in terms of dimensions, but it's about 10-15 times larger in terms of file size. I figured out that a fair amount of that is simply because this image came from a digital camera, so it has all of that digital camera archiving information. Like, I checked out the other ones in photoshop with File -> File Info, and they had no info, but the large one had a slew of info across many fields. I managed to clear one of the fields, but there are many that are for some reason, seemingly uneditable.

Can anyone help me figure out how to remedy this?

Image Gotta Love Rage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:01 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

I don't think these fields are contributing to your size problem? I'm not sure, but I think the best way to go is to optimize this file. If your image isn't too large or doesn't contain too many colors, I would recommends you re-save it as a GIF. Otherwise, save it as a JPEG, and when the optimization window pops up, turn it down to something like a 8?

I'm sorry if this isn't what you're asking for, at all. Perhaps you could provide a link to this image?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:04 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

if you use photoshop, go to the "save for web" option instead of just the save option. You can change the file to another filetype, aswell as adjust the quality to make it smaller (this part wont make much of a difference athstetically, but it will vastly lower the image size.)

v: Lifebreather ----- c: Neko

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:53 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

I generally resize my images, dimension wise, which helps reduce the hefty filesize. Perhaps give that a try, if you wish not to reduce the quality too much?

Hold shift whilst transforming the image, and you should stay in proportion... I'm not if they quality is the same, although, I have found the quality of the actual image has not been hindered at all, but instead, cut the filesize in half.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:47 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Well, it's already at pretty much the smallest dimension it can be, and the right dimension (it's replacing an image, it's predecessors are 45 by 60, and this image is already 45 by 60), and when I saved it, I do remember something along the lines of a quality thing popping up, and I think it was automatically set at 8, but I'm not too sure. All of the other, smaller files are saved as jpegs though, so I should be able to have them down at that file size with keeping it a jpeg.

The camera info definitely took up some file space, but I don't know how much, when I copied the image, and re-saved it into a new file, and cut the quality down to a 4 I think, it went to about 10 times the other file sizes

However, I then went and did that "Save For Web" option, changed it into a gif, reduced the number of colors, and increased the lossy compression to about 20, there was hardly a noticeable difference between that and the original, but this new gif was smaller than all of its predecessors. I'm gonna fiddle around with it a bit more just out of my own curiosity, but thanks for the help everyone, especially Moogie!

Image Gotta Love Rage.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]