An artistic oracle. Meet fellow creators and swap advice. Every skill you can imagine is on show.
Topic locked

How do I make a background transparant in Photoshop?

Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:38 pm

I'm trying to make the background of a button for my gallery transparant, but if I use the magic wand tool it distorts the ouline of my image.

Normal Image:

Magic want tool

Wasn't there also another way to make the background transparant? I thought you could select a colour and then everything of that colour would get transparant?

I'm a novice when it comes to Photoshop so any help is appreciated :)

Re: How do I make a background transparant in Photoshop?

Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:46 pm

I don't know about PhotoShop, but in my program (PhotoFiltre):

1. Click area to be transparent with magic wand.
2. Go to Image > Automatic Transparency > Inside Selection.

Maybe there's something similar for PS?

Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:11 pm

Helena wrote:I don't know about PhotoShop, but in my program (PhotoFiltre):

1. Click area to be transparent with magic wand.
2. Go to Image > Automatic Transparency > Inside Selection.

Maybe there's something similar for PS?

Thanks for the help. I don't think there is something like that in Photoshop though, at least not that I can find. :D

Edit: I figured out a way around it. :)

Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:48 pm

In photoshop, they have an extract tool in the filter menu.

If you've got a lot of patience to sit and practice, then you'll get the hang of it, but what I'd do (even though I can't see the pics you've got on photobucket), is I'd copy it over to a new file that has the background transparent on the outset (Set it to transparent when you make a new document), then I'd use the different brushes for the eraser to take it out.

Change brushes by right clicking on the picture, then selecting a different brush, click on the size and off you go.

Also, you can change the opacity up the top of the screen to be heavier erase or lighter.

Test all these bits out and with a little patience (or perhaps a lot, I'm not sure what you're working on) you can get the bits you want done.

:)

Hope that helps.
Topic locked