Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Help! I need to make a T-shirt design!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:17 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Now that she knows I have Photoshop and Illustrator, my Student Council adviser asked me to make a t-shirt for the group. I'd like to know how I should go about this--where do I start, what should I do for inspiration (other than spend hours browsing threadless.com), how I should actually make the design in CS3, and then how to transfer it to a shirt. Since I've never done this before, I'm a total newbie, so if anyone can help me at all--even if you just give me some helpful websites to go to--that would be really great!

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Help! I need to make a T-shirt design!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:29 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Hmm...

Well, looking at sites such at Threadless.com (and shirt.woot.com) is quite a good start for inspiration.

I personally like starting brainstorming on paper before moving to the computer. Sketch out several ideas and decide on one to finalize and flush out. Once you have decided on the design, start drawing it on the computer (photoshop or illustrator, whichever you are more familiar with, but if it's vector-y, I would do it under illustrator). Do it in black in white or a very limited neutral gray palette because t-shirts are often cheaper when they have only one (or a few) ink colors. Then play with colors schemes. Create a folder for the tshirt color (background) and a folder for the ink colors. Figure out what works. Sometimes tshirts only can come in limited colors, so you have to be careful as to choosing shirt colors, but usually companies can match ink colors pretty well if you provide a hex code.

To test your tshirt out, I recommend customink.com. Make yours shirt a transparent gif or png and play around there.

Ehh, that's about all I can think of to start off with. I've designed tshirts for my church's retreats and camps, and it does take a bit of experimentation.

I guess I can critique your design if you posted it?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:36 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Zilary wrote:
Create a folder for the tshirt color (background) and a folder for the ink colors.

I understand everything except this.

I'll definitely post my design for critique, though it may be a while before you see it. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:40 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Byakuya San wrote:
Zilary wrote:
Create a folder for the tshirt color (background) and a folder for the ink colors.

I'll definitely post my design for critique, though it may be a while before you see it. :)

Under photoshop/illustator, create a "set" (looks like folder icon?) with lots of layers that are solid filled with a variety of colors you would like to use as a shirt. Then create another set/folder with your design in a variety of colors, make each color a different layer. Then play around with turning shirt color layers and design color layers on and off until you find one you like.

I hope that was more explanatory...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:41 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Zilary wrote:
Byakuya San wrote:
Zilary wrote:

Under photoshop/illustator, create a "set" (looks like folder icon?) with lots of layers that are solid filled with a variety of colors you would like to use as a shirt. Then create another set/folder with your design in a variety of colors, make each color a different layer. Then play around with turning shirt color layers and design color layers on and off until you find one you like.

I hope that was more explanatory...

Yep, I think I get it now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:39 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

I agree with Zilary. In addition, I believe you can submit .AI files on customink, so it might be in your best interests to do that so you don't lose any quality.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:01 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Ok, here's one of two designs I have (I have to re-hook up my scanner to get the other one finished). I know it's not the best, but any tips on how to clean it up would be nice.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]