NeoDex
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: New Neopets Site Format
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:59 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Favorite Cheese: Mozzerella String Cheese
Not a fan of the new "beta" flash-free, mobile friendly layout. My ancient browser really hates it.

I suppose there will be plenty of bugs to work through, so we'll see how it shakes out. Maybe it's just me, but I think the new Beta layout/theme looks like it was made for 5 year-olds.

Post subject: Re: New Neopets Site Format
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:28 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Yeah, the layout is taking some serious getting used to, but I'll adjust...eventually. I mean, we survived switching from Sidebars to this, right? ;) (I'm trying reallllly hard to look at the positive here, because I hate change and this is certainly a big one).

However, the games are a different story. The new version of Hasee Bounce is atrocious...you cannot use arrow keys to move them, meaning you have to use your mouse and they automatically jump to the other side because that's where your mouse is. Ugh. It's just...unplayable on a desktop. Igloo Garage Sale has a bug that is doing something crazy with the all items collected bonus, and Kass Basher and Fashion Fever have a "minimum playtime" limit that if you're under it, your score will not send. Turmac Roll seems to be OK (but no Sniddberries at all?). I haven't tried the whopping other two games yet (ICM and Rink Runner). I'm kinda scared to.

Things seem to load different on different browsers. I'm not having any lag (and the redone wheels spin beautifully, but watch out - the Dark Faerie space on WOE actually does something again!), but a newer computer using a different browser is seeing a lot of lag. We'll see how it pans out.

Some links that I've stumbled across various places (or found on my own because there's no direct links to them in Beta, but if you go to a non-updated page you can find):
Quick Stock: http://www.neopets.com/quickstock.phtml (Super helpful to have)
Safety Deposit Box: http://www.neopets.com/safetydeposit.phtml
Closet: http://www.neopets.com/closet.phtml
Battledome: http://www.neopets.com/dome/
Ninja Training School: http://www.neopets.com/island/fight_training.phtml (Already had this one bookmarked, as it's the only training school I use)

If you go to "Shop->Your Shop" it takes you to your shop...which is a non-converted page. This has been my go-to way to get things that I don't normally use bookmarks for.

And then there's these, which I don't remember who I found from yesterday, but they are now bookmarks in my browser:
Old Customize: http://www.neopets.com/customise/classic.phtml
Old Games Room: http://www.neopets.com/games/classic.phtml

On a related note, if you have not already seen this, PLEASE:
Check out JN's End-of-Flash To-Do's list.
It's possible that all browsers will disable flash on Jan 1st, and Flash itself will supposedly be disabling itself on Jan 12.

Set by KiTeNcHeTu!
Find me at WGF, where werewolf rocks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:44 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Thanks for that link, P. I guess I need to figure things out tomorrow.

I'm going to miss my near-daily Roodoku (or three). You can adjust your beta theme in your site preferences page, so at least it's not the ghastly yellow. I hope they eventually make one for each theme and give them to the users who earned them. I feel like the site is nowhere close to ready. This is scarier in many ways than Y2K!

Blue graffitied on my signature... But it made me laugh, so it's all good!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:17 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I was going to mention that the Constellations beta theme is MUCH nicer on the eyes, and forgot it. I believe they're planning on converting all themes at some point. Kinda like they're supposed to convert most of the games at some point. I just hope they make the games possible to still do on a desktop - even if it's the ability to pick to use a keyboard instead of a mouse for some of them, like Hasee Bounce.

I'm trying to be as calm as I can about this. It will probably be rough for a little while, but I'm trying to have faith that they'll get things back to better functioning as soon as they can.

Set by KiTeNcHeTu!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:24 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I too am trying to remain calm about this. It is not a good transition and it is awful.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:10 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

It's hopefully not as broken as the transition to JS. Right? *Fingers crossed*

I really hope I have time for one last Roodoku. The things I enjoy on site go away one by one. There's been very little that's replaced them that's been anywhere near as good. LC, plots, KQ, etc.

Blue graffitied on my signature... But it made me laugh, so it's all good!

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:31 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:25 pm:
*sigh* yep. I used to love Bilge Dice. For years, it has said, "Error: Sorry, but this section of the site is undergoing a quick fix or revision. We'll get it back up as soon as possible!" Sure.

Update:
If you are daring, or have a good sandbox to play in, you can still play the flash games ;)

I installed "WaterFox", which is a fork of FireFox that split off at version 56 in an effort to maintain some of the older extensions. In addition, install flashplayer32_0r0_371_win. This is the last Flash release that did not have the "time bomb" in it. For safety purposes, installing in a virtual machine or other sandbox is advised. I also installed ublock_origin adblocker extension into Waterfox. You do need to download the extension and install it manually (File->Open from Waterfox) instead of using the "add extension" button. Installed and works great. Then use the 'classic' links to the games. Ditto for customization. The HTML5 customization feature does not yet work well. Some of the backgrounds were not showing up for me, and it was simply a problem. This is what prompted me to find this workaround. This might just be my new Neopets-specific browser, considering that Opera 12 sometimes struggles. Then again, the old flash player might resolve that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:29 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

So with Flash being gone again, I thought I'd update this with some things I've found out today.

First off, the link to the classic Games room I posted previously is no longer working. Instead, you can access all the games via this link: https://www.neopets.com/games/category.phtml

Here are some links that let you do some of the Flash mini-games that I previously had no clue existed. (I ignored the posts on the neoboards because I thought they were just people still playing with Flash, but I was seeing them still active today and investigated, and ran across these.)

Qasalan Expellibox (7 hours 7 minutes, free)
Test Your Strength (6 hours, 100nps per play)
Bagatelle (20x per day, 250nps per play) probably not worth it, as it wasn't really before, but...
Cork Gun Gallery (20x per day, 100nps per play) no ability to "aim", probably not worth it

Coconut Shy (20x per day, 100nps per play) no ability to "aim" but you can pick which coconut to try for:
Coconut 1
Coconut 2
Coconut 3
Coconut 4
Coconut 5

All of the above will bring you to a page with a bit of text at the top. If you read around the extra mess, you can see the results.

There IS a way to play SOME games still, apparently. Please note: I HAVE NOT TRIED THIS and I DON'T KNOW HOW SAFE IT IS. I also don't know how legit it is. Honestly, I'm not sure if I will try it (or post the instructions here yet), as TNT hasn't come out and said it's OK, whereas they had previously said that playing with an older browser/older flash version is at your own risk but not against site rules.

If you use the above method to try and play flash games, you'll still probably run into the issue where you have to refresh a different page on Neo before sending score - since the site seems to need to verify you're real every 3 minutes.

Set by KiTeNcHeTu!