Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Top Ten Movies of 2008
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:31 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

jellyoflight wrote:
Fiddelysquat wrote:
Never Back Down?
Hot, shirtless men!

On second thought, I believe you compiled an excellent list of movies ;)

Set by Medli

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:48 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Speaking of the best movies of 2008, has anyone seen Slumdog Millionaire? It's supposedly fantastic and I was planning on seeing it over vacation (that is, if I can find a theater where it's playing).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:00 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

I recognize all but three off of that list.
I...I watch too much E!. Really. XD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:58 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Byakuya San wrote:
Speaking of the best movies of 2008, has anyone seen Slumdog Millionaire? It's supposedly fantastic and I was planning on seeing it over vacation (that is, if I can find a theater where it's playing).

I haven't seen it yet, but am planning to.
It's a Danny Boyle movies isn't it? Seems like an unusual departure for him, given his previous projects.

It does look good, however, and the buzz about it has been very positive.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:34 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

In Bruges was not great...but this year for films was not the best. I really liked Persepolis.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:43 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Igg wrote:
In Bruges was not great...but this year for films was not the best. I really liked Persepolis.

I love persepolis, but that was last year. :P

The best films I've seen this year so far:
Wall-E
Happy-Go-Lucky
The Dark Knight
4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days

But I'm planning to see:
Slumdog Millionaire
Milk
Tell No One
Let the Right One In
Waltz with Bashir
Rachel Getting Married

and I'm confident most of those will make my top 10 list. :P Some of those are indie films that I'll have to wait for DVD.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:05 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

It was released in April this year in the UK ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:39 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

In Bruges not great? *shakes head in disbelief*

I have seen Milk since making my list, which was fantastic, and would have no doubt got in the top ten also, at the expense of Tropic Thunder.
Sean Penn was incredible in it. I have since seen 'The Duchess' with Keira Knightley, which may also have made the top ten. Furthermore, I saw Changeling about two days after creating the video, which I think may also have had a spot.

I saw Persepolis and wasn't impressed, if I'm honest. Don't be too easily swayed by nerdy art-noir students, reactionary revolutionists and wannabe critics is all I'll say.

I have yet to see Happy-Go-Lucky as I can't get my mitts on a copy as yet, but I have 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days here at home, which looks a bit grim, but I'm told it's worth a look, so I'll get to it this week at some point.

Today I have watched The Day The Earth Stood Still (2008) and Yes Man. Both okay, but no Oscar parties for either, I reckon.
Later today, I will be viewing Valkyrie, and I expect great things from that too.

Maybe, I will have to re-edit my video to reflect what I have seen in the past two weeks?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:38 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

4 months, 3 weeks and 2 days is kind of grim, but there is a sort of innate sense of hope that resonates from the film. It's hard to describe.

And I loved the animation in Persepolis, and the movie in general. That may be because I didn't read too much into it. I just thought the film was just a great biography of a very interesting person - although some people found her annoying. It was just a story about a girl and her life as she experienced it. I didn't think it was "full of itself" at all .

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:36 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

WIS wrote:
4 months, 3 weeks and 2 days is kind of grim, but there is a sort of innate sense of hope that resonates from the film. It's hard to describe.

And I loved the animation in Persepolis, and the movie in general. That may be because I didn't read too much into it. I just thought the film was just a great biography of a very interesting person - although some people found her annoying. It was just a story about a girl and her life as she experienced it. I didn't think it was "full of itself" at all .

I never meant to suggest that the film was 'up itself', but more the critical reaction that elevated it to it's lofty position. I, like you, saw the film as just an autobiographical history lesson, and yes, the animation was interesting, particularly in light of other recent animated features of late.

I will have to change my video now. Have just finished viewing Frost/Nixon which comes out next month here in the UK and that will definitely be among the amended list.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:39 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Bob wrote:
I saw Persepolis and wasn't impressed, if I'm honest. Don't be too easily swayed by nerdy art-noir students, reactionary revolutionists and wannabe critics is all I'll say.

Well gee golly mister, I don't actually get my film opinions from other people!

Bob wrote:
I have yet to see Happy-Go-Lucky as I can't get my mitts on a copy as yet

It's pretty good, but what would you really expect? It's not classic Mike Leigh though, as the title may suggest ;) It's a bit tenuous at times; the main character is bloody annoying and sometimes you think one of the other characters would have just hit her.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:26 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Igg wrote:
Bob wrote:

Well gee golly mister, I don't actually get my film opinions from other people!

Bob wrote:
I have yet to see Happy-Go-Lucky as I can't get my mitts on a copy as yet

It's pretty good, but what would you really expect? It's not classic Mike Leigh though, as the title may suggest ;) It's a bit tenuous at times; the main character is bloody annoying and sometimes you think one of the other characters would have just hit her.

Don't get your gander up Igg, I'm not suggesting you do get your movie opinions from someone else, but if you're not swayed by people's opinions that you respect, then you're not really human, or just not really listening. Also, I am sure you're already aware that you will never learn anything unless you're prepared to open your ears to receive opinion and not just open your mouth to offer it, assuming it's from the right sources, of course.

All I'm saying is that the general consensus from the groups mentioned maintains that Persepolis is a good, nay great, film. If you have come to that conclusion on your own, then all power to you and I am very happy you enjoyed it. Not everybody agrees with that opinion, however. Like In Bruges, we may disagree, but as we are referencing Art, neither of us can be denied the opinion we hold.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:03 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

If there's anything doing an art history degree has taught me so far, it is that not all opinions are equally valid. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:41 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

I'm glad to see that you're already at least two steps ahead of me, in that case. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:07 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I agree with that Igg, but as someone on the artsy scene myself, it's easy to see that there are loads of people who would praise Elvira as the second coming if enough drippy art critics drew vague parallels between it and the works of Ernest Hemingway. Same as people who listen to horrible music just because it's obscure in an attempt to gain indie cred.

The Tracey Fragments is a perfect example. It was tedious and up its own butt, but plenty of people slobber over it for the sole fact that it was "different" and fairly obscure.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next