Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:59 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Has anyone here heard Creedence Clearwater Revival or Fleetwood Mac? I think these guys deserve some credit, although they are underground in terms of popularity compared to Led Zeppelin, I find them good to listen to once in a while.

And I really suggest you guys listen to Rush, Neil Peart is an amazing drummer, and while Lifeson isn't in the limelight (for those who know it, this should be an obvious pun) often, Working Man is a great song from their debut album that shows his guitar skills. </run-on>

Geddy Lee is also great on bass, although his voice is high-pitched, you get used to it, and you notice that it matches the up-beat tone of their music.

For those that are willing to get to know Rush more, I suggest you get A Farewell To Kings, Moving Pictures, or 2112. All of those are great albums to start with because they include Rush's best songs such as Xanadu on AFTK, 2112 on 2112, Tom Sawyer on Moving Pictures, etc.

I don't know why people hate Stairway To Heaven, I admit, it's overplayed. But that doesn't make it bad, seeing as the songwriting is great, and it has an amazing guitar solo by Page.

On to Pink Floyd, I absolutely love Shine On You Crazy Diamond live, it is amazing. But so are many of their other songs. :d

Come in dear boy, have a cigar~
You're gonna go far~

As for The Who, I like pretty much most of their stuff, and I am especially fond of Pinball Wizard and Won't Get Fooled Again, (and Behind Blue Eyes).

On another subject, I like King Crimson, Grateful Dead, and Deep Purple too. :d

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:08 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

I do like Fleetwood Mac personally. I've grown up with Led Zeppelin, Thin Lizzy, AC/DC etc from my dad and Fleetwood Mac, Steely Dan and Genesis from my mom. Odd mix.

It's coming...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:58 pm 
PPT Warrior
PPT Warrior

King Internet wrote:
Has anyone here heard Creedence Clearwater Revival or Fleetwood Mac? I think these guys deserve some credit, although they are underground in terms of popularity compared to Led Zeppelin, I find them good to listen to once in a while.

I'm a big fan of CCR i love Bad Moon Rising and Have you ever seen the rain?, but I only know one Fleetwood Mac song, and its that bird one with the wings:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:02 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Oh wow, Bad Moon Rising is also my favorite song. Proud Mary is alright, although not one of my favorites. But I also have to give props to Up Around The Bend, that song is great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:04 pm 
PPT Warrior
PPT Warrior

I could never listen to Proud Mary for some reason I just always have hated it:P Up Around the Bend is good, though. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:09 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

You know what's great though? I was looking through our old record collection and I stumbled upon a few CCR records. Including Live in Europe and Pendulum, which are now my favorite records/albums.
Although they are old-fashioned, the sound quality is much better.
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:03 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Location: Politically Sanitized, Non-Jim-Slappable Location. La Button par _jaye_
Igg wrote:
There are plenty of classic rock fans here, and there are also those who may find this thread a tad patronising ;)

Glad I'm not alone. I can dish it out just fine, but apparently I can't take it.

Here's my problem with classic rock. Its too rigid a barrier. If I were to raise my child solely on radio friendly "classic rock" they'd grow up only recognising maybe 75 and 1000 songs. Just look at which Who songs you like you're stuck in Tommy and Who's Next. What about their early ground breaking stuff. Their debut album culd be in the 10 greatest debut albums EVER, yet how many people are going to ever hear Roger Daltry belt out those James Brown covers they threw on so they could fulfill the quota of being mod rockers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:13 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Well raising a kid on radio friendly anything will put them in the same situation no matter genre of music. Although I listen to the radio, I also take it a step further and listen to albums and songs that they never play on the radio. Maybe that's why my playlist is 3000ish songs. :d

Last edited by King Internet on Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:30 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Location: Politically Sanitized, Non-Jim-Slappable Location. La Button par _jaye_
King Internet wrote:
Well raising a kid on radio friendly anything will put them in the same situation no matter genre of music. Although I listen to the radio, I also take it a step further and listen to albums and songs that they never play on the radio. Maybe that's why my playlist is 3000ish songs. :x

But it moves beyond that. You can't appreciate the Rolling Stones if you don't listen to Muddy Waters or Chuck Berry and you can't appreciate Muddy Waters if you don't listen to Robert Johnson or Blind Lemon Jefferson. And If you don't appreciate the Rolling Stones, you'll never appreciate the effect they had on the Kinks followed by the Pretty Things followed by the Stooges followed by the recent incarnation of the Hives and Jet.

Its all so completely linear. Its more entwined then some of the family trees I've seen from the deep south. You can't just seperate one entity from another without cutting off something very amazing. You're climbing a tree with one branch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:39 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

I really can't argue with that, other than one small point. Almost everything in Rock influences something else in some way. Looking at the rock music they play today, we can only expect the future to be full of incredibly hard rock with everyone singing in a deep voice. :(

Now, the point I was trying to get across was in the first sentence (I got a little off on the second one). I said almost everything. Mainly because some bands never received enough attention at all to influence the future. Even if their online (or something like that) fanbase was large, the influence often comes from mainstream music, not from underground music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:49 am 
PPT God
PPT God

King Internet wrote:
I really can't argue with that, other than one small point. Almost everything in Rock influences something else in some way. Looking at the rock music they play today, we can only expect the future to be full of incredibly hard rock with everyone singing in a deep voice. :(

Now, the point I was trying to get across was in the first sentence (I got a little off on the second one). I said almost everything. Mainly because some bands never received enough attention at all to influence the future. Even if their online (or something like that) fanbase was large, the influence often comes from mainstream music, not from underground music.

Some of the most influential musicians that ever played are virtually unrecognizable to most kids today. I'm pulling out my Robert Johnson card with a Kinks, a Velvet Underground, and a Hank Williams. Plus if you're going by radio play then you skip over all of Bob Dylan's songs as soon as he passes the 3 minute mark except for notable exceptions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:06 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Just wanted to say that I love Velvet Underground.

I guess you're right. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:35 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

The Kinks get on my radio station all the time :P

But good point well made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:56 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Igg wrote:
The Kinks get on my radio station all the time :P

But good point well made.

I've been meaning to talk to you about this! I'm heading over to England for a wee bit in August (London and, of course, the Mecca: Liverpool). Our tastes seem to line up, where should I check out? Are there any magical places that will open my eyes and I can import them back to my fellow deprived country men? Any bands that will never get over the ocean but are the coolest things since sliced bread? Any way you can give me a tour of swinging London so that you can take a picture of me poking the guards with the big poofty hats?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:18 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Well I know of loads of decent bands from the Midlands (however, Led Zeppelin and Slade are the only ones that spring to mind as yet) but there are absolutely no tourist attractions round here, heh.

EDIT: Thought of some more:

Black Sabbath (Ozzy was born in Brum!)
The Move
Judas Priest
Nick Mason (longest running member of Pink Floyd)

It's coming...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next