Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: playing instruments
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:02 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

oops513 wrote:
i want to learn the piano, although im totally hopeless at the whole 2 hand concept :P

My dad has the exact same problem. :)

I would suggest learning something VERY easy with whichever hand you're more comfortable with, then after a while, add the other hand and play the same thing, starting slowly. After you start to get the hang of it, you can move on to more challenging things, and eventually you can start playing slightly different notes on one hand. Of course, you could always just learn a song one hand at a time and slowly try to put them together, whatever works best. The key things to remember are to play SLOW and OFTEN.

Then again, I'm no music teacher, but Mayanspypilot is, so she might have a better way of learning.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:24 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

[quote="Byakuya San"][quote="oops513"]i want to learn the piano, although im totally hopeless at the whole 2 hand concept :P[/quote]

I would suggest learning something VERY easy with whichever hand you're more comfortable with, then after a while, add the other hand and play the same thing, starting slowly. After you start to get the hang of it, you can move on to more challenging things, and eventually you can start playing slightly different notes on one hand. Of course, you could always just learn a song one hand at a time and slowly try to put them together, whatever works best. The key things to remember are to play SLOW and OFTEN.

Then again, I'm no music teacher, but Mayanspypilot is, so she might have a better way of learning.[/quote]

thanks alot! ive got a keyboard, and i used to take lessons but same as the cornet, i gave it up when i moved. i have actually been practising with some simple songs i found. but i also find it hard to read the notes and play them at the same time, i tend to just read them and play from memory!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:17 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Byakuya San wrote:
oops513 wrote:
i want to learn the piano, although im totally hopeless at the whole 2 hand concept :P

Then again, I'm no music teacher, but Mayanspypilot is, so she might have a better way of learning.

Having taught piano (as well as played since I was 5), slow and frequent is definitely the best way to go. And I agree, you definitely want to start with very easy stuff first before trying something a lot harder. It may not take you too long to get the hang of the easy stuff, but it's always best to start there.

A method of practicing that I've seen get results (but requires a lot of patience):
- If you have a metronome, use it! Set it to something excruciatingly slow, start with one hand, and one line. Play that line over and over and over again, until you get it right at least 5 times in a row. Once you've gotten it right 5 times in a row, speed the metronome up a couple notches, and repeat until you get that part slightly faster than you really want it (this makes it easier when you put both hands together).
- Repeat this whole process with the other hand.
- Repeat this process with both hands together.

I would definitely recommend a teacher if at all possible, but if not, I know there are beginner's books out there for older people (IE, not geared towards 5 year olds, but more towards teens/adults). The name of them unfortunately is eluding me at the moment, but if I can find them from my piano pedagogy class notes, I'll post 'em.

One thing to keep in mind: no matter how you start, it will be frustrating for a while. Be patient, and stick to it!

Set by KiTeNcHeTu!
Find me at WGF, where werewolf rocks!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:26 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

great thanks alot pickles. i'll keep you informed of how it all goes!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:59 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Location: Watching little birds fly kamikaze missions into the walls.
First and foremost, you should always try to have a teacher when learning an instrument. There is just no substitute for a good teacher. That being said, I have some piano tips for people trying to learn songs, if you know the notes.

Practice one step at a time until you have mastered it. Don't go to the next step until you feel totally comfortable with the current step.

1. Practice patting out the rhythm of the song on the lid of the piano with both hands. Tap the heel of one of your feet and count out loud depending on your time signature (ex. If your time signature is 4/4, count "1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and" for each measure.) Half of learning to play music is learning to listen to it! To make things easier, pat just the first beat of every measure, with both hands (note: not the first note of every measure, the first beat). Once you're comfortable with beat one, add beat two. Add a beat every time until you can successfully pat the entire song.

2. Open the piano and try to play just the first beat of every measure. This is basically Step 1, but with the actual piano keys. Now, here's where things change. Once you can play beat one of every measure with both hands, add beat two, but only with your left hand. Most people try to concentrate on their right hand, since that's the hand that usually plays the melody. You want to focus on the foundation of the song. Still play beat one with both hands, but only add the remaining beats of the measure with your left hand, one beat at a time.

3. Once you can play the entire left hand part with your right hand playing beat one, slowly add beat two with your right hand. Repeat with beats three and four. Eventually you'll have the whole song.

This is a long process, but you learn the song really well - you could probably play it in your sleep practically. And you can adapt it for whatever instrument you play. I've varied it for all of my band students and we learn all of our music this way. It really helps you feel successful the first time you actually sit down to play the song the whole way through.

Man, I'm tired now after thinking of how to write all of that out. But remember, there's no substitute for sitting down every week to have a lesson with a teacher!

It was an honor serving you PPT. I will miss you.
Click here to join my new werewolf forum!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:13 am 
PPT God
PPT God

I can play flute, only it's hard to now because I just got braces and it kind of mucks up the airflow.

I don't exist. omo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:14 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Helena wrote:
I can play flute, only it's hard to now because I just got braces and it kind of mucks up the airflow.

ye, when you have braces, it just makes everything harder. Im just happy I had mine taken off 3 years ago :D

Flute interests me, but Im more interested in the instruments with strings. Who knows though I might one day decide to pick up a flute or a piccolo ;)

set by Sakura

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:11 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

thats alot mayanspypilot. very useful tips!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:01 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

mayanspypilot wrote:
First and foremost, you should always try to have a teacher when learning an instrument. There is just no substitute for a good teacher. That being said, I have some piano tips for people trying to learn songs, if you know the notes.

Practice one step at a time until you have mastered it. Don't go to the next step until you feel totally comfortable with the current step.

1. Practice patting out the rhythm of the song on the lid of the piano with both hands. Tap the heel of one of your feet and count out loud depending on your time signature (ex. If your time signature is 4/4, count "1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and" for each measure.) Half of learning to play music is learning to listen to it! To make things easier, pat just the first beat of every measure, with both hands (note: not the first note of every measure, the first beat). Once you're comfortable with beat one, add beat two. Add a beat every time until you can successfully pat the entire song.

2. Open the piano and try to play just the first beat of every measure. This is basically Step 1, but with the actual piano keys. Now, here's where things change. Once you can play beat one of every measure with both hands, add beat two, but only with your left hand. Most people try to concentrate on their right hand, since that's the hand that usually plays the melody. You want to focus on the foundation of the song. Still play beat one with both hands, but only add the remaining beats of the measure with your left hand, one beat at a time.

3. Once you can play the entire left hand part with your right hand playing beat one, slowly add beat two with your right hand. Repeat with beats three and four. Eventually you'll have the whole song.

This is a long process, but you learn the song really well - you could probably play it in your sleep practically. And you can adapt it for whatever instrument you play. I've varied it for all of my band students and we learn all of our music this way. It really helps you feel successful the first time you actually sit down to play the song the whole way through.

Man, I'm tired now after thinking of how to write all of that out. But remember, there's no substitute for sitting down every week to have a lesson with a teacher!

Yep! This is what I do in my piano class, except we bring singing into it too. It works very well with or without singing.

Yes, I'm still alive...still alive...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:02 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

My primary instruments are flute and piccolo. I have very basic piano and guitar skills and for a while I tried playing trombone in jazz band. I have to start picking up my guitar again soon...I'm trying to break out of the "Why can't I get the hang of this?!" stage.

I have working knowledge of clarinet, saxophone and baritone and could...proooobably reach a reasonable level of proficiency in a short time. I know how the other brass instruments work but the smaller/bigger mouthpiece sizes would slow things down a lot. I've never tried any double reeds.

I like singing too. I love how my voice is on the lower end and I can sing a lot of songs I like that other girls may struggle with. But my range is pretty small...not even and octave and a half....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:33 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Alto Saxophone :) I *was* learning The Pink Panther but I kind of... dropped the sheet at my music lesson and it fell into a puddle xD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:05 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

guineadan wrote:
Alto Saxophone :) I *was* learning The Pink Panther but I kind of... dropped the sheet at my music lesson and it fell into a puddle xD

I was playing that on meh flute the other day... I lost the sheet music... :P

I don't exist. omo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:58 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Lol, the sheet music is cursed :o

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:52 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

I play piano, ocarina, trumpet, trombone, euphonium, upright bass, and electric bass. I alsow frequently compose. I'm a band geek. :D

Set by Byakuya'<3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:19 pm 
PPT Baby
PPT Baby

haha, cool! Is ocarina fun? I considered getting one and learning...after realizing the true amazing-ness that is Zelda.

@->->--
A rose for you, my love...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next