Sports discussion. Towel whipping is strictly prohibited. It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye.
Topic locked

Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:00 am

I'm probably not going to watch the Superbowl, but if I did, I would root for "Da Bears". (Reference? Anyone?) The Bears definitely deserve to be there from what I've seen and heard this season. The Colts...well, my opinion is that they're like the Buffalo Bills...they have the ability to get far, but in the end, they'll fail miserably.

Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:07 am

mayanspypilot wrote:I'm probably not going to watch the Superbowl, but if I did, I would root for "Da Bears". (Reference? Anyone?)

Da Bears was made famous by the Saturday Night Live skit that featured George Wendt, Chris Farley, Mike Myers, and some guy whose name I don't remember. They were sitting around a table drinking beer, with fake Mike Ditka mustaches, and talking in Chicago accents. Hilariously funny stuff. From sometime in the early 90's. It has stuck with many of us Chicagoans ever since. :P

Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:55 am

I'm thinking the Colts win simply because the Bears lost kind of bad to the Pats earlier in the season and the Colts beat the Pats when it really mattered.

Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:38 am

mayanspypilot wrote:I'm probably not going to watch the Superbowl, but if I did, I would root for "Da Bears". (Reference? Anyone?) The Bears definitely deserve to be there from what I've seen and heard this season. The Colts...well, my opinion is that they're like the Buffalo Bills...they have the ability to get far, but in the end, they'll fail miserably.

I'm just going to watch it to see if the rumors surrounding Apple are tru.. Widescreen iPod... Leopard Announcement.... Being that they did basically launch the Macintosh trough a commercial, so :S.

Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:46 am

NeoPet_online wrote:I'm just going to watch it to see if the rumors surrounding Apple are tru.. Widescreen iPod... Leopard Announcement.... Being that they did basically launch the Macintosh trough a commercial, so :S.

:o I didn't know a rumor like that was going around.

Anyways, I'm rooting for the Bears, because... I did eeny-meeny-miny-mo. :P

I hope the Cowboys do better next year, especially since they're getting a new coach. (I live in DFW, and I'm getting sick of all the news surrounding Parcells' retirement.)

Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:07 am

mayanspypilot wrote:I'm probably not going to watch the Superbowl, but if I did, I would root for "Da Bears". (Reference? Anyone?) The Bears definitely deserve to be there from what I've seen and heard this season. The Colts...well, my opinion is that they're like the Buffalo Bills...they have the ability to get far, but in the end, they'll fail miserably.

Really. Rooting for the Godless Killing Machines? :O

Anyhow. Any reason to have the friends to get together to party and eat... hey. I'm all for it. Although I must say... having the Colts (defeating the Patriots) and B...ears defeating Saints (nooo)... so conflicted.

But the Godless Killing Machines must lose!
Go Colts!

[I'd care more about football, except SoCal doesn't have a team... so oh well...]

Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:58 pm

FrankieG wrote:I'm thinking the Colts win simply because the Bears lost kind of bad to the Pats earlier in the season and the Colts beat the Pats when it really mattered.

I'm not assuming that way. Here's an example: The Colts lost to the Texans, does that mean that since the Bears beat the Texans : they are a better team?

Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:19 pm

ScottNak wrote:Really. Rooting for the Godless Killing Machines? :O

Anyhow. Any reason to have the friends to get together to party and eat... hey. I'm all for it. Although I must say... having the Colts (defeating the Patriots) and B...ears defeating Saints (nooo)... so conflicted.

Go Colts!

Oh my gosh, are they actually called that? I have heard them called the Monsters of the Midway but never Godless Killing Machines. But that phrase does seem to fit Chicago's defensive line to a T. 8)

Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:32 am

Morningstar wrote:
ScottNak wrote:Really. Rooting for the Godless Killing Machines? :O

Go Colts!

Oh my gosh, are they actually called that? I have heard them called the Monsters of the Midway but never Godless Killing Machines. But that phrase does seem to fit Chicago's defensive line to a T. 8)

Well, mostly just by those of us in the Colbert Nation.

I'm rooting for the Colts because Stephen told me not to cheer for the Godless Killing Machines. Also, Peyton Manning ought to do something to earn all of his advertising contracts. (I kid because I love.)

This does look like it'll be an interesting Superbowl, though. Both teams are just plain fun to watch, even if one of them does want to be associated with evil.

Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:07 pm

PuddingofEvil wrote:Also, Peyton Manning ought to do something to earn all of his advertising contracts. (I kid because I love.)

*lol* Yes, you do tend to see his face just about everywhere now days. Hahaha.

It will be a good game. I love both teams. Never thought I'd have to choose sides. Counting down the days . . .

Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:09 pm

pokemonfreak27 wrote:
FrankieG wrote:I'm thinking the Colts win simply because the Bears lost kind of bad to the Pats earlier in the season and the Colts beat the Pats when it really mattered.

I'm not assuming that way. Here's an example: The Colts lost to the Texans, does that mean that since the Bears beat the Texans : they are a better team?

Another perfect example was back in 1995 (I think) when Northwestern went to the Rose Bowl against USC. Everyone thought they would win because of this:

Northwestern beat Notre Dame, Notre Dame spanked USC, therefore, Northwestern would win.

Northwestern got nailed by USC in the Rose bowl. It's a good way to think, but weird things obviously happen.

And it made me sad when I saw Stephen Colbert was against my bears. And yes, he coined the phrase "Godless Killing Machines," and I know most of his thing was rooting for the Saints to win. I love him, he's way to funny. And fun fact, he's an alum of Northwestern. :P

Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:21 pm

I love Colbert. Though I haven't had time to watch him this past week. So, that's who coined the phrase. Hahaha. Should have known. And, he's an alum of NU? Oh Lordies. Me too (well, the law school anyway).

So, Doozer, you don't have two Bear flags attached to your car hood by any chance, do you? :P Seems everywhere I go, I am seeing Bears flags waving in the breeze. Of course, I had to run some errands on the South Side (Archer and Cicero area) so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. :)

C'mon Sunday, hurry up and get here! Go Bears!

Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:24 pm

I don't do the flag thing...... but I do have a pair of those sunglasses and a fake mustache hanging from my rearview mirror. :P

Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:15 am

Dragonfire wrote:
NeoPet_online wrote:I'm just going to watch it to see if the rumors surrounding Apple are tru.. Widescreen iPod... Leopard Announcement.... Being that they did basically launch the Macintosh trough a commercial, so :S.

:o I didn't know a rumor like that was going around.

Anyways, I'm rooting for the Bears, because... I did eeny-meeny-miny-mo. :P

I hope the Cowboys do better next year, especially since they're getting a new coach. (I live in DFW, and I'm getting sick of all the news surrounding Parcells' retirement.)

Yep yep! Clicky! Anywho, I guess the Bears sound alright... Meh... It's all for the pizza.

Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:02 pm

Only one more day. God, I hate waiting.
Topic locked