Sports discussion. Towel whipping is strictly prohibited. It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye.
Topic locked

National Football League (American Football)

Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:30 pm

So, what is your favorite team and why? How would you grade their offseason?

Me? The Miami Dolphins. I have no idea why, I just have always liked them. I guess part of it is because my dad likes them so I grew up watching them.

Anyway, the Dolphins have had the offseason from a football player's worst nightmares. First, Ricky Williams retires days before training camp, then David Boston is injured for the season, Randy McMichael is charged with assaulting his wife, and Ogunleye holds out.

Luckily, it appears to be getting a little better. The charges against McMichael have been dropped and Ogunleye was traded for Pro Bowl WR Marty Booker of the Chicago Bears to replace Boston. Either way, this season is going to be one long rollercoaster ride from what this offseason showed.

Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:41 pm

Deion Sanders is coming back to the game w00t!

My personal favorite is the Minnesoate Vikings ... <3 Randy Moss :P

Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:20 pm

GO PACKERS! I love the pack! I even have my own cheesehead (of hat that looks like cheese). I live just outside DC and I want to go see them play the redskins <*puke* on oct. 31. My dad told me that if he took me, we would have to get different seats. Anway, Brett Farve is really cool. I hope that the pack wins the super bowl this year. They have the players, they just need to win.

BEHOLD THE POWER OF CHEESE!

Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:30 pm

Favorite team? It would have to be the hometown team, the Dallas Cowboys. =)

First off, I wasn't too thrilled with them trading away their first round pick, which everyone thought they would use to take Steven Jackson, for the pack of picks. Of course, I'll have to eat my words if rookie Julius Jones manages to come through with a respectable season or if the '05 first round pick pays off.

I also wasn't too thrilled on them cutting QB Quincy Carter either. Current starter V. Testaverde looked horrible in all of his preseason games. As of late though, it seems like all Dallas based teams have had success in reviving certain older players like Kenny Rogers (Rangers) and Don Sweeney (Stars). Hopefully that trend will continue...

Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:34 pm

Steelers... especially because I live in Pittsburgh now. :P No particular reason for liking them other than heredity.

Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:46 am

Universal Senja wrote:Favorite team? It would have to be the hometown team, the Dallas Cowboys. =)

First off, I wasn't too thrilled with them trading away their first round pick, which everyone thought they would use to take Steven Jackson, for the pack of picks. Of course, I'll have to eat my words if rookie Julius Jones manages to come through with a respectable season or if the '05 first round pick pays off.

I also wasn't too thrilled on them cutting QB Quincy Carter either. Current starter V. Testaverde looked horrible in all of his preseason games. As of late though, it seems like all Dallas based teams have had success in reviving certain older players like Kenny Rogers (Rangers) and Don Sweeney (Stars). Hopefully that trend will continue...

Heh, I'm still mad at your team cause of Jimmy Johnson. Your team got rid of him, we got stuck with him, and then he gave his job to Dave Wannstedt, who isn't a very good head coach.

Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:58 am

The St. Louis Rams. No doubt about it. Why? They're the home team, of course. Hopefully they will do as good as the Cardinals are doing in baseball this season...

Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:08 am

FrankieG wrote:Heh, I'm still mad at your team cause of Jimmy Johnson. Your team got rid of him, we got stuck with him, and then he gave his job to Dave Wannstedt, who isn't a very good head coach.

Stuck with him? Was he that bad for your team? :roll:

Over here in D, he's actually one of the better coaches we've had. He's the one responsible for building the team that won three Super Bowls (I believe his successor Barry Switzer won one of them, but it was his second year and basically with the same team Johnson put together). He's much better than the last coach we've had, Dave Campo. :roll:

Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:41 am

He wasn't THAT bad, but he chose Wannstedt as his replacement which negates all the good. :P

Anyway, your cowboys aren't looking too shabby, Testaverde put up pretty good numbers considering he only played the first half.

Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:42 pm

Oh, I see. :lol:

Yeah, V.T. actually looked pretty good yesterday night. Funny how it comes right after I ripped him a few posts back. Hopefully I won't have to keep doing that every week just to make him play well. :roll: :lol:

Also, I was surprised that Eddie George didn't get many chances. o_O I guess his numbers kind of backed up Parcells' decision not to run him that much (3 yds on 4 carries, ouch).

Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:35 am

Hmm....my favorite team would have to be the Tampa Bay Bucaneers only cause I live kinda near Tampa, and I love Joe Jurevicious even if he might have a bad season.Also I like the Redskins cause Spurrier is coaching them, otherwise I don't like 'em at all.

I'm more of a College Football girl, my favorite teams being the Florida Gators (no matter how bad they've become because of Zook I still love 'em) and my other team would have to be.....Miami Hurricanes.

Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:50 am

Universal Senja wrote:Oh, I see. :lol:

Yeah, V.T. actually looked pretty good yesterday night. Funny how it comes right after I ripped him a few posts back. Hopefully I won't have to keep doing that every week just to make him play well. :roll: :lol:

Also, I was surprised that Eddie George didn't get many chances. o_O I guess his numbers kind of backed up Parcells' decision not to run him that much (3 yds on 4 carries, ouch).

I guess he also doesn't want to pound him too much yet either since the preseason doesn't matter, that way he won't be as beat up towards the end of the season.

Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:25 am

Mine's St. Kilda.

*looks around* Oooh, you mean American teams? ;) In that case, I don't have any :P

Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:34 am

Alex wrote:Mine's St. Kilda.

*looks around* Oooh, you mean American teams? ;) In that case, I don't have any :P

Yep, just like the topic title says. ;)

Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:06 pm

I like the New England Patriots, probably because I live in New England. They haven't been looking too good during the preseason though. They've won a game against the Eagles but lost to both the Bengals and the Panthers :(
Topic locked