Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Which one?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:49 am 
PPT God
PPT God

I'm totally addicted to the anime show, Naruto. Ive heard from a few people that the Japanese version is better. Is there something cut out of the ones on Cartoon Network and channels like that? Or is it the same show, just with subtitles? o_0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:06 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Location: New Zealand Weapon: HaaH Sword Species: Human Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Of course it's cut =/

They've cut out nosebleeds, Naruto-Sasuke kissing, etc.

The show has a guy who crushes people into a bloody pulp with sand in a later episode. I doubt that'll be on cartoon network. From what I've heard and seen the show has been entirely dumbed down, marketted to a lower age group, cut, had characters genders changed, changed the name of techniques, etc.

The Japanese version is always better. Even on the American DVDs with Japanese audio they often cut out things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:26 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Location: Los Osos, CA, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
Outside of [AS], all networks slaughter broadcast anime. Sure [AS] will cut nudity and anything else banned on US wavelengths, but they will leave the shows pretty much intact. I back ^ Chris' recommoendation and go for the DVDs, except for DVDs produced before 1999 (low production values, early DVD technology, cut as compared to now's 'uncut'), except for those that haven't come out in 'special editions' or 'enhanced' versions. Also, stay away from mainstream show DVDs. Those are more likely to be butchered than 'under the radar' shows. Peace!

Set by Cukupan
Ohayo Nippon every Sunday at LW
I *heart* R
I'm on a boat like a boss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:46 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Location: New Zealand Weapon: HaaH Sword Species: Human Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
I'm saying not to support heathenous American liscencing companies at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:51 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Location: Los Osos, CA, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
I never said you did, Christopher. I was just backing your idea and sharing my feelings. I'm sorry if they bled together.

Set by Cukupan
Ohayo Nippon every Sunday at LW
I *heart* R
I'm on a boat like a boss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:28 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Christopher wrote:
The Japanese version is always better. Even on the American DVDs with Japanese audio they often cut out things.

There are quite a few sites out there that will let you know if stuff has been cut from the English-version DVD, and it seems more and more often they're coming out with uncut versions.

Yes, I support the commerical release of anime DVDs in the US. Not everyone has a great internet connection nor loves dubs. ^_- But I'm weird that way, I'm sure.

Anyway, for me, the biggest reason to watch the Japanese version of the show (aside from seeing things uncut) is the fact that the voice acting is so much better. I can honestly say that I haven't seen more than 3 minutes of any dub since 1998. I avoid Adult Swim like the plague (although I'm glad that it exists), and I'm totally appalled that the Anime Network hasn't been showing any subtitled anime up to this point (they're finally putting in a subbed anime block starting in February).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:38 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

There are a few occasions in which you actually have to go with the American DVD releases due to the rather peculiar censorship laws (that the USA left as its post-war legacy to Japan) such as full blown sex scenes, and on occasion you get things such as the 'platinum uncut' (ridiculous name) edition of Evangelion with more scenes. Though one of the reasons I dislike the DVDs so much is that they release the DVD and you find its cut, then they release an uncut version, then they release a truely uncut version. But either way the subtitles on the american DVDs are to some degree inacurate, changed, and involve alot of 'Darn.'

I do support the release of DVDs in countries such as America, but I most definately prefer subs. For the many reasons I've mentioned.

My internet connection sucks (comparatively speaking as to Japanese internet), I just have no data cap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:48 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Given the number of mistranslations I've seen in fansubs (I speak Japanese fairly well), I'm not really holding that as a reason against commercial releases. ^_- Although the atrocious typoes in the subtitling of the Magic Knight Rayearth 2 was unbelievable. The first season was fine, but the second was done really, really poorly.

However, I do agree with you about the whole releasing something cut and then uncut, etc. Which is why it usually takes me a long time before I buy something. I usually do a fair amount of research, etc.

Another knock against the commerical releases is simply how expensive they are. Honestly, it's rather outrageous. It's getting better, but still it's pretty difficult for someone on a tight budget. I usually just end up renting everything, downloading it, or borrowing from a friend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:54 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Subbers can at least just update their episode if there are too many mistakes. It would be evil to have to buy a new updated DVD, and it's not like the companies have ever said 'Yes we suck, we are releasing one with a bit more effort' anyway :P

And yes, the price is ridiculous. A DVD is 5gb (not literally though). That means that you could fit 28 computer quality episodes, or 22 high quality episodes, or 14 super high quality episodes in h264. Not 2 episodes.

Double all those figures for a Duel Layer disk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:43 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Cool, I might look into that... but what is the Japanese versio rated? My parents wouldnt want me watching something that is... really really bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:23 pm 
PPT Warrior
PPT Warrior

I'm with Chris, the Japanese version is always better. It's not like there's anything bad in it, unless you're super-conservative and go OMG at the slightest perverse thing. :\ It is a bit violent but, hey, it's a show about ninjas for crying out loud. Honestly, if your parents let you watch some of the things on American TV, I doubt they'd have a problem with Naruto.

Of course, I'm lucky enough to have my parents not wanting to control what I watch, so I'm really not experienced with "OMG LET'S CENSOR!" parents.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]