Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 1:45 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Needeth Advice
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:25 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Hey. I really need some help. Since I'm in the UK, I don't get to see Anime on the TV. Toonami used to show Outlaw Star and Tenchi Muyo!, but they've stopped that now. The only way to see Anime in the UK now is to buy the DVD's, which are not available in many places. Luckly, I'm ashort train ride away from the largets Virgin Megastores in Scotland, and they have a bit for Anime.

Anyway, I want to start watching Anime, and I need help choosing which ones. I've already got Tenchi Muyo! OVA Episodes 1-13.5 on DVD, but apart from that I have nothing. So, is there any series you can recommend to me? I've seen some Final Fantasy DVD's in the section too, and I was gonna get them, but I wasn't sure. I also saw a trailer for Kiddy Grade and it looked good. So, can anyone help out an Anime Newbie?

ImageImage
Set - Sunnie
Blinkie - Chass
Left.
ALL HAIL XENU!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:53 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

What you might want to do is go to a site like Anime Academy and just read through some of the descriptions and reviews to see what appeals to you. And then maybe gather some names of ones you think sound neat and see what some PPTer's opinions are of them. That's usually what I do, is search for a title on AA to see what they think, and then do a little more research at some other sites. I'm lucky though. My local comic book store has the largest anime selection in the entire state of Indiana (or at least it did a few years ago, and given how much it's grown, I'm betting that's still the case), so I can pretty much rent anything before I go off and spend big bucks to actually buy it.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen Tenchi or Outlaw Star, so I really can't recommend something based on the fact that you liked them. However, I'm guessing someone that likes Tenchi might like Love Hina. Maybe? ^^;;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:46 pm 

Depending your tastes on what appeals to you there's too much of a variety to go for.

First off: No one can live without Bebop. Every Otakuu has seen it, and it's insanely popular. I've had a friend describe it as the "Godfather" of Anime-- in a joking way of course. Regardless, you really need to check it out. Rent it at a moviestore, do something.

Cowboy Bebop
Full Metal Alchemist is another "popular" series now, mostly because it's featured on AdultSwim here. Try Samurai Champloo, and Bleach too. Those are very, very good animes in my personal opinion.

Savings→ Royal Paint Brush

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:12 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Location: New Zealand Weapon: HaaH Sword Species: Human Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
It's sort of a case of that there are actually alot of anime and thus you need to be more specific when asking.

But my recommendations are to first start off with older ones (Bolded for watch or I kill you):

Record of Lodoss War
Excel Saga
Trigun
Love Hina

Ghost in the Shell
Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040
AH! Megami Sama
Evangelion
Chobits
Lupin the III
Cowboy Bebop
Furi Kuri
GTO
Hellsing

Then move onto the newer good ones.

Gankutsuou

FullMetal Alchemist
Read or Die
Onegai Teacher
Haibane Renmei
Bleach
Gundam SEED
Azumanaga Daioh
Gungrave
Scrapped Princess
Full Metal Panic!
Genshiken
Elfen Lied

and then some fantastic new series

Noein
Paradise Kiss
Starship Operators

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:04 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Try out some tried and tested classics such as most Miyazaki movies.
* My Neighbor Totoro
* Spirited Away
Porco Rosso

Then branch off into the sort of like (or only slightly involved) Miyazaki:
Grave of The Fireflies
My Neighbors The Yamadas

Then go into absolutely crazy happy funtime Japan:
* BECK
Cromartie High School
OH! Mikey

Then into the slightly more structured action:
* Cowboy Bebop (My first, and still favorite)
Trigun
Hellsing

Then into the bizzare anime that you will never ever fully understand:
* FLCL
Serial Experiments Lain
Paranoia Agent

My personal favorites are the *'d ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:52 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Thank you all very much. Next time I'm in Virgin, I'll look out for the ones that you've all said. And hopefully, I'll get a big pile of cash if I do well in my exams, so I should be able to get quite a few (hopefully)

ImageImage
Set - Sunnie
Blinkie - Chass
Left.
ALL HAIL XENU!!!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]