Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 8:43 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Azumanga Manga question.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:25 am 
PPT God
PPT God

I read on some site that it's clean, is it true?

Also, how would you rate it?

Is it amusing?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:41 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Location: New Zealand Weapon: HaaH Sword Species: Human Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
'Clean' is only defined by the person asking.

Quote:
Tomo: Kimura-sensei, why did you become a teacher?
Kimura: Cuz I like high school girls and stuff!!

Quote:
Kimura-sensei: I want to watch them change so bad...

Tomo: Is it a misunderstanding?
Yomi: No, lets not think too hard about this.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:19 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Kimura-sensei saying that he likes high school girls (happens once in awhile, not constantly) and the girls often talking about bust sizes is as dirty as it gets. It's definitely something I would allow my 10 year-old to read, if I had children. Probably even younger than that, but I have issues remembering just how mature or immature children are at that age. ^_-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:34 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Well, I meant clean as in no nudity.

A lack of guys accidently tripping and putting their hand out to catch themselves and having it land in unfortunate places (*coughcoughahemlovehinacoughcough*) would be good too, though this doesn't seem to be like that sort of Manga.

From what both of you said though, I think I can gather that there's none of that in it. Thanks.

Now the questions remain: how would you rate it, and is it amusing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:57 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Christopher wrote:
'Clean' is only defined by the person asking.

Quote:
Tomo: Kimura-sensei, why did you become a teacher?
Kimura: Cuz I like high school girls and stuff!!

Quote:
Kimura-sensei: I want to watch them change so bad...

Tomo: Is it a misunderstanding?
Yomi: No, lets not think too hard about this.

:D

*bows*
Couldn't explain it better myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:26 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

_B4U_ wrote:
Well, I meant clean as in no nudity.

A lack of guys accidently tripping and putting their hand out to catch themselves and having it land in unfortunate places (*coughcoughahemlovehinacoughcough*) would be good too, though this doesn't seem to be like that sort of Manga.

From what both of you said though, I think I can gather that there's none of that in it. Thanks.

Now the questions remain: how would you rate it, and is it amusing?

The anime is the funniest thing I've ever seen. Ever. And I'm not just meaning the funniest anime I've seen, either.

As for the manga, it's also quite hilarious. The first two don't fully capture some of the culture jokes, but the 3rd and 4th books have translator notes at the end that really help learn a little about Japanese culture. Making learning fun, yay. ^_-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:37 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Nice.

I think I just might have to buy the books. :)

Hmm, I just watched a clip of the anime, and there was cursing and swearing left and right... Is that just the subber's take on the whole thing, or is there really a bunch?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:14 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Location: New Zealand Weapon: HaaH Sword Species: Human Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Every anime has swearing in it *generalization that is generally true*.

The thing is that even if you are watching the show in Japanese, if it's an American liscensing company sub all the swearing will be replaced with 'Darn' (what you do to clothing), and 'oh man' (a country in the arabian peninsula).

If you were infact watching subs from an American DVD I am shocked and horrified :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:05 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Christopher wrote:
Every anime has swearing in it *generalization that is generally true*.

The thing is that even if you are watching the show in Japanese, if it's an American liscensing company sub all the swearing will be replaced with 'Darn' (what you do to clothing), and 'oh man' (a country in the arabian peninsula).

If you were infact watching subs from an American DVD I am shocked and horrified :D

It was the Japanese version with English subtitles, and the swearing wasn't replaced in any way. Plenty of sh**'s, a f*** or two, not sure what else. I'll check it out tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:18 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

What I mean is 'Were you watching a fansub?'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:14 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Oh, okay, yeah, it probably was a fansub, because every once in a while random text would blink across the top of the screen so fast that you couldn't read it, I can't picture a professional sub having that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:22 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Were they notes? If they are notes then that's a good thing. Professional subbers don't bother explaining what the characters say, they just change the dialogue. While on fansubs often you'll find that if the characters say something obsure the fansubbers will explain it. The perfect example being Pani Poni Dash, which essentially you have to pause every 5 seconds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:52 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Christopher wrote:
Were they notes? If they are notes then that's a good thing. Professional subbers don't bother explaining what the characters say, they just change the dialogue.

That's a broad generalization that isn't necessarily true, and particularly not with regard to this anime. The company that released Azumanga Daioh the Animation in English made a translator's notes guide with each DVD released that explained any changes, as well as adding general culture notes. Much in the same way that a fansubber does, except that it's not flashing across the top of the screen or showing before the episodes begins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:03 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

MyleneFarmer wrote:
Christopher wrote:
Were they notes? If they are notes then that's a good thing. Professional subbers don't bother explaining what the characters say, they just change the dialogue.

That's a broad generalization that isn't necessarily true, and particularly not with regard to this anime. The company that released Azumanga Daioh the Animation in English made a translator's notes guide with each DVD released that explained any changes, as well as adding general culture notes. Much in the same way that a fansubber does, except that it's not flashing across the top of the screen or showing before the episodes begins.

I never watched Azumanga on DVD, current DVD series are Initial D and Stellvia. The other 17 I watch are all subbed. I just rant alot and for the most part it's true

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:49 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

In the manga (volume one), the only thing shown is Sakaki taking off her shirt, but she has undergarments on.

Aside from Kimura-Sensei and occasional bad language, it's pretty clean.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]