Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 3:59 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Watching Anime...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:08 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Although I've seen a fair share of shows and movies, I still consider myself somewhat of an anime newbie.

I'm just wondering...how you guys go about watching all the different shows? I've been getting some through Netflix and recently discovered the wonderful, fabulous removed. However, both sources don't have complete collections of some series I want to see or have started and want to finish. Any suggestions? :)

EDIT: I know P2P downloading is a way to go but I try to avoid doing that at all costs...

Awesome Set by Neko

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:27 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Location: Los Osos, CA, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
No advise since I mostly only read GNs then buy the DVDs if I want to see the show. I used to rent, but stopped since I started buying the manga. I don't believe in downloading the shows since that is equal to piracy in my eyes. If you actually want to buy the shows, I can ask my brother for his eBay source since gets his DVDs for cheap from them.

Set by Cukupan
Ohayo Nippon every Sunday at LW
I *heart* R
I'm on a boat like a boss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:03 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

I'm exactly the same way you are; still pretty much an anime New Member. I don't currently have a static internet connection, so I mostly rent and borrow from people.

Netflix is my buddy^^

Post subject: Re: Watching Anime...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:24 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

stinkyllama wrote:
Although I've seen a fair share of shows and movies, I still consider myself somewhat of an anime newbie.

I'm just wondering...how you guys go about watching all the different shows? I've been getting some through Netflix and recently discovered the wonderful, fabulous removed. However, both sources don't have complete collections of some series I want to see or have started and want to finish. Any suggestions? :)

Honestly, I rent everything that's been commercially released, and if it hasn't, I DL. Once it's released (or if I don't like the show), I pitch what I've DLed. While downloading is piracy, many North American licensing companies do not frown on it as much as one might assume. They see what's popular in the fansubbing circles to help decide what shows to license. And there is a sort of 'code of ethics' that is used with regard to fansubs. For this reason, you're not going to see a backlash like in the movie and music industries. Besides, I'm currently saving up for a region 2 dvd player, so that way I can get official releases of certain shows that will never reach American shores except as bootlegs (namely Sailor Moon Sailor Stars, Rose of Versailles, and Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon). :p

But I digress. I tend to do that when the topic of downloading/piracy/ethics of such things comes up.

Anyway, I rent from a local comic book shop. However, I should note that it has the largest anime collection in my state, so the selection is better than most rental places. I'm going to be moving soon, so I had been planning on getting Netflix. You say that they don't always have the complete series? Can you list some examples? I'd really like to know if Netflix is going to be a viable option for me once I move.

I recently received an advertisement for RentAnime. It's run by Animenation, one of the premier online anime stores. It costs a bit more than Netflix ($19.95/month for unlimited DVDs with 3 available at a time, and also a plan for $9.95/month for unlimited DVDs with 1 available at a time), but it claims to have a better collection than others, so maybe this would be a better option for you (and for me)?

We were going to go with Netflix because that way we could rent stuff other than anime as well, but if the selection isn't as good as it appears to be (I've sifted through it briefly a few times), then I think I'd rather go with the RentAnime.

(This post is totally disjointed. I apologize.)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:29 am 
PPT God
PPT God

MyleneFarmer wrote:
I recently received an advertisement for RentAnime. It's run by Animenation, one of the premier online anime stores. It costs a bit more than Netflix ($19.95/month for unlimited DVDs with 3 available at a time, and also a plan for $9.95/month for unlimited DVDs with 1 available at a time), but it claims to have a better collection than others, so maybe this would be a better option for you (and for me)?

We were going to go with Netflix because that way we could rent stuff other than anime as well, but if the selection isn't as good as it appears to be (I've sifted through it briefly a few times), then I think I'd rather go with the RentAnime.

I recently came across RentAnime as well and may join provided I cut back a little on my FMA spending. :P I think I underestimated Netflix with their selection though since I was searching for titles that have yet to be released on DVD here in the US. Doh! Silly me. After careful research it appears they do have most of the titles commercially released here which is nice--but as I said before, I'm somewhat new to anime and I might not be noticing what they're missing. :)

Awesome Set by Neko

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:39 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

stinkyllama wrote:
I recently came across RentAnime as well and may join provided I cut back a little on my FMA spending. :P I think I underestimated Netflix with their selection though since I was searching for titles that have yet to be released on DVD here in the US. Doh! Silly me. After careful research it appears they do have most of the titles commercially released here which is nice--but as I said before, I'm somewhat new to anime and I might not be noticing what they're missing. :)

I had wondered if that might have been the case, but I didn't want to say it just in case it wasn't. ^_- Thanks for responding regardless. I'm really looking forward to moving, except for giving up my rental store. :( Great place. I'll start with Netflix first (they've had everything I've looked for when I was browsing thus far), and if I do notice that their selection is lacking I'll switch on over to rentanime. ^_^

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]