Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: All Hail Debiruman!
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:24 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

I'm not sure how suitable this is, but I figured because Chobbits discussion is allowed, this should be too. We all know how much sexual innuendo (Can I say that here?) is in Chobbits, so this shouldn't be too bad either.

Anyone ever heard of it? The title is Devilman, in English.

Made by Go Nagai in the 70's, and it has spawned several OAV's (and pretty amazing OAVs at that!)

Here's some information.

Wikipedia Devilman Article wrote:
A long time ago, the Earth was ruled by demons. The demons constantly fought each other for survival. They soon found themselves fighting a new race of beings. These beings were the first humans. The demons then became imprisoned in ice after a great cataclysm. They would remain there until the ice melted. Satan would then rise up and lead them in Armageddon. That time has come in Go Nagai's Devilman.

Devilman is about a teenager named Akira Fudo. At first, Akira is very modest, avoids conflict, and is very gentle. When his parents are lost on a business trip, Akira goes to stay with his childhood friend Miki Makimura; both soon form a close relationship as the story progresses. Miki, a tough, smart, self-sufficient girl, loves Akira but wishes that he would stand up for himself when he gets pushed around and is frustrated by his lack of a backbone. She often has to defend herself from bullies even when Akira is with her; in the OVA version, she rescues Akira from a gang of bullies who are threatening him.

One day, Akira's best friend, Ryo Asuka, shows up and completely changes Akira's life. Ryo's father had discovered the existence of demons when he found a mask during an excavation of the ruins of an ancient Mayan temple. This mask turned out to be a fossilized demon skull which showed whom ever wore it what the world was like when demons ruled over it. Ryo shows Akira how the world was and informs him about the demons' revival. Akira then sees Ryo's plan, "To fight a demon, one must become a demon."

Demons have the ability to possess and control humans. However, Ryo believes that Akira may be able to harness a demon's powers when possessed due to the fact that Akira has a pure heart. Ryo takes Akira to a demonic nightclub and begins to bring out the demons in the club. The demons begin to attack Akira until he becomes possessed by Amon. Amon is the Lord of War and also one of the strongest demons. His possession of Akira causes Akira to transform into Devilman. Devilman contains the strength and power of the demon Amon, as well as the heart and soul of the human Akira Fudo, giving Akira complete control. After he becomes Devilman, Akira is no longer timid and shy. He becomes very aggressive and no longer lets anyone push him around. This new change pleases Miki, although she is unaware of Akira's new found powers.

Throughout the manga and anime, Devilman has many battles with the demon hordes. He encounters many foes such as Silene (Sirene, Siron and Shirenu) the demon bird (she was also Amon's lover before he possessed Akira), the water demon Geruma (also called Gelmer), a large turtle-like demon called Jinmen, Welvath, Kaim, Zannin, Zan, Zenon, Psycho Jenny, Lala, and Saylos (Saylos is one of the main villains in the movie Amon: Apocalypse of Devilman).

The story ends with Akira discovering that his friend Ryo is really Satan in a dormant state. After Miki and her whole family are brutally slain by a horde (in a particularly famous scene, Akira retrieves Miki's dismembered body from her burned house and later is seen holding her head in his arms), the final fight between Devilman and Satan ensues. The earth is totally destroyed during this battle, and Devilman dies at the hands of Satan. Satan regrets what's he had done, and then creates the Slumking to punish him for what he did to his beloved Akira. This leads it onto the related series Violence Jack.

If there is any problems with that quotation, please give me a shout. I didn't check to see if the article had been vandalised-- I think it's pretty clean, though.

It also spawned a live action movie-- but avoid it. It's terribly bad, and really does destroy the Devilman franchise.

Appreciate that picture, although small, it took quite some time finding a suitable one for global viewing.

I wouldn't reccomend this to anyone under eighteen, but I have to say, if you decide to go out and purchase this anime-- don't blame me for it, if your parents get all mad.

I'd like to say again, Mods, if you deem this unacceptable, feel free to delete the topic. I'll understand, it's a bit of a dodgy topic; if you know what I mean?

Post subject: Re: All Hail Debiruman!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:06 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

So many views, but absolutely no replies. I assume it's an appropriate subject, as no one has deleted the topic - what gives with the lack of replies? Hehe.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]