Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Recommendation for manga?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:35 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

I'm sorry if there's already a thread like this, but I was wondering if anyone would like to give me a good recommendation for manga...

I like shoujo, and generally I like things that are in the T+/PG-13 range; that is, I like some relatively obvious romance, but I'm not a huge fan of really graphic romantic scenes and I'm not 18 yet so I really don't want to go there...

In general, I like short series because I tend to lose interest/go broke before I finish longer series; also, I'd kind of prefer one where the entire series is already published or I have a pretty good chance of getting to the last one without having to wait for anything.

And I guess you can use this as a general recommend/request recommendation thread....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:22 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Ooh, well here's a list of my favourite shoujo manga:

Ayashi no Ceres - 14 volumes long, but I think the rating is OT (16+).
Full Moon wo smurf - 7 volumes long.
Good Morning Call - 11 volumes long.
Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne - 7 volumes long.
Imadoki - 5 volumes long.
Paradise Kiss - 5 volumes long. Also OT.

All of those above series have really great art, characters and storyline ^^; You can do searches and read more about them if you like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:00 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Thank you very much, I think I will - I've actually read Imadoki (which I liked a lot) and I've read reviews about some of the other titles...so let's see what I can come up with. Again, thanks! ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:33 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Absolute Boyfriend, though not finished yet, is really good so far. It's by the same manga-ka as Imadoki.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:34 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Ooh, sounds good ^^ I'll check that one out, too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:55 am 
PPT Baby
PPT Baby

I would recommend Fruits Basket because it's really really good :)
but it's 22 (or is it 23?) volumes long. >_<

~ The squiggle is my favorite letter of the alphabet ^^ ~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:56 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

I actually started reading Fruits Basket, but I haven't finished it...the problem is that it's pretty long, and I don't have the time or budget to get through long series unless it's over a stretch of time...which is hard for my impatient nature to deal with! XD

I watched the anime, too, which I really like...I might just continue on that trend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:07 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

You could always stomp over to a Barnes and Noble, sit in a big comfy chair for a few hours ,and knock out the first 10 or so volumes in one go. I have a friend that does that every other month with mangas she's been dying too read but too cheap to buy. ;P She only breaks down and purchases them if she loves them enough for a reread or if they are wrapped in plastic. Ha!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:55 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

That's true, although my local B&N tends to get a bit antsy about people doing that - I have seen people get kicked out for spending too much time there...that being said, it's worth a shot, especially since I have the first two volumes in Fruits Basket...

Post subject: Re: Recommendation for manga?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:32 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I like a lot of the titles already mentioned, mainly Imadoki, Fruits Basket, and Absolute Boyfriend.

A Little Snow Fairy Sugar was cute. That was only 3 books.
I liked Alice 19th. (Same author as Imadoki, Absolute Boyfriend, Ceres, Fushigi Yugi.) It's 7 books.
Clover was pretty good. That's 4 books.
Magic Knight Rayearth is <3 <3 It's only 6 books.
Onegai Teacher is good. It's 2 books.
If you like books, Read or Die and Read or Dream are good. Die is more action and Dream is more shojoish. They are both 4 books.
Sailor Moon is <3 but it's kind of hard to find now since the American licenses ran out. :/ It's 18 books altogether.
Guru Guru Pon-chan is excellent. It has one book left to be published and is 9 books altogether. I might put off reading the last book for a bit once it does come out because I don't want it to end yet. haha
I liked The Good Witch of the West anime and I'm enjoying the manga as well. It's 5 books altogether (3 are out).
I'm enjoying Kitchen Princess. It's a sweet story, plus it has recipes in the back. ;) lol It's 5 books (2 are out).
I just started Pixie Pop (3 books/2 out) and Shugo Chara! (3 books/1 out) and I'm enjoying them so far.

If I could pick one out of all of them to recommend, I think I would pick Guru Guru Pon-chan. It's one of my current favorites. I hope I was some help! :)

Image Image
<3 Divas rock! Click to join. <3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:47 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

I'd recommend Pet Shop of Horrors. It is essentially a collection of short stories, but all the stories tie together.

It is complete now so it shouldn't be to hard for you to find all the volumes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:22 am 
PPT Baby
PPT Baby

Recommendations, huh? I have many a those :D
I re-recommend Alice 19th! It's an absolutely fabulous series, and I got caught up in it easily.

Another one for you would be "The Devil Does Exist". It's about a normal girl, and a bully boy who end up liking one another, to find out that they are going to be step-siblings ^^.

Mars - Its a really cute sort of romance about a boy who rides motorcycles, is the most popular in school. However, he falls for the girl who is the quietest in school. Really cute.

Fushigi Yugi - Nothing more to say that it is completely awesome :D

Fruits Basket - This one is just super cute. It's about the chinese zodiac, and that a certain family can turn into the animals if hugged by the opposite sex. It's totally adorable ^^

Sensual Phrase - A really big romance. A popstar falls for a highschool girl. Really big on the romance, but most definitely a mature read.

Absolute Boyfriend - This is most definitely a recommended. I have the first books, and they are awesome :D Definitely mature to an extent though. ^^

Unfortunately, that's all I can think of right now. If I get more, I'll edit this ^^

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:48 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Fruits Basket and Kare Kano. :)

Even if you've seen all of the anime for both, the manga continues the story where the series left off.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:35 pm 

Deathnote.
It's about two shinigami who drop a notebook on the earth, which falls into the hands of a teen. (angst plx)
If he writes a name in the book, they die.
Pretty dark, but good.

Thanks to Zilary for the l33t set.
<3 Zilary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:23 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

dorothy of oz was good :)

NDB Count: 835/1000

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next