Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Good ideas for a first Manga
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:53 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

I've been thinking of getting into manga, but I have NO IDEA where to start. Any suggestions on how to choose one, or any suggestions in general?

Set by the amazing Kitten Medli.
Wanna see some of my writing? Click here!

Post subject: Re: Good ideas for a first Manga
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:23 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Location: Los Osos, CA, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
Hayate the Combat Butler - It is very funny and has some good action and romance parts. It is one of my favorites.
Ranma 1/2 - Same as Hayate, only older.
Anything by CLAMP - They have a wide array of different genres and the art is beautiful.
Azumanga Daioh - Quick and easy read since it is in 4-coma style.

There are probably others, but these are easy to get into and develop at a good enough pace so you don't get overwhelmed or lost easily. Once again, I want to recommend Hayate since that series is great; it makes a ton of references to other series; and the characters are relatable (I feel like Hayate all the time). Most of the other series I read are a little too heavy for a first time.

PS: Note Nagi from Hayate in my sig. Isn't she cute! You know you want to read more about her.

Set by Cukupan
Ohayo Nippon every Sunday at LW
I *heart* R
I'm on a boat like a boss

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:42 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Hmm.. yeah, for a first time you'd probably want to stay away from long/on-going mangas such as Naruto or Bleach. They'd be way overwhelming. I haven't read the Azumanga Daioh manga, but the anime is simple and cute, so it might be a good place to start.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:13 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

It depends on what kinds of genres you're interested in. I'd also shoot for ones that have been completed and aren't too long. Then again, I prefer ones with a decent plot, so I like the slightly longer ones. Two that are completed that I particularly enjoyed were Death Note and Tokyo Crazy Paradise (the latter has not been licensed to an English-translating company, and thus can only be read on-line unless you can read Japanese). Death Note is a psychological thriller and cat-and-mouse game, and there were about 13 volumes. Tokyo Crazy Paradise is a mecha/romance that takes place in the near-future -- which is not usually the type of thing that I enjoy, but it had an interesting plot and characters; it was about 110 chapters long, if I remember correctly.

I'm currently reading Gokusen, which has about 1 volume left to be scanlated -- it's about a dedicated teacher trying to hide her yakuza background, and it's funny and heartwarming. It's 15 volumes long, but a fast read. If there are any animes that you like, you might want to consider starting with the manga to those if they exist -- many actually started as manga (though some go the other way, too), and I usually prefer the manga to the anime.

These might be longer than you'd be interested in, but they seem a decent length to me because I started with Naruto because of my nephews -- it's currently at chapter 430! (And I definitely wouldn't recommend starting with it.)

Blue graffitied on my signature... But it made me laugh, so it's all good!

Post subject: Good ideas for a first Manga
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:55 am 

There's a sale going on at work Buy 3 manga get 1 free on any new and used. New are regular price but Used are like 5 for most 10 new. So for 15 I got:
Negima V2-3
Haruhi V 1
Samurai Deeper Kyo V1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:26 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

The Horror genre of manga is amazing, and while I know a few names, it's incredibly disturbing. To the point I don't think it's proper to share here. In summary, the Japanese know how to translate their J-Horror films into manga form quite well. So if you're not a fan of those...*shiver* :evil:

======================================

:P Help support the NeoDex!!! :P

======================================

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]