Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 4:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:13 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Cassi wrote:
I second whoever recommended Diane Duane's Young Wizard's series, I enjoyed that. Also, Garth Nix...Sabriel, Lirael, and Abhorsen.

It was me who said that ;) I'd forgotten about Garth Nix - I adore that trilogy. I cried at the end of that one too, lol.

let's see...*wanders into room which is like a mini-library*

by William Nicholson, the Wind on Fire trilogy - the Wind Singer, Slaves of the Mastery, and Firesong.

also by Diane Duane, The Book of Night with Moon and To Visit the Queen. I recommend reading those after the Young Wizards series.

I quite liked Faerie Wars by Herbie Brennan, and the sequel is out now - The Purple Emperor. and I'd suggest more but I have to go now so I'll give you more later :D

edit - also.

the Seven Circles, by Douglas Niles, is quite good. It starts with Circle at Center, then World Fall, then The Goddess Worldweaver. Semi-graphic sex, though. *shrugs* I assume his other books are good but I can't say because I've never read them.

Sean Russel's trilogy, The Swans' War, is also quite good. It starts with The One Kingdom, then The Isle of Battle, then The Shadow Roads. I've only read the first two but quite liked them, so I'd assume the third one is good as well. I've also read his Beneath the Vaulted Hills, which I liked, and its sequel is Compass of the Soul, which I haven't read yet because the library doesn't have it :x Reviews of it are good, though.

Riddle of the Wren, by Charles de Lint.

Deerskin, by Robin McKinley.

Someone's mentioned Anne McCaffrey's dragon books...My personal favorite were the Harper Hall trilogy, which starts with Dragonsong, then Dragonsinger, then Dragondrums.

and now that I've given you way too many books, I shall stop. *grins and salutes*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:53 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

hiddenneggs wrote:
Amethyst wrote:
Have you read The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper? There're five books, first one is Over Sea, Under Stone. I highly recommend them^^

I recommend starting with the book The Dark is Rising, the second book -- think of Over Sea, Under Stone as sort of a prequel . . . it'll come into play with other books in the series, but I think TDiR is the best introduction (and perhaps the best of the lot). I gather there was also some sort of snarl with the publishing, with at least one imprint putting out only books 2 through 5.

I agree with the above statement, now I think about it. I actually read TDiR first because I didn't know it was a series. The other books make more sense if you read that one first :)

Oof, how could I have forgotten His Dark Materials? Single best fantasy series I have ever read. In fact, I should probably start rereading them again...-goes off to do so-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:44 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Amethyst wrote:
hiddenneggs wrote:
Amethyst wrote:
Have you read The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper? There're five books, first one is Over Sea, Under Stone. I highly recommend them^^

I recommend starting with the book The Dark is Rising, the second book -- think of Over Sea, Under Stone as sort of a prequel . . . it'll come into play with other books in the series, but I think TDiR is the best introduction (and perhaps the best of the lot). I gather there was also some sort of snarl with the publishing, with at least one imprint putting out only books 2 through 5.

I agree with the above statement, now I think about it. I actually read TDiR first because I didn't know it was a series. The other books make more sense if you read that one first :)

That's actually the order I'm reading them in.

Garth Nix also has the "seventh tower" series, for those who read short stuff. And Tamora Pierce has 22 books, so that will occupy you for a while.

Oof, how could I have forgotten His Dark Materials? Single best fantasy series I have ever read. In fact, I should probably start rereading them again...-goes off to do so-

Edit: where did my post go?????

Last edited by (*Dranzer*) on Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:03 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Amethyst wrote:

Eh, the fifth one is a little weird. This is why I never read past Subtle Knife in His Dark Materials, mind. Anyway, it REALLY makes me want to go to Wales. And Cornwall.

Anyway, read the Dark Elf Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore. It rocks. I also recommend the Icewind Dale Trilogy by same, though not as highly, and the first book requires a fairly high gore threshold.

And read Harry Potter, if you'e actually telling me you haven't.

Do what you will; but I will hinder it if I may.

-- Eowyn of the Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:37 am 
PPT God
PPT God

^^ Wow...so many books to read...fun!!! I have read Harry Potter...I wouldn't be a true book fantasy fanatic if I hadn't...hehe...oh yes...also read Gerald Morris, err...Monica Furlong...have read the series by Diane Duane...a little graphic after a while for me..., yea I read the series by Garth Nix...fun undead peoples =) though they were evil and freaky...it wasn't their fault...I think :roll: ...hehe...does anybody know if the Runelords has a sequel?

Ooh. It's pretty. :D See all the pretty presents? They can be yours if you vote for me. Yet, none of you know me. T_T How sad. There's no way to get the pretty presents then. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:45 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Have you read Winter of Fire by Sheryl Jordan? It was a book I really enjoyed, about a girl who's basically a slave who becomes the firelord's handmaid, which is the highest honor that can be bestowed on a female. It's a very interesting book, hooks you right in from the first page. It was such a good book I really wish it went on forever.
The backstory behind the book is amazing too - the woman that wrote it had a disease and her doctor told her she'd never be able to write again, yet she wrote this book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:02 am 
PPT God
PPT God

sounds interesting...i'll look into it

Ooh. It's pretty. :D See all the pretty presents? They can be yours if you vote for me. Yet, none of you know me. T_T How sad. There's no way to get the pretty presents then. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:39 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Twizzler0171 wrote:
Wolven Spirits wrote:
The Jerle Shannara is quite good, sequels too.

On the topic of Shannara... I would suggest reading the other series of Shannara, too. Sword of Shannara.. you know.

It's really descriptive with mongo mood-setting paragraphs, so it's a love-or-hate kind of thing. It's also one of those Tolkien scions I believe is responsible for all the sandy-bowlered ostriches running around in my fandom, but I really liked it, anyway. Especially when they get to Callahorn. There's an evil advisor who makes Wormtongue look like a pansy.

Do what you will; but I will hinder it if I may.

-- Eowyn of the Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:30 am 
PPT God
PPT God

A pansy eh? How very interesting....Hmm...I was wondering...have you any suggestions on which Elizabeth Moon book I should start on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:00 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

One of my fav fantasy serieses (O_o) is The Banned and the Banished by James Clemens. It is about a young Wit'ch and how she has to restock the spirit of magic (i think its called Chii or something). All the books are titled Wit'ch... (Fire, Hunt, War Star and Gate, but not in that order), and I would highly recommend them.

Also, to echo others, the His Dark Materials trilogy is great. READ IT!! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:20 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

If you like fantasy crossed with comedy, try "The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy" series. Oh and anything by Terry Prachett. They're more sci-fi though. o_O

It's coming...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:18 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

I know a really good one I just finished reading it. It is called "Old Magic"

Awesome sig done by DM
Dean Winchester is sooooo f***** hot!!!!! and he is all mine!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:25 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Read Discworld OMGLYKENOW.

Formerly Miss Padfoot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:44 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Read some of Tad Williams books. Theres the Otherworld series, a futuristic series about a huge game network thing, and lots more to it. And at the moment I'm reading the War of the Flowers. I'd suggest reading that. Its really good. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:59 am 
PPT God
PPT God

If your into animal fantasy, then Redwall series is pretty good, I personally only recommend anyone read the first two books of the series Redwall and Mossflower. The rest of the series is rather good but I don't think any of the other books compare to those two.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next