Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:26 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I've only read the Da Vinci Code because it got such rave reviews (and my brother asked me to buy it for him since it's cheaper here, which I did). Now I finally understand what my classmates are talking about. :roll:

While reading it, I thought he was pretty clever in how he managed to stick in a good cliffhanger in almost every chapter, and he appeared to sound logical and reasonable. It's hard to say if he's accurate though, unless you've got in-depth knowledge of the subject yourself. But even if it's all wrong I'd give him credit for weaving an illusion that it makes sense.

The ending fell rather flat though. Can't explain exactly why I feel that way, but I just do. It felt like a desperate last stab at making a sensible ending.

What I didn't like is how he wrote that everything is described in detail, accuracy and truth (the secret rituals and what not at the very front of the book). There's been several documentaries that have managed to prove little bits of the book that were meant to be right wrong and there's a boy on my bus who insists that bars of soap just don't exist in the Louvre's toilets. I think it would have been better if he hadn't claimed it was true because experts then challenge you and manage to prove you wrong. After all, I doubt that Dan Brown is an expert in every single field brought up in the book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:07 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

He wants to be though, Lillie.

Here'san example of a Dan Brown style piece of writing, about my father and I going shopping.

"...as they walked across Jubilee Bridge. This was the bridge in its second incarnation, after a flood 10 years ago had washed away its predecessor, with had been built to celebrate the Queen's Jubilee. Built from local stone, from a quarry not 20 miles away, it had 7 large pillars, 5 of which descended into the waters of the River Eden. The hand rails were made of iron, that had begun to rust...."

And so on. Until finally you get back to the actual story. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:27 pm 
PPT Baby
PPT Baby

Igg wrote:

Here'san example of a Dan Brown style piece of writing, about my father and I going shopping.

"...as they walked across Jubilee Bridge. This was the bridge in its second incarnation, after a flood 10 years ago had washed away its predecessor, with had been built to celebrate the Queen's Jubilee. Built from local stone, from a quarry not 20 miles away, it had 7 large pillars, 5 of which descended into the waters of the River Eden. The hand rails were made of iron, that had begun to rust...."

OMG Dan brown is a girl, and shes on my forum. lol. And you forgot what colour the stones are, and what relevance they have to the bridge. ;0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:12 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

I love his books, I have finished Angels and Demons and am currently reading The Da Vinci Code, with pictures! I can't wait to finish that so I can read her (I think) other books. I like the end of Angels and Demons the best. It is soo cool and confusing. :P

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." - Terry Pratchett. Thanks to Blue for the set!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:31 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

janobi wrote:
Igg wrote:

OMG Dan brown is a girl, and shes on my forum. lol. And you forgot what colour the stones are, and what relevance they have to the bridge. ;0

Only because I don't know sweetheart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:13 am 
PPT God
PPT God

i liked the davinci code, mainly because you learnt a little something while reading it. however the writing style wasn't always smooth.. if that makes any sense. my family loves it, basiclly my mum, who took 2 years to read the first page of the LOTRs series, which was because she was busy, took the time to finish it in two weeks.. outstanding for her anyway.

but most of my friends LOATH the book with a passion. several are pretty strongly catholic. when i was at school, we actually got given a religious newsletter (which we got often anyway) pointing out oh how so wrong and evil the books were. my relgion teacher spent one lesson talking to me about the book.

the others who aren't religious agree with igg, that the writing style leaves ALOT to be desired. which i am now starting to agree with a bit more, as i am starting to re-read the book.. i've only read the davinci one so far.

what i think i dislike about this book as that people are treating it as if its seriously real. it is for me, in the fiction section of the bookstore for a reason. as for the image of the V in the last supper, apparently if you look at the figures, it actually spells out the word daVinci. seriously it does, you have to look a bit harder but the pulled up an image on a doctumentary i was watching. love it or hate it, for me its a still interesting book all the same, i didn't know a few things about some of the symbols discussed. but its not an all time favorite sorta thing.

If you see my sanity, get it to give me a call.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:49 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Igg wrote:

Lol. I am reading The DaVinci Code right now (about halfway through as of last night). I was saying the same thing to Tim the other day. I have the illustrated version, which is excellent, but it makes the book even more like a text book. I love to see pictures of people and things they are talking about, but there are pictures of *everything*, even things you don't really need to see picture of. For example, if some famous person was baptized in one of the locales, suddenly there is a picture of them taking up half the page when that is their only mention in the whole story. :roll:

His writing reminds me somewhat of Tolkien. Tim brought up the comparison the otherday before I even mentioned much of it. Tolkien tends to drag on and on as well. He'll explain the trip the characters take and and where the path follows (important places) and stories within them and every tree and rock they pass and who else has passed that way and who their fathers were and what they did and what color underwear they wore, etc. etc. etc. The actually story is really great, but it takes some determination to stay with it to the end. Herman Melville does the same in Moby smurf. At the end of that book you will definitely know how to whale. lol

I'm really enjoying The DaVinci Code so far. I love all the information in it, especially the pagan history, but then again I have always enjoyed reading text books. I used to read them for fun. :P

I've noticed an illustrated edition of Angels and Demons on Amazon I think I'll pick up. I was wondering, do you think Deception Point and Digital Fortress are books that will be illustrated as well or just the Robert Langdon novels? I'm trying to decide whether to pick them up now or wait to see if other editions come out.

Image Image
<3 Divas rock! Click to join. <3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:13 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

At least Tolkein shoves some of his excess 'knowledge' in appendices!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 2:28 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Location: In my room listening to Hardcore Metal Christian music.
Igg wrote:
At least Tolkein shoves some of his excess 'knowledge' in appendices!

-gigglesnort-

We had to read Silas Marner in my English class. Oh, dear Lord, that lady just won't shut her mouth. Each sentence was about 50 words long (well, not really, but it seemed that way), and there was even a whole chapter (about 8 pages in small type) of the townspeople talking about COWS. O_O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:55 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

My mom got me "The Davinci Code" as a present and I've started reading it.

Oddly enough, I hate mysteries, but this one has somehow grabbed my attention :o

signature by WIS! :]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:15 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

The Da Vinci Code doesn't really deserve all the hype its gotten. Whilst it is a good work of fiction (And I stess that it is fiction and a lot of his "facts" are a load of utter rubbish) and it was fun trying to see some churches fight it by trying to disprove everything (our school chapel had a term of studying the book ending with an hour long "the book is wrong" seminar XP), it's just not the greatest in terms of style of writing. It may hook you (it did with me) and you may like it but from a writing stlye perspective its horrendous. And the ending was a bit...eh. I mean, a whole book for him to realise the answer was in his book (Hope that didn't spoil it for anybody, it shouldn't as you don't have a clue what I'm talking about till the end)

I know of many better books, its good, but not as great as many claim it to be. I'm a fence-sitter, through and through XP

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3