SHHH!!! Can you read? Want to prove it? Meet fellow book worms and discuss the literary brilliance of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
Topic locked

A Clockwork Orange

Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:54 am

The book is so much better than the movie, although I must give Kubrik awesome props. But anyone who saw the movie thinks they know the whole story and point of it but they don't. Cause there's another chapter. 21. Oh yeah. The optimistic hope and growing-up twist.
That aside, it's an amazing book. a lomtick hard to pony, but you get use to it :)

Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:49 pm

Ew. Chapter 21.

No one I have ever met liked Chapter 21, it gives the story to much of a positive ending. The only good thing I could find with it, is that you didn't really know if Alex was OK or not, you just assumed that he was.

Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:43 am

I had such difficulty the first time I read A Clockwork Orange. Partly because I was 12. I appreciated it so much more my second and third times through.

It's one my favourites, a shame I don't own a copy.

Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:51 am

*adds it to the list of things she really needs to pick up*

Ah, the movie. My friend Kieran had really greasy hair after the school musical, and he couldn't get his eyeliner off. His hair was falling stringily over his face and we started singing the William Tell Overture..

Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:59 pm

My brother owns that book, and the movie for that matter, but I refuse to read it. I really never did like the movie so I know I wouldn't like the book...it's just to violent for me and something I don't think is sutible for younger readers.

Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:07 am

Anthony Burgess thought he should have received the Nobel Prize for literature. His work may have been ok, but I would always advise against putting too much faith in your own reviews.

Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:27 am

Seen the film, but havent read the book yet. Definately something I would enjoy. Film was a kubric masterpiece, so I assume the book would be even better.

Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:08 am

halfbakedbliss wrote:Ew. Chapter 21.

No one I have ever met liked Chapter 21, it gives the story to much of a positive ending. The only good thing I could find with it, is that you didn't really know if Alex was OK or not, you just assumed that he was.

come on! that's the way the author intended it to be! the entire world read chapter 21 while the US was lagging behind for decades. and the only reason it wasnt published here is because it was during the vietnam-era and the US publisher wanted something less soft. so... cut out the last chapter!

Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:16 pm

hella nervous wrote:
halfbakedbliss wrote:Ew. Chapter 21.

come on! that's the way the author intended it to be! the entire world read chapter 21 while the US was lagging behind for decades. and the only reason it wasnt published here is because it was during the vietnam-era and the US publisher wanted something less soft. so... cut out the last chapter!

In the introduction to the Penguin books version (the copy my loving friends bought me as an early birthday present), it says that Burgess was annoyed that they eliminated the 21st chapter, generally because in doing so it broke the 3 sections of the book down. He hadn't felt that it was his place to complain though.

Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:53 pm

Igg wrote:*adds it to the list of things she really needs to pick up*

Ah, the movie. My friend Kieran had really greasy hair after the school musical, and he couldn't get his eyeliner off. His hair was falling stringily over his face and we started singing the William Tell Overture..

Pfft. Our school did bloody Oliver! the musical.

The film was on a few weeks ago and I really enjoyed it. My library is being stupid getting the book for me though, and I dare not go in Waterstone's for a while because I will buy everything.

Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:09 pm

Consider yourself...our mate! Consider yourself...one of the famerlee!

You were smurf weren't you.

Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:45 pm

heh heh, i wasn't anything. i didn't even go.

Thu May 05, 2005 4:04 pm

So mad now. My dad says I can't/shouldn't read it until I'm 14.... Same goes for "The Lord of the Flies". Maybe I'll smuggle them into my room from the public library. *sigh*

Tue May 10, 2005 10:38 am

I can't imagine how you deal with the russian phoenetics inserted into the text at random points -- they sure annoy me, even if I can understand them once I realize they're there.

CLOCKWORK

Thu May 12, 2005 11:43 pm

i just rented that movie i am going to watch it. is it good or worth watching?
Topic locked