Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 7:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:41 am 
PPT God
PPT God

An eerily recursive bad year for mental barriers. Or am I just molding it all into the template? I'm pretty sure that father-ideal and cheat-sheet only fit together in my twisted little brain, but as for the rest of it... Anyway, shows me to click on threads for books I haven't read yet.

Roran, Roran, Roran. I can't believe no one's mentioned Roran yet. How awesome is he? The only thing wrong with the Roran bits isn't Paolini's fault in the slightest. Yeah, Katrina was just... the wrong name at the wrong time.

However, as an atheist, a biology enthusiast, and a person who always wanted Orcs to have depth, GET OFF YOUR SOAPBOX, PAOLINI. I want to read a fantasy novel, not a children's textbook or a manifesto. Any vegetarians among you? Let's get your reactions.

Do what you will; but I will hinder it if I may.

-- Eowyn of the Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:35 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Location: New Zealand Weapon: HaaH Sword Species: Human Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
The whole turning vegetarian thing was not very well thought out considering previously in the book he had discovered the intellegence of plants, and felt them die, so technically, he should still feel as revolted at eating vegetables as he would eating meat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:11 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Plus, didn't Brom get the same training? I'm pretty sure we saw him eating meat in Eragon. Y'know, the first volume's outlook on the world may have been a little simplistic, but better that than preachy and with plotholes. "Raping villages is just a part of Urgal culture." Blech.

Although, sure, Murtagh is a bit more sympathetic than certain people. My impression of a pledge in the ancient language is that you're just compelled, period, like a house-elf only absolute. But I'm sure Paolini will be asked that any time, so we shall see.

EDIT: And if Galbatorix could break into Murtagh's mind, what mind couldn't he break into?

Oh, right, an elf's mind. Yeah, I get it.

Also, I don't think there was enough time in the book for Thorn to learn to breathe fire. Plot hole or plot point?

-- Eowyn of the Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:00 am 
PPT God
PPT God

I read it, simply because I'd read Eragon (which I'd read because it was the only semi-decent book I could find at Wal-Mart and all my other books were already shipped off) and because it was thick and would kill more time than the other books I was considering buying.

Like Eragon, I thought it was decent enough, but nothing amazing.

Also, yea, the vegetarian thing. I am a vegetarian, but I found the whole thing rather preachy and annoying.

I'm sure I'll read the last book, if only out of curiosity.

And this post is rather disjointed, but I can't be bothered to fix it up.

Ali is love.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:36 am 

Eidolon wrote:
the morzan = eragon's father part did surprise me quite a lot, though.
I dunno, it always seemed to me that Eragon's father would have been someone evil like Galbatorix but Morzan was not too far behind Galbatorix when it came to evil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:35 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

I suppose ^_^ it does make sense now that I think about it, I just hadn't been contemplating the question of eragon's paternity. if I'd thought about it I'd probably have guessed galbatorix, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:44 am 
PPT God
PPT God

I thought it was Brom, because he knew Eragon's mother, and showed up in Carvahall just after Eragon was born, and... well, there was a load of other stuff, but I don't remember it.

I'm struggling greatly to picture NewImproved!Eragon looking a thing like Original!Eragon. Partly because I didn't picture his jaw as all that broad.

Arya, you might not think much of religion, but that hall of records is cool.

Oh, and I'm very relieved to hear that Eragon's true love is not going to be Arya. There were way, way, way too many things wrong with that. Here's hoping it's Nasuada!

-- Eowyn of the Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:28 pm 

I see how you could have thought it was Brom, that would make a lot of sense if he was his father. Arya and Eragon would have been wrong, it should be Nasuada unless there's a twist of some sort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:19 am 

Is Eldest a good book? I haven't even read Eragon. :(

yeah... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:19 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I'd vote yes on that one.

Eragon / Eldest were enjoyable. Timing of the chapter-breaks has been pretty decent, and the plot is your standard fantasy. I've read them "as is" -- without any sort of theorizing or cross-referencing past the obvious "aha!" clicks in my head. Turned out pretty good -- the surprise parts got me like they should have, and not once have I felt bored (although a couple of Eragon/Roran plot switches were annoyingly placed -- I want to know more about the other, not the one you're giving me for the next two chapters :P (then again, that goes to suspense, which is part of the reasons you keep reading)).

The next book... is tricky. If Galbatorix is really intent on keeping Eragon alive, we've reached a pretty boring point with two outcomes (a) Eragon defeats Galbatorix, world peace ensues (assuming Nasuada is not intent on wiping out the magic-enabled population) or (b) Galbatorix "pwns" Eragon, world peace ensues after the Varden is toast. 5 cents on (a) due to the general nature of the books, although no idea on how that'll happen (probably something creative on the part of the dragons).

Will you stop with the honour stuff?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:45 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Christopher wrote:
The whole turning vegetarian thing was not very well thought out considering previously in the book he had discovered the intellegence of plants, and felt them die, so technically, he should still feel as revolted at eating vegetables as he would eating meat.

Well, plants just have urges... and after you remove fruits/ berries/ leaves/ roots (?) of some plants they don't die...

Tharkun wrote:
Plus, didn't Brom get the same training? I'm pretty sure we saw him eating meat in Eragon.

They said he went mad after his dragon died...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:10 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Location: New Zealand Weapon: HaaH Sword Species: Human Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
CWisgood wrote:
Christopher wrote:

Well, plants just have urges... and after you remove fruits/ berries/ leaves/ roots (?) of some plants they don't die...

The same way if I ate your arms and legs you wouldn't die :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:11 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Christopher wrote:
CWisgood wrote:
Christopher wrote:

The same way if I ate your arms and legs you wouldn't die :P

I'll give you them if I have no or extremely few nerves and if they grow back.

Heck, I'll offer everyone in the forum a piece. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:32 pm 

Eldest. Good book. Don't argue.

So much for freedom of speech.

Anyway, I think that Eragon's "true love" WILL be Arya, just as a surprise to the predictable Nasuada ending. Then again, you wouldn't know. I do like, however, the extreme gap in between powers. How is Murtagh so powerful if Morzan was killed by Brom, who didn't stand a chance against Galbatorix? In any case, good book.

-freeze

*cough* *wheeze* *choke* *put hands at throat* *trip over small spike in elevation* *lie on floor and die a horribly slow death*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:04 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

I don't believe this. Am I the only one who thinks Roran is Essence of Cool? It's because of that that I don't want him to be the Green Rider, because then he'd have to take training from Eragon... Anyway, Paolini does have an orator's gift, really, he does. I border on a mad crush on Roran, but since Roran is obviously taken, it's the other side of the border.

Wouldn't it be great if Eragon, when he sees Sloan, remembers his childish resolution to punch him? Heh, just a thought. You know, someone should totally write an AU where Sloan's wife didn't die.

By the way, I kind of thought it would be too predictable if the Twins were evil. Thought they were sadists happy with their employment, just as a world-isn't-divided twist. Oh, and you have no idea how frustrating it is not to be able keep a single opinion of Murtagh on a single page, when you lean towards the black-and-white as I do. But aside from that... Hrothgar, the ancient language, the (albeit clear-cut) act of mercy... it's a conspiracy, I tell you!

-- Eowyn of the Mark

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next