Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 6:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:37 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Can any of you think of a good extract from the book that illustrates how well-informed Lupin seems, compared to other members of the Order, such as Mrs. Weasley, who was never told about Scabbers? I'm asking because I need it in a general sort of way that isn't... specific to the OotP plot arc.

See, I'm painting Moody, and I'm captioning it, "We can't trust anybody." -- Hermione Granger, and McGonagall, and I'm captioning that, "He will not be single-handed!", so I need something that encapsulates why Lupin might be Dumbledore's successor.

Any ideas?

(Though out of the three, I like the idea of Moody. We've seen what can go wrong with trust - now we'll see why trust is, on the whole, a good idea.)

EDIT: Oh, and I've given up on the spider-leitmotif bit. Aragog throws a wrench into the whole mess, Spinner's End or no. No matter what your take on Snape, well... there's only one version of Hagrid. I am instead scanning the books for every time Snape's face is inscrutable and smacking myself in the head repeatedly for not having thought of this after OotP.

Do what you will; but I will hinder it if I may.

-- Eowyn of the Mark

Post subject: Good one
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:00 pm 

This is acctually a good idea, but I cant go along with it.. I'll PM you with my idea. ;)

internet blackjack online blackjack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:09 am 

I read it the day it came out and have since read it several times (HOW COULD HE DIE?!). Anyway ... from this quote on pg. '571-573':

Hating himself, repulsed by what he was doing, Harry forced the goblet back toward Dumbledore’s mouth….
Dumbledore…moaned, ‘Don’t hurt them, don’t hurt them, please, please, it’s my fault, hurt me instead…’
Dumbledore drank, and no sooner had he finished than he yelled, ‘KILL ME!’

In my interpretation, this could either mean something about Dumbledore's past (which I'm dying to know more about) or it could foreshadow what happened later. -shifty eyes- The latter is far-fetched, I know, but it still makes sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:36 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Conspiracy theory time...

Quote:
The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches...born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies...and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not...and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives...the one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies...

You know, the part I've bolded could be taken to have a different meaning than first assumed.

What if the "other" this refers to, isn't in fact the other member of the Voldy/Harry pair, but instead, the other person originally included in the prophecy.

That's right ladies and gentlemen, I'm talking about Neville.

The prophecy could be taken to mean that either Harry or Voldemort will die at the hands of Neville. Hopefully when the Nevster goes on a huge rampage, killing everybody in sight. Yay mass rampages!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:32 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Location: THE HEART OF DARKNESS. *ominous drums* Haha, just kidding, I'm stalking you. :D
the_dog_god wrote:

Quote:
The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches...born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies...and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not...and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives...the one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies...

You know, the part I've bolded could be taken to have a different meaning than first assumed.

What if the "other" this refers to, isn't in fact the other member of the Voldy/Harry pair, but instead, the other person originally included in the prophecy.

The prophecy could be taken to mean that either Harry or Voldemort will die at the hands of Neville. Hopefully when the Nevster goes on a huge rampage, killing everybody in sight. Yay mass rampages!

(Sorry if I misread your post and am thus making myself look like an utter idiot, as I tend to do that. :P )

http://www.jkrowling.com/textonly/en/ru ... .cfm?id=36
http://www.jkrowling.com/textonly/en/faq_view.cfm?id=84

Nope. :)

Though I must say, I thought that theory was pretty darned cool before JKR shot it down. She's such a heart-breaker.

can't find the sig from this set, so instead, you get a <3 .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:51 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Hehhe :P I was joking :P But still...mass rampages would be so much cooler than the predcictable "Voldemort will die! The day will be saved...but at a price because characters X, Y and Z died too..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:08 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

the_dog_god wrote:

Quote:

No offense, but Neville isn't a candidate. Voldemort has never marked him as an equal. Quid pro quo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:41 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

I think you mean Q.E.D. ^ ^ Anyway, it's not that Neville is the Chosen One, it's that the "other" referred to is a third party. Harry is pretty clearly the Chosen One. I don't think we're going to have any random Bard of Esgaroth finish off Moldywart, we would feel cheated. Weelll, maybe Tharkun wouldn't feel cheated if it were Neville, but she's crazy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:04 am 
PPT God
PPT God

I have an idea. It's crazy, I admit, but I will stick by it.

Professor Binns is R.A.B.

Here are a few reasons:

He's dead.
His last name is Binns.
Very little is shown about him during the ENTIRE book series, except for his speech in the Chamber of Secrets.
R.A.B. expects Voldemort to be vanquished one day, so why not leave a remnant of him to witness the event?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:06 pm 

Dranzer-

However much your theory complies with the initials, R.A.B, the statement written on the piece of parchment states that he refers to Voldiepoo as 'The Dark Lord'. Regulus Black was once a Death Eater, and died mere days after leaving the Dark Lord's service officially. Professor Binns, however mysterious he could seem, has taught at Hogwarts since before Voldiepoo was born, so therefore in my opinion seems unlikely he has been working for Voldiepoo as an undercover agent.

More on my opinion as we further this discussion.
Hi, I'm Lollie. Nice to meet you, by the way. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:20 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

lol, I wanted to read the next book when I read it (about a day after its release)

Looks like we have to wait another year and a half to read it =K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:16 am 

guineadan wrote:
lol, I wanted to read the next book when I read it (about a day after its release)

Looks like we have to wait another year and a half to read it =K

Same! I was so infuriated that we have to wait at least 2 years before the next book comes out. But I guess that gives readers time to think out theories and to let the hype for the Harry Potter books build up.

JK says she's already written the seventh book. I really wander what in it? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:01 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Hey, guys, I'm back. (But not before I apparently killed Twelfth Kingdom. Shows me to be an essential character in a roleplay...) You are free to discuss Harry Potter again.

Ah, my last message says I was planning an Occlumency database. Totally forgot about that. I'll get on it.

Anyway, major discovery. You know how Harry is getting information about Draco from the house-elves? So he congratulates Dobby, and Hermione naturally consoles Kreacher. So Kreacher starts ranting about being spoken to by a Mudblood. And you know what Harry says then?

Get out of it.

That's right, folks, the exact same mistake Sirius made. And then Kreacher Disapparates and you don't hear from him for the rest of the book.

Just when I was beginning to hold Harry in high esteem.

-- Eowyn of the Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:19 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

I don't want the series to end. I mean, obviously I'm desperate to get my grubby little mitts on the next and final book, but life will be so boring after we find out how everything finishes.

God, I'm sad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:06 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Better that it ends than that it succumbs to sequelitis, though.

(Well, I wouldn't mind a bit more of the schoolbook variety, especially if it's A History of Magic.)

I've thought of a (rather unlikely) ending that would make the chronic cliche-haters happy - what if Harry dies before he defeats Voldemort, but then comes back as a ghost - in the long run, a fate worse than death - in order to direct Voldemort's defeat in such a way that it's categorically his doing? Let's see Ron try and make ghost jokes then, eh?

(Sorry, that bit of Ron really annoys me. I mean, when Nearly-Headless Nick says you show all the sensitivity of a blunt axe, you have crossed a line.)

Did anybody else take the WOMBATs? Talk about your living reminders that JKR pwns us all. And if you did, what on earth did you answer for the witch who seduced her husband with a love potion and turned him into a table? That one was a beast. Reckon I passed, though.

-- Eowyn of the Mark

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next