Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Harry Potter (split, finally!)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:37 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Shoelace wrote:
What I wanted to know is:
-Who is Malfoy married to? O_o
-Where they got the Sword back from? As far as I knew, the goblin took it. But it says it's on the table next to Neville after the fight..... maybe I read it wrong or something XD

He took it out of the sorting hat, he's a tru gryfindor d00d. Harry isn't the only brave character.

Harry could get the sword outta the hat because he truly epitomises the properties of Godric, and Neville did too (i mean, he stood up to voldemort).

huzzah.

Do you miss Bill? I miss Bill. Go to this thread to petition Bill Back!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:56 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Igg wrote:
Sounds like a case for Doctor House!

I just thought it was well lame. OH NOES HARRY YOU MUST DIE O WAIT ACTUALLY NO LOLS

Dude, he was the master of death, he "posessed" (in quote marks as he was the true owner of the wand but didnt actually have it) the three deathly hallows so he could choose not to die.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:58 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Yeah, which was a totally lame cop out! OH HOW CONVENIENT.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:52 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Just finished it 30 minutes ago, and here are some of my thoughts:

I knew that the Snitch had the Resuscitation Stone or whatever, because it fit. Although, I kept thinking that the tiara Fleur wore to the wedding was the other Horcrux, since it was apparently similar to the diadem. That would've been ironic.

What I don't understand is exactly how Harry became the master of the Elder Wand. I know that when Harry got Draco's wand he basically became the master of the Elder Wand too, but how did Draco become the master of the Elder Wand?

Speculation Central - Thinking about the future... Today!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:57 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Location: I don't know, but there'd better be chocolate. [art by Fiddelysquat]
Dragonfire wrote:
What I don't understand is exactly how Harry became the master of the Elder Wand. I know that when Harry got Draco's wand he basically became the master of the Elder Wand too, but how did Draco become the master of the Elder Wand?

Draco, not Snape, defeated Dumbledore. Snape was merely carrying out Dumbledore's orders when he killed Dumbledore, while Draco worked against Dumbledore to get the Death Eaters into Hogwarts without Dumbledore knowing. It's a strange distinction, but it makes sense. Sort of.

"Oh, better far to live and die/Under the brave black flag I fly/Than play a sanctimonious part/With a pirate head and a pirate heart."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:28 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Shoelace wrote:
What I wanted to know is:
-Who is Malfoy married to? O_o
-Where they got the Sword back from? As far as I knew, the goblin took it. But it says it's on the table next to Neville after the fight..... maybe I read it wrong or something XD

Since nobody seems to want to answer your first question, its probably Pansy Parkinson.

Also, my post-afterthoughts of the book:
-Where art thou, Department of Mysteries?
-There was nothing about Harry's eyes, despite JKR saying it would be very important.
-Trelawney with the crystal balls in the battle for Hogwarts was BRILLIANT!!!!
-I'm sure the Mothers Against Murdering Molly group was satisfied that she got to own Bellatrix, as am I.
-I think the character who got the reprieve might have been Luna, since she wasn't in the epilogue and it seemed as if she could go at any minute in the middle of the book.

Edit: I'm listening to MuggleCast right now.
They think the person who performed magic late in life could be Petunia, for contacting Dumbledore (granted, when she was young), or Dudley for his change in the beginning.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:01 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Just finished.

• I know everyone thinks the Albus Severus thing was lame, but I really like it, I think it's fitting. I'm guessing it's probably James Sirius too?
  • I was saddest about the deaths of Hedwig and Dobby. :(
  • GO MOLLY, Lolz!! Suck it Bellatrix.
  • I loved, loved the battle of Hogwarts and the preparations for it, I thought that was the best scene.
  • I thought maybe there was too much repetition in the scenes were the trio is hiding in the tent. I was just kinda like DO SOMETHING ALREADY for a bit.
  • I'm happy Harry and Ginny and Ron and Hermione had lots of little wizard babies. ^_^

Overall, I was right on the big three predictions- Harry being a horcrux, Harry living, and Snape being good. But I was totally off on the deaths! Sorry Ron and Ginny for wanting you offed. :(

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:12 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Moongewl wrote:
Dragonfire wrote:

Draco, not Snape, defeated Dumbledore. Snape was merely carrying out Dumbledore's orders when he killed Dumbledore, while Draco worked against Dumbledore to get the Death Eaters into Hogwarts without Dumbledore knowing. It's a strange distinction, but it makes sense. Sort of.

I think they explained that the main thing was that Draco disarmed Big Al during that confrontation.

Of course, that would make everyone who's ever disarmed anyone in the books master of their wands, but I think intention matters too, somehow.

Byakuya San wrote:
They think the person who performed magic late in life could be Petunia, for contacting Dumbledore (granted, when she was young), or Dudley for his change in the beginning.

I thought it was supposed to be Ariana. Though she was showing signs of magic before her trauma, she seems like the closest fit. It doesn't really take magic to mail a letter or be polite. ;)

ImageImageImage
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. - Samuel Clemens

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:47 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

I need to vent.

I am extremely upset that its over. I grew up with the books. They're like some weird family in my head.

So naturally I take deaths, births, adventures and comments very seriously.

When I read the books its like I'm part of them. Living them. I even manage to sweat like a pig because I'm so nervous about whats next.

I figured Mad Eye would go. It makes sense. She's killed off many characters linked to powerful memories for Harry. But losing my Fred! UNEXCUSABLE!

Now, I know its just a book character...and I sure I seem (as Jo put it) "nuttier than squirrel poop"...but I definately fancied Fred in a rather unhealthy way...seeing as he's not a real person and all.

And Tonks...everyone who's read the books see's so much of me in her. And I am inclined to agree (I definately cant walk into a room without knocking over something). Its so hard for me to see her go. And Lupin. He reminded me alot of my brother. Weary, but kind hearted.

I still don't like Snape. No matter how good he appears in the end. But my heart did pain for him. And the doe...so touching.

which brings me to my sad point. The chapter with the stone. I know how Harry feels. To look into your heart and want nothing more than the people you lost there beside you again. I nearly sobbed into my book. I wish so much that something like the stone was real...just to tell them goodbye. I know Snape's pain to see the person you love by nothing more than a headstone and a memory. Its so painful.

I was glad that Harry's character named his children after his parents and mentors. I had always planned to name my son after Ryan someday.

But I still walk away from the book feeling unwhole. Like theres something still missing.

It would be nice to know what happened to the death eaters in the end...the surviving ones I mean. And what happened to those falsely imprisoned in Azkaban...or those who fleed abroad. I know they are only minor characters, but they seem to bring the circle to a better close.

And I'm glad to see one character I have loved from the start grow into something so magnificant. I love Neville. I have form the 1st moment he walked onto the pages. And I am so glad he was safe. He character means the world to me. A sheer sign of friendship, loyality, bravery and hope. I have lost my other 2 favorite characters, but I got to keep Neville, which is what has kept me from tears.

to me, the books have ment learning about myself through these characters. Finding a bit of myself in some of them, and who I want to be in others. Jo has taken me on a wonderful journey in my life, and I will never forget it.

I will miss you Fred...and I wish you were real.

& I dont think I will miss Tonks as much...since I carry so much of her character inside me already.

I'll just try to not knock over as many things in the future... :oops:

Set by me!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:23 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Overall, I loved the book. I think it was a great way to end the series, and there is a definite ending with JKR throwing in the epilogue, so people won't be asking "please write a book 8!!!" There are several questions that I don't feel were answered, or things I still wonder (but if she were to answer everyone's questions and what people wondered, she'd have to write Harry's entire life out).

Dudley was a RIOT at the beginning of the book! I loved that part lol!

Harry has Lily's eyes, but I don't see anywhere as to that being explained why it's so important?

I think also that Draco ended up with Pansy. That was the first girl I thought of too.

I'm sad that Hedwig died, but I can't picture Hedwig hanging out with Harry through the book. Although she could have stayed with the Weasley's! I think JKR killed Hedwig for the somewhat of same reason that she had Harry break up with Ginny. Voldemort would have been able to find Harry if he'd seen Hedwig anywhere.

I knew JKR wasn't going to kill Hermione or Ron, she'd said somewhere a while ago that she wouldn't be able to kill Hermione, that she was too much like herself, and that Harry needed his best friend Ron. I just wish I could remember where or when she said that, since no one else seems to remember what I'm talking about. :P

Of all the deaths, Hedwig's upset me the most, then Dobby's the next. I had to try hard not to show emotion when reading the book, since my hubby has only just started it, but I wanted to cry when those two died.

I was disapointed about the epilogue too. Whatever happened to the Dursleys and Hermione's parents? I did enjoy the background on why "Tuney" hated Hogwarts so much, from Snape's memories.

Harry dying and coming back didn't really surprise me... (maybe that's because in the Stargate tv shows the people do that all the time lol!), I figured at first it was because he had 2 souls in him, so only one was killed, not his body. Although the master of death makes more sense. ;)

I was wondering about jobs too, that's frustrating. Since Harry, Ron, and Hermione didn't finish school, were they able to get jobs that require NEWTS? Like Harry wanting to be an Auror?

I thought that the tiara Fleur wore would be the diadem they were looking for too.

Draco being the owner of the Elder wand makes sense, since he disarmed Dumbledore. If Dumbledore had picked up his wand after Draco disarmed him, then Draco wouldn't have become the master. But Dumbledore never touched his wand again (alive), so Draco rightfully won the wand.

I thought that while Lupin and Tonks dying was a surprise and awful, after I thought about it, it kind of made sense. Harry's parents both died, while not the same way, I think JKR was tying in a lot of similarities between Harry's family and Lupin's baby's family. (Harry mentioned a few times that he was acting like Sirius did as a Godfather.) I'm guessing also that Teddy is living with his grandmother? Since Lupin/Tonks, and Tonks' dad are all dead?

Overall I thought it was a good ending to the series though. With soooo much content, the book couldn't possibly be expected to make everyone 100% satisfied.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:24 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Well, there are more than a few of us Snape-supporters out there *points to signature.* Sure he was a git, but his heart was in the right place. I think it was important that Harry had Lily's eyes because they were the last thing Snape wanted to look at before he died. He wasn't looking at Harry in his last moments - he was looking at Lily's eyes. This caused him to pour all his memories out so that Harry could see how very much she meant to him. Also, it helped to clear Snape's name because Harry would know the truth about his actions. Because of the memories, Harry knew what he had to do to vanquish Voldemort. Poor, poor Severus Snape. I hope Harry made sure that he had an honorable funeral.

I wasn't too fussed with Hedwig dying. I know its cruel... but I never liked that owl.

Now, Dobby. Holy moly. I didn't know I could cry that much until Snape died. Just the thought of Harry digging the grave because he loved Dobby so much that it had to be "right." Oh goodness, tears are welling up as I type. Snape and Dobby. I never thought I could be so sorrow-filled for them - because even though I liked both the characters, they drove me UP A WALL in previous books.

I'm personally pretending that Fred didn't die. It was sudden so I can act like it didn't happen. And when I do admit to my delusions, I'm not sad for Fred. We saw that heaven wasn't bad. Fred isn't in pain or sad - Heaven is a nice place. My heart breaks for GEORGE. Can you imagine how horrible it is for him? His twin, constant companion, best friend... gone. How on earth is he going to get over it? Thank goodness for Lee Jordan, he'll help out a bit.

And okay, as AWESOME as the battle for Hogwarts was (and it was!)... was anyone else thinking of Beauty and the Beast?

The epilogue. Wow. Um... I'm happy for Harry. He got what he always wanted - a normal boring life with a family who loves him. He never wanted glory, just love. It's a nice ending for him. I'm sorry if a lot of people disagree, but the tragic-hero sacrificing himself, dying for the greater good, is an over used plot device. I'm glad Jo put her own twist on it by having him live BECAUSE he chose death. Although, I would have liked to have known what the heck was going on for some things. I assume that Andromeda raised Teddy Lupin because he didn't already have a bedroom in Harry's house. However, who was Victorie? The name sounds French, so I'm assuming that she is Fleur and Bill's daughter (she could have been named for Krum, who is a friend of Fleur). Makes sense, since it was assumed that by marrying her would "really make him a part of the family." And I *like* the Albus Severus. Harry was honoring their memory. Nice touch. Classy. *laugh* Harry named his children after people who meant the world to him. I just wonder who was behind the names "Rose" and "Hugo." Hugo. Anyone else picturing Ron in the delivery room, looking at a newborn baby, saying "gee, he looks like a Hugo." haha. I wish we could learn more about their futures... but maybe Jo wants us to let them be doing what we want, since her stories about Harry have ended, our own stories are allowed to start, filling in the missing 19 years. I personally want to think that Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny all had a double wedding then went on a year long honeymoon. Possibly, with a stop at Disney World.

Luna, Luna... where is Luna. I hope she's writing the Quibbler, as a field reporter / researcher. I always thought she was going to end up with Neville.

Neville Longbottom is a rock star. Enough said.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:34 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Location: I don't know, but there'd better be chocolate. [art by Fiddelysquat]
I think I've got it--Rose and Hugo sound like very "Muggle" names, so one or both may be named for Hermione's parents. Didn't anyone else wonder about them? That was probably one of the hardest moments in the book for me to accept, when she was talking about modifying her parents' memories. True devotion to the cause, but...wow, you know? Wow.

"Oh, better far to live and die/Under the brave black flag I fly/Than play a sanctimonious part/With a pirate head and a pirate heart."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:42 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Moongewl wrote:
I think I've got it--Rose and Hugo sound like very "Muggle" names, so one or both may be named for Hermione's parents. Didn't anyone else wonder about them? That was probably one of the hardest moments in the book for me to accept, when she was talking about modifying her parents' memories. True devotion to the cause, but...wow, you know? Wow.

Wendell and Monica Wilkins? :P

I would've laughed so hard if Ron named a daughter Muriel.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:07 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: Harry's eyes

When Snape died he looked into Harry's eyes because he has Lily's eyes, and Snape loves Lily innit.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:33 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Matrinka wrote:
Well, there are more than a few of us Snape-supporters out there *points to signature.* Sure he was a git, but his heart was in the right place. I think it was important that Harry had Lily's eyes because they were the last thing Snape wanted to look at before he died. He wasn't looking at Harry in his last moments - he was looking at Lily's eyes. This caused him to pour all his memories out so that Harry could see how very much she meant to him. Also, it helped to clear Snape's name because Harry would know the truth about his actions. Because of the memories, Harry knew what he had to do to vanquish Voldemort.

The epilogue. Wow. Um... I'm happy for Harry. He got what he always wanted - a normal boring life with a family who loves him. He never wanted glory, just love. It's a nice ending for him. I'm sorry if a lot of people disagree, but the tragic-hero sacrificing himself, dying for the greater good, is an over used plot device. I'm glad Jo put her own twist on it by having him live BECAUSE he chose death. Although, I would have liked to have known what the heck was going on for some things. I assume that Andromeda raised Teddy Lupin because he didn't already have a bedroom in Harry's house.

That makes Harry's eyes make sense, but it seems like that was the most talked about thing for all 7 books, then it's not even mentioned other than a quick "look at me" at the end of book 7. I think it was written and discussed too much. It's a good explanation, and I'm fine with that being the reason why Harry's eyes were so important, but for pete's sake it seems like they were talked about more than the horcruxes!

I like your epilogue comments. :P I agree. :) I was getting annoyed with everyone who kept saying that Harry had to die, because that's what happens in tragic stories, etc. Why does a formula have to be followed, it's her story, she could write it how she wanted. :)

I hope my husband finishes the book soon... The past 2 nights I've had dreams about the book, and I'm so worried that I'm talking about who died or something in my sleep. I don't want to ruin it for him because I was talking in my sleep!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next