SHHH!!! Can you read? Want to prove it? Meet fellow book worms and discuss the literary brilliance of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
Topic locked

Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:36 pm

I think I started to read about 4ish. But I'm not certain, my mum read to me a lot :)

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:19 pm

I honestly can't remember, but the first book I read alone was either Watership Down or the Neverending Story at the age of 6. One year later I read the Lord of the Rings.

Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:06 pm

You read Watership Down at 6? I love that book, but I would probably have cried my eyes out at six and never have got over it!! (because I suddenly remembered that I did cry my eyes out except that was at like eleven! =P )

Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:57 pm

maniac wrote:You read Watership Down at 6? I love that book, but I would probably have cried my eyes out at six and never have got over it!! (because I suddenly remembered that I did cry my eyes out except that was at like eleven! =P )

I did cry my eyes out ç_ç I was so sad. But I loved it, it was my favourite book for years =)

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:32 am

I was 2 1/2-3..my bro was learning to read and i picked up a book and taught myself

Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:51 am

KAMiNix2 wrote:I was 2 1/2-3..my bro was learning to read and i picked up a book and taught myself

Hahahahaha. I'm sorry.. That's just.. amazing, hahaha.

Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:04 pm

Er, I guess maybe around 4ish? Twas a loooong time ago. :P

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:04 pm

I think my mom started teaching me around 5 or so, I know I didn't master it until half way through kindergarten. Of course, now you can't get me to stop ;)

Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:31 pm

My mum always read to me from when I was around two years old. I have two older siblings, and even back then I was always reading whatever they read, which led to my reading Redwall and Animorphs and whatnot around the age of four. Which was funny, because my mum didn't think I should be reading those books yet and so she always tried to hide them from me, so I ended up reading them in secret (in the closet :P).

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:48 pm

It was definitely before 6 years old, but I'm not sure if it was 4 or 5, though I'm leaning towards 5.

Thu May 17, 2007 7:24 pm

2 and a half. Ay-yup. ;)

Fri May 18, 2007 3:35 pm

Taught myself at age four.

Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:01 am

I guess I started to learn to read in preschool, so around age 3 - 4 (not quite sure, can't really remember). I believe my last year of preschool (4 - 5) would mark when I considered myself actually capable of reading.

I learned to read music when I was around 7, although I never really got good at it until I was around 14 - 15. But I'm sure that's not what you meant. XD

All's I know is that when I was in Kindergarten I was put into the "advanced" reading group (which was the blue coloured shelf) so I pretty much started reading those little kid chapter books around then.

Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:36 am

Whenever he could (busy work schedule), my dad would sit my sister and I in his lap and read to us from Tolkien. He ran his finger under the words as he read them. I remember being in my flannel nightie while he read the "Riddles in the Dark" chapter to us from The Hobbit.

I distinctly remember the words finally making sense when I was 3. It was this book with pictures about this boastful frog who bragged that he could jump across the whole river. When he was called on to live up to his bragging, he drowned.

I was reading chapter books by 4 and a half. Heck, I was a college reading level in 3rd grade. Dorky glasses, braces and all. I had virtually no friends, so I just read all day. I should horrify you with my grade school pictures one of these days.

I am so phenominally nerdy that I embarass myself sometimes. X(

Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:37 am

I learned at about 5. My parents almost never read to me or my sister, unfortunatley.But they do read to my little brother. Hmm....
Topic locked