SHHH!!! Can you read? Want to prove it? Meet fellow book worms and discuss the literary brilliance of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
Topic locked

Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:29 am

Hmm well i loved Guardians of time trilogy by Marieanne Curley, Pucker by Melanie Gideon, The daughters of the moon series, the midnighters and Peeps by scott westerfield!

Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:17 am

o i reli recomend the prestige by christopher priest. its also a movie! :lol:

Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:10 am

I just bought Haruki Murakami's The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, which was fantastical. I also heard that Kafka on the Shore is good, but I haven't found it in the library and I've got no spare change.

Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:26 pm

The Circle Trilogy, by Ted Dekker, and the various spin-oofs: Showdown, Saint, Skin, Siren, Angel, etc., and the Horde series.

They're all incredible. In. Cre. Di. Ble.

Reccomended reading?

Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:45 pm

What books would you reccomend to other PPTers and why?

For me it would have to be:

-Lets Get Lost by Sarra Manning (sp?)
Because it is a seriously amazing book. The ending was just...wow. It also really seems to make you think.

-Sophie's world by Jostein Gaarder
Because again, it is a truly amazing read. And has some pretty good facts in there. Also, again, it makes you think as it is based mainly around philosophy.

-Harry Potter by J.K.Rowling.
Of course this one was going to be in here. :D I don't think I need to explain why this is amazing.

There will probably be more later, but this is all I could think of, of the top of my head.

EDIT: Sorry about the other two posts (if they are still showing up) my computer has decided to act against me and takes every mouse click for that of three. :x

Re: Reccomended reading?

Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:19 am

If it comes to a YA novel, I have to recommend SE Hinton's "The Outsiders." The story is simply beautiful. I first read it over 15 years ago and it is still with me today. Not many books can make that claim. I also really like her books Tex and Taming the Star Runner as well.

For older readers, I strongly recommend Stephen King's "The Stand" and Harper Lee's "To Kill a Mockingbird."

For a funny read, I adore anything by Christopher Moore. I think "Lamb" is his best book... although I love his Pine Cove stories as well (Practical Demonkeeping, The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove, and The Stupidest Angel).

Charlaine Harris writes really fun vampire stories set in an alternate America.

Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:06 am

If you like crime fiction, you can't go wrong with Out by Natsuo Kirino. It's marvelous.
Also, Richard Bach's Jonathan Livingston Seagull is amazing.

Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:40 pm

JPod by Douglas Coupland should be mentioned for it's general style, but may not particulary enjoyable for younger readers. Story and narration are brilliant, although a bit untraditional. Either way, see the book's website.

Virtually any book by Terry Pratchett is great - get them all!

Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:40 pm

I reccomend The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas and Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank. Both are great books that I read two years ago.

Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:32 pm

I definitely recommend The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. It is an easy read, but the novel is beautiful.

Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:42 pm

reganlikewhoa wrote:I definitely recommend The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. It is an easy read, but the novel is beautiful.

ohh, thats the second time that book has been recomended to me. I still can't find it though. I've looked in two libraries, but can't be bothered to get it from amazon. >_>

I'd also now like to recomend:

Song Quest - by Katherine Roberts.
It really is a nice book, its part of a trilogy though, and I have only read this one. Still need to find the other two. >_>

Also

Noughts and crosses - by Malorie Blackman
Another trilogy, that is again truely amazing!

Re: Favorite authors, and book recommendations...

Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:23 am

R.A. Salvatore amazing fantasy books. All of the Halo books. The inheritance triliogy. And any of Brian Jaques books. Note his are mostly about rodents which for some reason when they are combined with swords and killing they get a lot more interesting.

Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:27 am

Definitely Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials Trilogy. :D
I'm also a big fan of Anthony Horwitz' The Gatekeepers series, just got the the third book (Nightrise) Saturday.

Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:37 pm

Shadow wrote:I reccomend The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

Agreed. Incredibly good book. I would recommend it to anyone.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:18 pm

I recomend The Blood of Flowers by Anita Amirezvanni.
Topic locked