Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Books That Made You Cry (Split #1)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:57 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Location: THE HEART OF DARKNESS. *ominous drums* Haha, just kidding, I'm stalking you. :D
Now, we all know the power books can hold over our emotions. So tell me- what books have reduced you to tears? Tears of happiness, sadness, frustration, laughter... Doesn't matter, though there's a rather large emphasis on the sad tears. :P

Me? None. No book has ever made me cry. Well, actually, there was this one I read when I was eight or nine, and a cat died and left the young cat all sad... =(

But since then, nada. I reserve my emotions for when I finish the book, though at tense/suspenseful/generally BIG moments I do sometimes scream (not very loudly, though) out of excitement/frustration/general OMG. IE in New Moon by Stephenie Meyer, when Edward misunderstood what was told to him and Bella and Alice were like OMG NO but he went off to do something super spoilery so I'll shut up now. ;)

can't find the sig from this set, so instead, you get a <3 .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:23 am 
PPT God
PPT God

The only book that I think that's made me cry in recent years (maybe 6-8 years) is The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. I'm not gonna go into details (mainly because it'd give too much away and some of the book isn't suitable for this forum), but the last few chapters of the book actually made me cry. I was very surprised because I never cry about happy things that happen in books but I guess this was an exception.

Speculation Central - Thinking about the future... Today!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:17 am 

yes kite runner was a sad one but for me "where a red fern grows" gets me everytime

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:27 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

I cry from books and movies all the time...rarely from happiness though (unlike my mother, who cries at extra happy points but less often from sad things). It'd be hard to name all the books that made me cry...lessee, a few of them that come to mind are Little Women, Ender's Shadow, and The Poisonwood Bible. I like to let myself get involved emotionally and let the author's intentions play out; if they wrote a particular part to be a heartwrencher, chances are I'll be right there with them. :)

And yes, I definitely remember crying when I read Where the Red Fern Grows. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:26 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

I cried when I first read Jane Eyre in the beginning part where her aunt is mean to her, and later when she was at the school. I rarely reread those parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:36 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

The last book (I'm terrible with names of individual books in series) in the His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman always makes me cry for ages. I'm a sucker for anything heroic and/or epic - Lord of the Rings, a certain part in Harry Potter 6, the end of Dune (Thufir Hawat's shining moment always gets me)... Wuthering Heights depresses me, but I usually don't actually cry. Watership Down and Plague Dogs by something Adams (or Adam something) made me cry a lot, I recall. It really doesn't take much to reduce me to tears over a book, I'm afraid... Odd, really, because I almost never cry about anything in real life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:36 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Othello nearly made me cry. One of his last speeches was so full of love and remorse it almost moved me to tears. Unfortunately, it ended before I could quite blink them out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:43 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Half Blood Prince.It even made me cry teh 25th time I read it.

Set by the amazing Kitten Medli.
Wanna see some of my writing? Click here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:31 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Order of the Phoenix made me cry every single time I read it. I actually woke my mom up at 4am hysterically crying the first time I read it :P And I even knew who was going to die, and I was still that hysterical. Oh boy..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:19 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

OotP made me cry too.Why were you reading at 4am?

Set by the amazing Kitten Medli.
Wanna see some of my writing? Click here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:35 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Location: THE HEART OF DARKNESS. *ominous drums* Haha, just kidding, I'm stalking you. :D
I'm assuming that was due to it being the first time she read it, and her probably being unable to put it down.

Which is the same for me with any book, heh.

On the subject of HBP... It didn't make me cry; instead, it made me extraordinarily frustrated, as I thought the vast majority of the book was written like an amateur piece of fanfiction- a bad one. So after I finished it, I was, in place of sobbing to myself, ranting to everyone I knew. :P

And since I last posted in this thread, I actually have found books that make me cry, or at least want to (still haven't actually cried over a book- go me, the Ice Queen). The Book Thief by Markus Zusak is one- wow. You'd have to be made of stone if that novel didn't make you want to bawl your eyes out at times. Also, How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff probably got me the closest to crying over a book since The Book Thief. Same with Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer. All fantastic novels, all horridly depressing.

One may ask why I read depressing books. Well, it's mainly 'cause those books are really well-written.

can't find the sig from this set, so instead, you get a <3 .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:29 am 
PPT God
PPT God

I don't know if I've ever actually cried while reading a book but White Oleander, The Lovely Bones, and My Sister's Keeper made me pretty sad. HBP was also morose.

"I'm not superstitious, but I'm a little stitious."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:13 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

erm...HBP, Series of unfortunate events (the first book and the begining, and the last book), Doll, Blue moon, Jane Eyre, Little Women, Lets get lost...

And there was this other book but I can't remember...

Post subject: Charlette's Web
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:37 am 

The only book that made me cry was Charlette's Web.Ok,I didn't really cry just a few tears but sad ending.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:49 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Location: New Jersey. The state we love to hate and hate to love.
Extremley Loud and Incredibly Close by Foer is the most recent book to make me cry.
It's about a genuis little boy whose father dies in the 9/11 terrorist attacks, but his father left behind a few secrets, so he goes off and tries to find the answers to a few of them. It's beautiful and devastating at the same time.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next