Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 12:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Best, Worst Books of 2006
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:43 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Location: THE HEART OF DARKNESS. *ominous drums* Haha, just kidding, I'm stalking you. :D
What are yours?

For me, the best were (in order):

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor
The Riddle by Alison Croggon (this book was actually published a few years ago, but only in the US this year, so...)

Admittedly, I have yet to read many of the books I'd anxiously anticipated all year, especially Forging the Sword by Hilari Bell, so when I get around to doing so, I'll add them here if I think they were as utterly mind-blowing as I think they will be. :P

But for now, those three. The Book Thief I knew was supposed to be good, but it exceeded my expectations in all ways- I was on the verge of tears while reading some parts, and that never happens to me, ever. This book is astounding, so READ IT.

The Looking Glass Wars... that was the best fantasy novel I've read in a while. Seriously. Really good. Really, really, really good. Blows everything out of the water. Just an overall fantastic book. It's another of the alternate universe of a classic book stories, and this one is for Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Read it. Get your hands on this book as quickly as possible, it's absolutely amazing.

The Riddle: after the prequel to this (The Naming) was recommended to me by Lillie, I was on the hunt. I finally found it (and with that, realized the reason I hadn't been able to find it in the first place was that it hadn't been published in the US at that point), and after reading that, I waited impatiently for the sequel. Well, it's now out here, so at this point I'm waiting impatiently for the next book- or, instead, the book after that, as I found out that the book after this one, The Crow, is more of a parallel book to The Riddle. In it, the story of the main character's younger brother's life during the time span of The Riddle is told.

Now, I hate to do this, but...

Worst book of 2006 (not books, as this is the only really bad one I've read):

The Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

More of a disappointment that actually being horrible (though it was fairly close), but still, it definitely counts. My god. I waited ages for this to be released, and upon reading it, I discover the author had been kidnapped and replaced with someone who decided to perform character brain transplants. Seriously, what was with that book? The plot was all over the place, the characters were, well, out of character... The entire thing reeked of a poorly-written fanfic. Minerva was a complete Mary Sue! The next (last) book had better be fantastic.

can't find the sig from this set, so instead, you get a <3 .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:40 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Terrier by Tamora Pierce

...ok, I haven't actually read it yet :P But it's by Tamora Pierce, and therefore must be good. My stupid library doesn't have it yet :( (it's not actually stupid, very nice really, but it bugs me that they still don't have it)

And ooh, I've read stuff by Hilari Bell before. I didn't know she had a new book out. I'll have to try to find it.

<3 Laq

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:57 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Location: THE HEART OF DARKNESS. *ominous drums* Haha, just kidding, I'm stalking you. :D
My sister bought it at a book signing near our house (she conveniently didn't tell me that this book signing was going to happen) and so she now has a signed copy of Terrier. I want to read it, but she STILL hasn't finished it (she got it the week it came out!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:05 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Quote:

I have to agree with you. NONE of the characters were, well in character. All of a sudden they got really different that what i was used to in his books. I waited for so long to read it, and it turns out to be totally predictable.

For the love of God, Montresor!
Yes, for the love of God!
http://www.zooreka.com/photo-139276.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:39 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

save_the _endangered_anim wrote:
Quote:

I have to agree with you. NONE of the characters were, well in character. All of a sudden they got really different that what i was used to in his books. I waited for so long to read it, and it turns out to be totally predictable.

I've got to quote you on this - Lost Colony was the biggest disappointment of the year. I bet I could write better fic than that.

Best book, I think I'll go with Thud! by Terry Pratchett (though it's from 2005, I couldn't get it earlier :P)

Set by Pixa <3 || WWW for previous sets || T-Shirts gallery
Support Roo Island!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:27 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

The End by Lemony Snicket was really good, IMO... The first of it was sort of wonky, but it worked out.

I read most of Meg Cabot's books that came out last year, I read the Size 12 and 14 books... And I looooooooooooved How to Be Popular.

President of the Sugarinii/Tasha fan club.
Sugarinii's soulmate... since 1991!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:45 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

I officially nominate Empire by Orson Scott Card as the best book, not just of 2006, but of this universe, any alternate endings to this universe, and any alternate beginnings. And the turtle holding it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:45 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

I loved the second installment of anthony horowitz's 'power of five' collection. Evil star was packed with mystery, excitement and seemed believable, although it was cleary unbelievable :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:11 pm 
PPT Baby
PPT Baby

New Moon by Stephenie Meyer, the sequel to Twilight (also amazing). I read it, went to sleep, woke up and read it again. Meanwhile I cried at least 5 times. It's seriously the best book I've ever read. And I read a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:25 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

ochazuke=yummy wrote:
New Moon by Stephenie Meyer, the sequel to Twilight (also amazing). I read it, went to sleep, woke up and read it again. Meanwhile I cried at least 5 times. It's seriously the best book I've ever read. And I read a lot.

New Moon WAS amazing. After finishing it, I couldn't stop thinking about it for a few weeks. I can't wait for the next book! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:56 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

(I always get a shock when I see my name in someone else's post and realize I might never have known about it. It's usually not a bad shock though. :P)

I haven't got a worst book of 2006 since I hardly read books in publishing order, but continuing on from Xandra, The Crow by Alison Croggon should be a contender for a good book of 2006. I didn't enjoy The Riddle quite as much as I did The Gift (or The Naming, as it's known in the USA), but The Crow more than made up for it. It was a powerful, dramatic and incredibly intense book. Croggon doesn't bother to patronize her readers by skimming over difficult themes - she goes right into them. I'm sure that some people might not like the war and violence present in it, but they are well-handled, and I'm of that school of thought which believes you can't hide young people away from these things forever. Young people are entirely aware of what is happening around the world (if not, shame on them), and they are also more capable of dealing with such problems in literature than adults give credit for.

I'm looking forward to The Singing, the last installment to the series, due to come out next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:34 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I waaaant The Crow soooo badly, but I don't even know if there's a US publication date for it yet. I now fully understand how irritated people outside the US are at the different release dates for TV shows and books that originate here. :(

Speaking of YA books with difficult themes such as war/violence, How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff is a really good example of this (okay, so maybe not quite as much so as other books, but still)- the main character is sent by her father and pregnant stepmother from NYC to the English countryside, but only a short while after she arrives, the UK is invaded, and war breaks out. It's a fantastic book (it won the 2005 Printz award), and I highly recommend it to anyone interested in YA literature. :)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]