Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 5:37 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mystery book suggestions
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:07 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I'm trying to figure out what to get my dad for Christmas. He likes mystery books, so I thought that might be a good idea. The only mysteries I've read are the ones my family has given me. I know he liked the Hannibal Lector books, but I've already given him those. He liked some Mary Higgins Clark, too. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, I might get my gram a mystery, too. She loves Alfred Hitchcock. She doesn't like swearing or "adult situations" in her books, though, so if you suggest something, please mention if you remember it having either of those. lol

Thank you very much! :)

Image Image
<3 Divas rock! Click to join. <3

Post subject: Re: Mystery book suggestions
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:05 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Location: Watching little birds fly kamikaze missions into the walls.
I think Dean Koontz is a pretty good author. I think he's more in the horror genre, like Stephen King, but a lot of his books are somewhat mysterious too. There's not like a detective or anything though. Usually some fantasy/sci-fi involved as well.

It was an honor serving you PPT. I will miss you.
Click here to join my new werewolf forum!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:51 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Agatha Christie has some classics which I'm sure everyone's read by now...but that's still no reason to give one of them (namely Murder on the Orient Express, Death on the Nile, and And Then There Were None) anyway!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:41 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

If she has not read them already your grandmother might like the Nero Wolfe books by Rex Stout. There are also cozy writers like Dorothy Cannell and Mary Daheim. I don't remember any bad language in either of those authors books. For your dad maybe Michael Connelly.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:44 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

If he's into Science (and I really do mean that) Some of Stephen Baxter's books could be classed as mystery.
Errr, off hand, the entire Manifold series (Space, Time, Origin, Phase Space) have a mystery element to them, but it's less "Whodunnit" as "Ultimate questions of human existence in the Universe" so I dunno?

Language may be an issue... The main character in those books (Same person different realities) is a bit of a "loveable rogue".
Actually, avoid Phase space, he gets quite... descriptive, about some Neanderthal rituals.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]