SHHH!!! Can you read? Want to prove it? Meet fellow book worms and discuss the literary brilliance of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
Topic locked

Re: What are YOU reading today!? Tell us!!!!

Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:30 am

The Catcher in the Rye. I liked Gatsby better.

Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:59 am

Catch 22

Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:28 am

A Wild Sheep Chase - Haruki Murakami

Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:43 pm

I just finished The Heart of Stars by Kate Forsyth a few days ago, but I don't have anything new to read yet. Hopefully with Christmas being tomorrow, I'll be getting to read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by JK Rowling or A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini.

Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:22 pm

Finishing off the last Twilight book, Breaking Dawn is it?
Then I'm gonna read either World War Z, The Zombie Survival Guide, Mechanicum (Book...9 or so, of the Horus Heresy series) Or indeed, Pratchets Carpe Jugulum.

I have lots of books to keep me busy for the meantime :)

Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:44 pm

Just finished A Ridiculously Cute Vampire Story "Secret Vampire" (Night World No.1) by L. J. Smith.

Just started "The Magicians' Guild" by Trudi Canavan. It's SO good and I'm only on th first chapter. XD

Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:30 pm

"The Warrior Heir" by Cinda Williams Chima

A book I got for Christmas.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:31 am

Helena wrote:Just started "The Magicians' Guild" by Trudi Canavan. It's SO good and I'm only on th first chapter. XD

Trudi Canavan = win. I hope I can get "Voice of the Gods" from the library this week, had them reserve it for me.

The last books I read were "The Blade itself" by Joe Abercrombie, then "Lords and Ladies" and "Men at Arms" (yes, I am another Pratchett fan xD)
I am currently reading "The Iron Chain" by Steve Cockayne. That trilogy doesn't seem to have a plot so far, but it still seems to fascinate me for some reason.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:54 am

Forever Princess.
Yeah, I....I have no shame.

Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:11 pm

Coraline in preparation for the movie. Loving it!

Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:57 pm

Himmelsdemon wrote:Trudi Canavan = win. I hope I can get "Voice of the Gods" from the library this week, had them reserve it for me.

Yeah, I want to get that series, too. I just finished The Novice and The High Lord. <3
...I think I died somewhere during The High Lord.
Akkarin's evil! No he isn't! Yes he is! No he isn't! Sonea's in love with him! No she isn't! Yes she is! Rothen died! No he didn't! Yes he did! No, he didn't!
-_-

Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:09 pm

I just finished the Time Paradox (Artemis Fowl 6, I believe). It was okay. Usually, the only way I can tolerate Colfer's scientific explanations is because they're laughable (seriously, something the size of a large child vibrates fast enough to be imperceptible to the human eye? Did he even consider the amount of displacement required for that theory to hold water?), but he really didn't even try to explain the science this time -- which is just fine with me.

I groaned when good ol' Opal showed up, though -- it was so predictable, and remained so clear through to the end.

Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:14 am

Currently going back to American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Yeah, I still haven't finished it. But I actually bought a copy last month in the hopes that would motivate me to get past page 150 or whatever- may have worked, as I am very much determined to finish this book.

And I just finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Excellent, though I have to admit I now think there's something wrong with me, as I didn't think it was THAT depressing. ...Not even that scene with the newborn.

Ski wrote:A Wild Sheep Chase - Haruki Murakami

I keep trying to read that- I'll check it out of the library, read a few chapters, put it down, then never get back to it. It's quite tragic, as I really do want to finish it, yet I've done this at least 4 or 5 times.

Asthaloth wrote:Finishing off the last Twilight book, Breaking Dawn is it?
Then I'm gonna read either World War Z, The Zombie Survival Guide, Mechanicum (Book...9 or so, of the Horus Heresy series) Or indeed, Pratchets Carpe Jugulum.

I have lots of books to keep me busy for the meantime :)

WORLD WAR Z. Seriously. It is astonishing how good that book is. I read it going 'hehe, it's another book by the guy who did Zombie Survival Guide, I want to be mildly entertained and have a bigger base for my geekiness' but then about a chapter in switched over to 'THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST AWESOME BOOKS EVER'. It's actually one of my favorite books at this point, haha. :oops:

Seriously, it's amazing. (and I don't mean amazing as in 'HAHAHA GEEKINESS IS SO GREAT LET'S DO GEEK TALK ABOUT ZOMBIES BECAUSE WE ARE IRONIC AND THUS COOL')

Make sure you have a pretty clear slot of time to read it, though, as I basically had to read it in one sitting. I couldn't put it down, and other people I know had the same 'problem'.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:25 am

I'm re-reading The Two Towers.

It has been a few years since my last re-read. Nothing else screamed their way off the shelf to me. Plus, a good substitute while on another Catch 22 hiatus. xD

Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:50 pm

A Midsummer Nights Dream... well really I'm re-learning some of the speeches.

Also a monologue book called Ye Cannae Win by Janet Paisley, written in my dialect. Pretty awesome stuff.
Topic locked