SHHH!!! Can you read? Want to prove it? Meet fellow book worms and discuss the literary brilliance of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
Topic locked

Re: What are YOU reading today!? Tell us!!!!

Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:47 am

Hey is 'The Art of War' any good? I've been meaning to pick up a copy for a very long time.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:53 am

It's very illuminating. While Sun Tzu gives many concepts very odd titles (meant to fit in to Eastern concepts), they make sense. His tactics are mostly common sense, but he emphasizes that it's being able to keep as many concepts in your battle plan as possible that makes one a great tactician. While most of his ideas don't really apply anymore, due to fights being done at farther distance via missiles and guns, it's still really cool.

Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:39 pm

Pittbunny wrote:Just went through Sun Tzu's "The Art of War" and Tamora Pierce's "Melting Stones". Melting Stones is a pretty nice read, it's the first time that Tamora Pierce narrates in the first person. Unfortunately there's a gaping hole of background information that she still hasn't addressed about the war predating the book, but that's to come in a later extension of the series.

Ah, it's a pity you can barely get the "The Circle Opens" series here. I read the first three parts of "The Circle of Magic" and was quite fascinated by them.

Currently reading: Magic or Madness Trilogy by Justine Larbalestier.

Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:31 pm

The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller

I'm a sucker for graphic novels :P

Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:41 pm

They're making us read In Chancery, by John Galsworthy.
And wow, do I hate it. You know a book just isn't working for you when not even something as convenient as audio books can help you get through it without falling asleep.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:02 pm

Himmelsdemon wrote:Ah, it's a pity you can barely get the "The Circle Opens" series here. I read the first three parts of "The Circle of Magic" and was quite fascinated by them.

Currently reading: Magic or Madness Trilogy by Justine Larbalestier.

Have you tried online bookstores? Borders should have the sets in stock..

Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:16 am

I just finished 'The Hobbit' and now I'm onto 'The Similarion' which is apparently very good but I the start is a little bit slow.

Many people tell me it is amazing, however, so I'm expecting it to pick up soon enough.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:32 pm

I'm reading a good amount right now.
-Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
-The Jungle by Upton Sinclair
-Maximum Ride - The Final Warning by James Patterson
-A House Called Awful End by Philip Ardagh (I'm reading this series with my younger brothers)
-Dragons in the Water by Madeleine L'Engle (Second time reading it, but it is fantastic)

I like to throw in a couple of easy reads when I am going through something like Les Mis, otherwise I go insane.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:06 pm

fetafishie wrote:-The Jungle by Upton Sinclair

If it's your first time, I suggest not eating too heavy on meat products while you go through it. Just a suggestion.

Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:02 pm

Started reading The Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce for my English class.

On the side, I've started The Shining by Stephen King. I've been meaning to read a Stephen King novel in general for a while, and I was at Urban Outfitters over the weekend and the cover was just so cool, and it was on SALE for $1.90 and I am a sucker for cheap books...

3lla wrote:The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller

I'm a sucker for graphic novels :P

What did/do you think? I enjoyed reading it, and there were definitely fist-pumping "HELL YES" moments, but at the same time, I felt slightly disconnected. I dunno, it's probably more to do with my not being heavily into the Batman mythology- I've seen the newest movies and I've read DKR as well as some Wikipedia articles, ha, but aside from that...

Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:23 am

I'm reading the Twilight series, I've been sucked in...

Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:54 pm

Twilight eh? I actually really enjoyed reading the series. The only criticism I would have is that everything is so neatly wrapped up... I want more... gore!!

Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:41 am

I'm on Eclipse on the Twilight series... I've not had much time for reading, so it's quite nice to start off with something light.

Kym, if you're looking for gore and Vampires, I'd go for Sunshine by Robin McKinley... plenty gore - I read it years ago... and trust me... it stuck in my brain.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:53 am

I'm not sure if I want something that will stick that much to my brain Iya!!

I have this huge pile of books next to my bed that I need to read. People like to give me books as presents it seems.

Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:42 pm

C.S. Lewis' "A Grief Observed", for my thanatology course.
Topic locked