Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:38 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

I read a good book the other day. It's a pretty old one. It's called "No One Here Gets Out Alive". I dont think anyone would like it but I loved it.
It got good reviews in the 80's. It's a biography on Jim Morrison. He was an amazing singer and frontman (The Doors). It talked about almost everything bout him. From when he was born to when he died (or may have died o_O ). No one is sure that he died the way the people said. Jim always said he was ending his life the way he wanted to. He said he was gonna move to Africa and be an explorer. The public couldn't get any more information because his wife died 3 years later. It would be cool if he was alive. I dought it though. Anyone who likes Classic Rock should read this. It even talks about him rebelling against tv censors on The Ed Sullivan Show :roflol: .

Last edited by lechuck333 on Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:48 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Location: Outside on your boulevarde scaring small children. Um... or in Illinois.
SpiraLethe wrote:
Kugetsu wrote:
I don't read very often, but the most recent book I read was "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" by Lu Kuan-chung (no its not a romance). You kind of have to be interested in ancient China and war to really get into it though. It's my favorite book, but because I only read in my study hall class, it took me a semester to read the first book of it...

My mother has it in Chinese. I'm pretty sure it's her favourite novel as well.

It's a great book, very complicated, but if you can understand it's addicting.

CLICK IT!
Thanks to Laq. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:35 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Kugetsu wrote:
SpiraLethe wrote:
Kugetsu wrote:
I don't read very often, but the most recent book I read was "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" by Lu Kuan-chung (no its not a romance). You kind of have to be interested in ancient China and war to really get into it though. It's my favorite book, but because I only read in my study hall class, it took me a semester to read the first book of it...

My mother has it in Chinese. I'm pretty sure it's her favourite novel as well.

It's a great book, very complicated, but if you can understand it's addicting.

I've seen the Chinese television series, made exactly like the book and both my parents are into Chinese history. :)

Don't be afraid to see the truth, even if no one wants you to. Be yourself and not a fool. Don't ever be afraid to speak your mind and listen to criticism. Dissent is keeps our country progressive and willingness to challenge yourself is what keeps yourself ever evolving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:13 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

I read Tall Thin and Blonde by Dyan Sheldon the other day. It was fairly enjoyable. Predictable, but enjoyable. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:01 pm 

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood. The plot: Snowman, possibly the last human alive, shares a grim post-apocalypse world with the genetically altered Children of Crake. It was very very good at the beginning, but after a while you get tired of the not-subtle-enough criticism of modern society, and how our penchant for violence, lust, and technology combined with a lack of respect for nature will lead to a very very painful messy end to humanity.

I'm currently reading The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud. The plot (that I've read so far): magician's apprentice Nathaniel attempts to get sweet revenge on his powerful enemy Simon Lovelace (cheesiest name ever) by calling up the help of Bartimaeus the demon...of course, everything gets out of hand, and major trouble ensues. At first this book seems to be ripping off Harry Potter. Nathaniel is a young, pale, scrawny, dark-haired student of magic with an unhappy childhood. The setting is modern-day England, only with magic. See the similarities? But it's actually a good book--thanks to Bartimaeus's hilarious narration for half the book and also the fact that there's no good vs evil conflict. It's more like not-evil-but-getting-there vs really really evil. And Nathaniel's so adorable...in an arrogant, ruthless, vindictive way. I want to read a Harry Potter/Amulet crossover fanfic! ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:40 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

I'm reading a book called The Da Vinci Code at the moment...although, while not for anyone of a strictly devout Christian mind, it's a good read for anyone with a wider view. Almost every chapter is a cliff hanger, and the author, Dan Brown, writes simply and eloquently, considering he's writing a theological and symbolistic novel.

Just finished reading The Last Hero by Terry Pratchett, which was probably the best of his works I've read yet. Even if you haven't read any of his Discworld series before, this book is a charming introduction, full of his ecclectic humour at it's best.

O_o I sound like a book critic.

:evil:

otherwise known as the one who left PPT...and now lurks. *evil laughter*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:06 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

auriya wrote:
Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood. The plot: Snowman, possibly the last human alive, shares a grim post-apocalypse world with the genetically altered Children of Crake. It was very very good at the beginning, but after a while you get tired of the not-subtle-enough criticism of modern society, and how our penchant for violence, lust, and technology combined with a lack of respect for nature will lead to a very very painful messy end to humanity.

That book rules. Read it people. Or read anything by Margaret Atwood. She also rules. Well, it needed to be said. *sneaks out*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:26 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Oooo! I remember another! It's Trolls or The Troll or something. Something to do with Trolls. But it rocked my socks off, that's for sure. ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:45 am 

I just finished A Tree grows in Brooklyn.
It's sad sometimes but it is an enjoyable read.
It's one of my favorite books <3

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away, and you have their shoes too.
Don't Support Greyhound Racing!

Wishlist: Lupe Transmogrification Potion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:12 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Does anyone here like Tom Clancy? I've read everyone of his books.

Thats a real snaggle-toothed needlepoint jalopeno! A truly strawberried television!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:41 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

I've just finished reading Chuck Palahniuk's Non-Fiction. It wasn't bad, but nowhere near as good as his other books.

Just started Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh, so far so good. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:53 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

I started and finished Locked Inside by Nancy Werlin yesterday. Good, but quite odd. But still reasonably good. :)

AlligatorHater wrote:
I've just finished reading Chuck Palahniuk's Non-Fiction. It wasn't bad, but nowhere near as good as his other books.

Just started Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh, so far so good. :)

Trainspotting is v. good. (Bridget Jones moment.) ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:47 am 
PPT God
PPT God

auriya wrote:
Oryx and Crake
I'm currently reading The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud. The plot (that I've read so far): magician's apprentice Nathaniel attempts to get sweet revenge on his powerful enemy Simon Lovelace (cheesiest name ever) by calling up the help of Bartimaeus the demon...of course, everything gets out of hand, and major trouble ensues. At first this book seems to be ripping off Harry Potter. Nathaniel is a young, pale, scrawny, dark-haired student of magic with an unhappy childhood. The setting is modern-day England, only with magic. See the similarities? But it's actually a good book--thanks to Bartimaeus's hilarious narration for half the book and also the fact that there's no good vs evil conflict. It's more like not-evil-but-getting-there vs really really evil. And Nathaniel's so adorable...in an arrogant, ruthless, vindictive way. I want to read a Harry Potter/Amulet crossover fanfic! ^_^

Ah, I was just going to post that I had just finished it yesterday. I'd say it was a good book if it weren't for the fact that the main characters were a tad bit too annoying to me. Nathaniel was too arrogant for his own good, and Bartimaeus more so but with more sarcastic remarks. You get used to the footnotes after a while but I thought Bartimaeus's (consequently the author's) purpose for using them sounded more like an excuse than an explanation. I lost my place more than once because of them. I'm hoping the characters will grow a bit more in the upcoming books. But other than that I enjoyed it. If I didn't like it I'd honestly toss it on the floor, promise myself I'd get back to it, then never at it again.

And its not like Harry Potter at all in my opinion. Magicians + England + Lanky unnoticed boy turned hero does not always = Harry Potter :P

Last edited by CrewWolf on Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:54 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

just finished hitchhikers guide to the galaxy (finally found my bound collection - lost them last year, where in the cupboard for some reason :roll: ) and started the restauraunt at the end of the universe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:45 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Location: New Zealand Weapon: HaaH Sword Species: Human Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
I reading a novel by Ben Elton, so far there are already two people stalking the main character and its already full of humour and bad American/British relations.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next