SHHH!!! Can you read? Want to prove it? Meet fellow book worms and discuss the literary brilliance of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
Topic locked

Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:05 pm

Alisquid wrote:
Dragonfire wrote:1. Eragon- Christopher Paolini
2. The White Dragon- Anne McCaffrey
3. All LOTR Books: J.R.R. Tolkien
4. All HP Books: J.K. Rowling
5. Rest of DRoP Books: Anne McCaffrey

I love DRoP, but they aren't in my top five. They come in 6th, though.

Anyway, why does she get 9 firelizards and I get none? I want one!

Heck, I'd rather have a dragon. Especially a white one. *drifts off*

Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:07 pm

Crescendo wrote:
The Fifth Marauder wrote:Most of mine are series...

The Giver, by Lois Lowry. Well written book. I really enjoyed discussing it in class. I was a little disappointed with the ending, but I understand why she wrote it that way.

Wow, I can't believe I forgot that one! That's one of my all-time favorites, and the rest of Lois Lowry's books are fantastic too. I couldn't put any of them down.

I've read Gathering Blue, but I haven't gotten a hold of the sequel (not really a sequel, but you know..), the Messenger, which is supposed to tie together The Giver and Gathering Blue. I heard it was rather depressing, but I still want to read it.

Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:02 am

The Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer These books were so fun to read...I read the last one in 5 hours it was so good and sad. If you're not familiar with the series, it's about a criminal mastermind who nearly starts inter-species wars, saves the fairy people and the world. Oh did I mention he's 13 years old?

The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling Anyone who doesn't like these is delusional I tell you. Who can't like Harry Potter?!

Vampires- A collection of stories by someone This book has 13 different short stories about vampires. Very interesting and got me a detention.

The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot I can only say the first one as it's the only one I've read. But the book was good...another one that almost got me a detention. I've read it about 5 times, including at my great grandmother's funeral 0.o

The Wish List by Eoin Colfer This is a very interesting book about a girl who dies; she's not good enough for heaven and too good for hell. So she has to help the man she almost killed before she died complete his wish list. Meanwhile bounty hunters from hell are trying to keep her from heaven. Confusing, but a good read.

Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:51 am

Lets see...in no particular order:

Currently

[Assasin Quest Trilogy
Ship of Magic Trilogy
Fools Trilogy] all three by Robin Hobb)

The Discworld Books by Terry Pratchett

Hitchikers Guide books

Foundation by Issac Asimov

His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman.

I've sorta gone for five favourtie series.

Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:08 am

Mine are more like favourite authors than favourite books... I like certain authors better than others.

Louis Lowry: <u>The Giver</u>, <u>Gathering Blue</u> and the sequel to GB, <u>the Messenger</u> (yes, 'Messenger is quite depressing, but it's really good, too. :D )

Phillip Pullman: <u>His Dark Materials</u> trilogy

Garth Nix: the <u>Abhorsen</u> trilogy, and <u>The Keys to the Kingdom</u> series

Douglas Adams: <u>The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe</u> series

Hilari Bell (she's a mostly unknown author, but her books are amazing): <u>Goblin Wood</u> and <u>The Book of Sorahb</u> series (second book comes out next month!)

No, I haven't included the Harry Potter books. Why? I may be unbelievably obsessed, but they're overrated. Brilliant, yet. Incredibly well-written, no. I do have a great deal of respect for Joanne Rowling (Kathleen isn't part of her name- only her pen name), but she isn't Tolkien or Lowry or Adams, y'know?

(Another great writer would be Jonathon Stroud, author of the <u>Bartimaeus</u> trilogy... Haven't included him in my list only because he's not quite as good as the authors listed) (Yet another author would be Jeanne DuPrau, creator and author of the two-book series of <u>The City of Ember</u> and <u>The People of Sparks</u>. Not an amazing author, but her works are spellbinding. I couldn't put down either book when reading them.)

Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:20 am

Alice in wonderland/Alice through the looking glass : Lewis Carroll
Chronicles of Narnia: C.S Lewis
The wasp factory: Iain Banks
Watership down: Richard Adams
The magic faraway tree: Enid Blyton

I'm a big kid hehe

Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:19 pm

I'm going to have to go with authors:

The Memory, Sorrow and Thorn Trilogy by Tad Williams

The DRoP Series by Anne Mcaffrey

War of the Flowers by Tad Williams

And some other random books that I can't remember the names of, either trashy novels, or crime-thrillers.

Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:07 pm

Righto, in no particular order:

1. Invisible Monsters - Chuck Palahniuk. He's an awesome writer, my favourite author, and the story has several twists. It is told perfectly, with lines thrown in that will stop you in your tracks and make you think. It's a mature book and deals with issues that are not for the young. (16+)

2. The Dice Man - Luke Rhinehart. Very different to Chuck Palahniuk, but still a very interesting book. A bored psycologist starts rolling dice to decide how to live his life. Again, a mature book, dealing with issues not appropiate for young eyes, but definately a good book well worth reading. (16+)

3. Fluke - James Herbert. Very unlike what James Herbert usually writes, a very good story well told. Definately worth a read if you own a dog as it will make you view your pets differently. (12+)

4. Choke - Chuck Palahniuk. Another mature book. It's a great read, and CP's writing style is very unique. The story is told well, and there are some memorable scenes. (16+)

5. Trainspotting - Irvine Welsh. Again, deals with mature issues. Very well told and an interesting insight into the world of drugs and users/abusers. A well-told story. (16+)

Well, I guess thats my top 5, unfortunately not enough room to mention: Fight Club (Chuck Palahniuk), House of Leaves (Mark Z. Danielewski), Mysterious Stranger (David Blaine), Ordinary People (Osbourne Family)

Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:18 pm

floella_de_ville wrote:Alice in wonderland/Alice through the looking glass : Lewis Carroll

I'm a big kid hehe

I can't believe I forgot the Chronicals of Narnia. I heard they are making new movies. Wait what does DRoP stand for.

Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:21 pm

Raiu wrote:
floella_de_ville wrote:Alice in wonderland/Alice through the looking glass : Lewis Carroll

I'm a big kid hehe

I can't believe I forgot the Chronicals of Narnia. I heard they are making new movies. Wait what does DRoP stand for.

Dragonriders of Pern, a brilliant series, read it now...reeeeaaaddd :D ! xD

Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:18 pm

1. The Light Fantastic (Terry Pratchet)
2. Eragon (by someone incredibly hard to spell)
3. Foundation (Asimov)
4. The songs of distant earth (C. Clarke)
5. Harry Potter and the Prizoner of Azkaban.

Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:39 pm

Well, there are many series that I like, so I'll just count them as one book, unless I only like one or two books from the series. Anyway, on to my list:

1. Ender's Game
2. Ender's Shadow
3. The Wheel of Time series
4. Harry Potter series
5. Can't think of a fifth at the moment. :P

Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:44 pm

:-/ Not sure, but Harry Potter ranks up there.

And I think ARing of Endless Light was Madeline L'Engle.

Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:11 pm

Ah, Spira, you're after my heart.

My favorites, of any kind, change constantly. Although, now that I think about it, I have pretty much had the same top five books for the last year or so. I suppose this means I need to start reading more. ;P

Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett
The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis
Choke by Chuck Palahniuk
The Hogfather by Terry Pratchett {This is actually a book froma large series he wrote called Discworld, but I have read very few of them. However, the title of the book caught my eye and I just had to read it.}
House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

Oh, and two random books that I loved when I was younger, as well as now.

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
The Problem with Pulcifer by Florence Parry Heide

Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:26 pm

robot wrote:Ah, Spira, you're after my heart.

You mean I don't have it already? :P

I heard Choke is really good from a friend. I need to read The Little Prince.

Hunter Lupe wrote:5. Harry Potter and the Prizoner of Azkaban.

Undoubtedly the best of the series.
Topic locked