SHHH!!! Can you read? Want to prove it? Meet fellow book worms and discuss the literary brilliance of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
Topic locked

The Bartimaeus Trilogy (anyone read it?)

Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:59 pm

The first book, The Amulet of Samarkand, had been one of my favorite books since I picked it up at a local Barnes and Noble a few months ago. My favorite parts are the chapters from Bartimaeus's point of view. Especially his footnotes. :roflol:

Last week I found that my Barnes and Noble stocked early copies of the second book, The Golem's Eye, which is due for release in September. So I've read it already. I found it almost as good as the first, and it made for a pleasing read. There were less chapters from the POV of Bartimaeus, and a new POV: Kitty, who is of the Resistance.

If you haven't read these two books yet, I recommend you pick up a copy.

Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:16 am

Oooh!

*Waves hand around*

I love that series! I haven't read the second book yet, but I own and have read (twice) the first.

Jonathan Stroud is an amazing author, IMO. :D

Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:40 am

What's the series about? And what is the correct way to pronounce the name? o_O

Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:22 am

I would assume its pronounce Baa-tee-mous.

I love the first book, and this is good new to hear the second is coming out, I thought it might end up as one of those trilogies never completed. :)

Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:20 am

Oooh, oooh! According to Amazon, <u>The Golem's Eye</u> is already for sale! Though, of course, it does say that it, uh, was released September 1, 2004. xP

halfbakedbliss wrote:What's the series about? And what is the correct way to pronounce the name? o_O

Eh. I pronounce it 'Bar-tih-may-us', but that's probably wrong. :P

Presenting a thrilling new voice in children's literature-a witty, gripping adventure story featuring a boy and his not-so-tame djinni. Nathaniel is a young magician's apprentice, taking his first lessons in the arts of magic. But when a devious hotshot wizard named Simon Lovelace ruthlessly humiliates Nathaniel in front of everyone he knows, Nathaniel decides to kick up his education a few notches and show Lovelace who's boss. With revenge on his mind, he masters one of the toughest spells of all: summoning the all-powerful djinni, Bartimaeus. But summoning Bartimaeus and controlling him are two different things entirely, and when Nathaniel sends the djinni out to steal the powerful Amulet of Samarkand, Nathaniel finds himself caught up in a whirlwind of magical espionage, murder, blackmail, and revolt. Set in a modern-day London spiced with magicians and mayhem, this extraordinary, funny, pitch-perfect thriller will dazzle the myriad fans of Artemis Fowl and the His Dark Materials trilogy. And with the rights sold in more than a dozen countries, and a major motion picture in the works, the Bartimaeus trilogy is on the fast track to becoming a classic.

Second book...

The second adventure in the Bartimaeus trilogy finds our young apprentice magician Nathaniel working his way up the ranks of the government, when crisis hits. A seemingly invulnerable clay golem is making random attacks on London. Nathaniel and the all-powerful, totally irreverent djinni, Bartimaeus, must travel to Prague to discover the source of the golem's power. In the ensuing chaos, readers will chase a dancing skeleton across London's skyline, encounter the horror of the dreaded Night Police, witness a daring kidnapping, and enter the Machiavellian world of the magician's government. Eventually, Nathaniel and Bartimaeus have to go head to head with the fearsome golem before the surprise identity of his master is finally revealed.

*Stares at the 'and a major motion picture in the works' in the book description of AoS*

SQUEE.

Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:32 pm

Major motion picture?? :o I can't wait!

I pronounce the name as 'Bar-tih-may-us' as well... I wonder if it's wrong. *goes to look it up somewhere*

Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:57 pm

u loved the first book, ill read the 2nd book whenever it comes in our school library. ;)

Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:04 pm

oh goody, i might go get that book

Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:09 am

i pronounce it the way you do alex, its just the way i would like it to sound as well, :P so if its wrong, i don't care! i'll keep on saying it that way :P

i've seen the second book in store in my local store in the city, the library had the first one, and i loved reading from Bartimaeus's pov. the bits dropped in the first book about the resistance were confusing though, i guess i'll have to read the second to make much sense of them.

Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:20 am

OOO! The 2nd book is out??? Yay!! I love these books.
Btw, I pronounce it like Bar-ti-me-us. But I suck at pronunciations.

Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:28 am

Yes! I loved the Amulet. Can't wait for the next one.

Undisputedly, the best part of that book was when the fire-demon stepped into the attic and whacked his head on the doorframe. I read that in the car and cracked up. My family thought I was going crazy until I read it out loud.

Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:09 am

I was laughing nonstop throughout the whole book (especially Bartimaeus's POV), though I admit some parts were funnier than others.

Again, if you haven't read the second book, go buy it. Now. It's fantastic.

There's a new contest on the official Bartimaeus website (http://bartimaeustrilogy.com). *goes off to work on entry* :D

Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:27 am

I read it in a tutorial class, couldn’t stop sniggering especially the footnotes *I always generally laugh at footnotes, terry pratchett uses them all the time* and I got a lot of dirty looks from the other people in my class, since it was a maths tute :P *looks innocent* I loved the bit when me was a mole :P and hit his head, for some reason just had to burst out laughing at that point :P Bartimaeus's POV is the best, i like his interesting attitude to everything funny. nathaniel is kinda, full of himself.

Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:39 pm

Ah yes, I read the first book of that...witty. Very witty. :D

*can't wait to get the second one*

((The prononciations are at the front of the book though, aren't they? o_O ))

Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:37 pm

I just saw it in the bookstore, was wondering whether it is nice or not. Since everyone seems to like it, I guess I'll give it a try.
Topic locked