SHHH!!! Can you read? Want to prove it? Meet fellow book worms and discuss the literary brilliance of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
Topic locked

Jennifer Government.

Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:30 am

Jennifer Government by Max Barry... I picked this book up several months ago, and found it really entertaining. Barry has a great rhythm to his words, and you can tell he worked hard on it from start to finish. There seem to be countless rewrites to it, and it shows.

I do see several flaws though- the most obvious being the puppy reference. He explains this on his website; http://www.maxbarry.com ... But I want that puppy, darnit! :P

Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:14 am

I loved this book. It's really nice to find a book that's fun and doesn't take itself seriously at all, yet still manages to be sharp and satirical. If you liked Jennifer Government, you should try Pirates of the Universe by Terry Bisson, which is another wacky sci-fi satire about capitalism and bureacracy gone mad.

Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:56 pm

I've never read the book, but I love the website. Maybe I'll give the book a try when I have time. :)

Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:42 pm

It is a very good book. I like the style of getting it from different view points.

I've read another book with that style before, but have forgotten the title.
Topic locked