Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:52 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Anybody read it? I thought it was pretty good. Erik seemed like much more of a villian then the victim he was in the play untill the end...

Does anyone know how much of the book is fact?

Semi Off Topic: The movie comes out this December...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:26 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

I never read the book but some years ago I saw the movie and I thought it was pretty good. And I didn't hear about a new movie coming out. Where did you hear it at?

Lovely Set By _jaye_

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:47 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

...I kind of have some kind of memory of a book named this, but I'm not sure it was this book. I only remember reading it a long time ago... (again I'm not sure if it was really the book that you are talking about) I think it had something to do with masks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:53 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

i remember that book, not very well, but i also did get to see the stage production, and i'll agree, he comes off nastier in the book, more sneaky and mean.

i believe someone mentioned it was based on a true story, and that the actual theatre in which i happened burned down shortly after, but i have no idea if they were pulling my leg...

and i'll be interested to see the movie, its been 3 years since i've read the book lol :P but recently read a humorous adaption by terry pratchett called maskerade, or was it lords and ladies? its quite good, but if you don't like satirical humor, avoid it like the plague.

If you see my sanity, get it to give me a call.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:59 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Oh that book was so odd. I had to read it in my Extended French program. It was alright, I had to do write an essay on it. The movie was a little um scary for my taste.

Set by Medli

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:42 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

autechre wrote:
i remember that book, not very well, but i also did get to see the stage production, and i'll agree, he comes off nastier in the book, more sneaky and mean.

i believe someone mentioned it was based on a true story, and that the actual theatre in which i happened burned down shortly after, but i have no idea if they were pulling my leg...

and i'll be interested to see the movie, its been 3 years since i've read the book lol :P but recently read a humorous adaption by terry pratchett called maskerade, or was it lords and ladies? its quite good, but if you don't like satirical humor, avoid it like the plague.
Well I think that there was some truth to it... But the Paris Opera House is still there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:40 pm 
PPT Baby
PPT Baby

Saw the movie long time ago, never read the book, but...... I do have the tape I fell in love with Phantom of the Opera when I first heard it. I've loved it since I was a little girl. I'm planing to go see the opera when I have the money.

everything falls apart
even the people who never frown
eventually break down

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:37 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

I haven't read it, but I know the story. I've heard some of the musical and loved it. (But then, I'm a Andrew Lloyd Webber freak) I'll probably read read it this year in french class.

It's a smart duck....watch it do math..........o.0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:52 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

The book has been on my "to read" list for quite some time now. I think I'll read it after I finish "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy."

And I hope to see the movie. :)

Post subject: :) lolies...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:03 pm 

I suppose you can say I'm somewhat of an obsessed fan. :D

I've read the novel in both English (translated) and its original French, although the French reading consisted mostly of reading my French-English dictionary.

It would be wonderful to see the Broadway production, but I live a bit away from NY and couldn't afford to go anyway. ^__~ I did, however, acquire a nice complete recording of it from a used CD store. Piano solo score is also wonderful.

The English translation I read reversed the story somewhat, having Erik tell most of his traumatic childhood events before going into the 'rest' of the story occuring at the 'present'...

A fairly heavy read, I found, though and it took me a bit of time to grasp the characters from Audiobook (Raoul and some other guy sounded identical).

Post subject: Re: :) lolies...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:57 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

griffy wrote:
The English translation I read reversed the story somewhat, having Erik tell most of his traumatic childhood events before going into the 'rest' of the story occuring at the 'present'...
Yeah, umm, In the one I read he didn't say anything in detail about his childhood... Maybe I just don't remember it... (I read it in English)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:12 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

autechre wrote:

The Terry Pratchett book is Maskerade...at the moment it's sitting on the shelf above my computer...I haven't read it yet, but it's next on my list. I tried reading The Phantom of the Opera when I was most obsessed with the musical in ninth grade...I didn't get through the whole thing, though. I should try it again, since that was a long time ago. I'd also love to read it in the original French, although I haven't been able to get a hold of a copy.

Set by Cleo_lo from set contest 2005

Post subject: Re: :) lolies...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:14 pm 

Collin wrote:
griffy wrote:
Yeah, umm, In the one I read he didn't say anything in detail about his childhood... Maybe I just don't remember it... (I read it in English)

;) I lost my pw to griffy... but...

Yeah, I read the version with pictures and BIG text. It was a children's book in english my sister read when she was very young. It's not exactly a children's book, but it was there, so I read it. :)

Post subject: Re: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:23 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Collin wrote:
Does anyone know how much of the book is fact?

The book was inspired by the mysterious disappearance of a famous opera singer in the early 1800s, and the workers and cast of the Paris Opera House's legends of a ghost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:57 pm 
PPT Baby
PPT Baby

Ive never read the book, which is weird because I'm obsessed with Phantom of the Opera... But trust me I will read it. I'm sure it's good though.

everything falls apart
even the people who never frown
eventually break down

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next