SHHH!!! Can you read? Want to prove it? Meet fellow book worms and discuss the literary brilliance of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
Topic locked

Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:28 pm

Cassi wrote:
Xil wrote:
Matt wrote:For younger people, classics like "The Very Hungry Catepillar"

Greatest. Book. Evar.

I dunno, I'm still fond of The Giving Tree. The Polar Express is nice too...

Heh, they're coming out with the Polar Express movie.. ^^

The Giving Tree was very good too. I was a fan of all Shel Silverstein's books. He was a great poet.

Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:07 pm

the thesaurus.
not the dictionary, its a bit preachy.

Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:30 am

matterbug wrote:Heh, they're coming out with the Polar Express movie.. ^^

I'm gonna try to kidnap a little kid to bring with me so I don't feel too stupid. XD

Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:37 am

The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro is a wonderful book I read in my English class during my senior year in high school. I really identifyed with Stevens, the main character. He is a butler in one of the last traditional English manor houses. The aspect of his character I identify with is the fact that he completely overanalyzes everything he says. Half of the first chapter is Stevens debating with himself over whether or not he is expected to "banter" with his new employer.

Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:50 am

To Kill a Mockingbird, of course. Lovelovelove. Um, and Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis - trust me, it's weird, but it's good. :) And hmm, let's see.. Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell, for all its difficulty and sheer non-basic-ness, is really a great book and has really changed the way I view the world, as did The Deadliest Monster by J.F. Baldwin (and any other Worldview-Academy-affiliated books).

I also think everyone should be forced to read Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli. I just think it's so sweet, lol.

Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:19 am

I don't think people should be forced to read anything- it'll lack enjoyment.

Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:48 pm

Yay, let's force people to read books!! nah. *shrug* People can read what they want. :P

Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:47 pm

Books I read for school that I think everyone should read:

-To Kill a Mockingbird
-The Miracle Worker
-All Creatures great and small
-Romeo and Juliet
-A Seperate Piece (it was boring the first time, but it's really good after reviewing it over)
-Catcher in the Rye (Recommended for older teens...some mature themes in it. Very good though.)

Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:29 pm

His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman (Northern Lights, Subtle Knife, Amber Spyglass) although the ending is very sad :(.
The View From The Mirror trilogy by Ian Irvine, and the Well of Echoes trilogy (in progress) by the same person, which continues the first series. Very good reads (i prefer multiple rather than single books). Other than that, maybe the Lord of the Rings (yet another trilogy lol :P). But those are just my views. As you may have noticed, im a sci-fi-ish-fantasy-type person. lol.

Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:29 pm

Igg wrote:I don't think people should be forced to read anything- it'll lack enjoyment.

I dunno, I still enjoyed Lord of the Flies...even when I read it last year, it was very pushed on me by my teacher, and wasn't really a choice. =P

Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:21 pm

everyone over 16 or so should read "A child called It". very moving, very inspriring. I won't go into the content since I don't think it is appropriate for younger kids to see, but it is a very well written life story.

Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:31 pm

has anybody read the book Follow the River?
I think everyone should at least give it a shot because it is a true story and it is an awesome book. If you read or have read it tell me what you thought of it.

Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:42 am

Lisa and Jesper are both must read books, if your into that kind of thing.

Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:13 am

The Giver
Stranger in a Strange Land *points to custom title*

Enough said.

Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:01 am

I think everyone should have to read

-The DaVinci Code (I know some religons don't like it but its fiction and it deserves to be read by the world)

-The Lovely Bones

-To Kill a Mockingbird

-Of Mice and Men

-Goodnight Moon( a must read for all little kids)
Topic locked